SaintToad's WIP - Page 3
Page 3 of 97 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: SaintToad's WIP

Your gnome turned out excellent! I look forward to how you do more with the goblin.
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Ha! I love the base you did with your gnome guy, can't wait to see what you do with the goblin.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Thanks, guys! Welcome to my WIP. Please stick around!
    I've got something ridiculous in mind for the basing of this crazed goblin. I hope I get several hours to work on it tomorrow.
    Name:  30X.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  140.0 KB
    Do these shadows look dark enough? I'm not done blending them in yet, but I'm wondering if I should go even darker in a few places. And if so, what can I use to darken it up without simply adding black?

IIf you can try to start working into your painting a bit of color theory.this will help give purist/and more naturalistic looks to your work ,more pleasing to the eye.what I mean is the first thing I try to convey to people is tonal variation.meaning the use of complimentery / analogous colors into your shades and highlights. Where there are no notes written in stone you can try something like this:
    Greens/ reds are compliments so if you using green add some dark reds worked down through purple into the shadows.and when highlighting instead of adding white to the original base you can use analogous colors to highlight , an example woold be yellows mixed with your green and so fourth.
    If your doing a red it's the reverse obviously.
    Now jar head came up with something awhile back we can take it further to "shade with cool complimentary colrs and highlight with warm analogous colors.:
    Let's say I'm doing a red so I want to shade with a green ,but not just a green ,a green mixed with a cool grey to make it a cool complimentery tone.you see!?
    Now to highlight that red I want analogous colors like reds,oranges,yellows etc. Now to get the a lighter highlight I may add a bleached bone to give it a lighter appearance and keeping it warm. These are all just examples and this is obviously only one facet of mini painting.try to do some reading on "Oz painters mainly medieval "the stop sign rule" to get a better understanding on light placement.along with getting Betty Edwards color theory book.and FOGOPEDIA" BY JEREMY TOBOULE. AND OF COURSE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE the skills like "2 brush blending" cause you'll need these basics mastered to move on to more fun avenues like NMM and such other things.
    Either way keep going with this as it appears you have a talent for painting and modelling and you'll be having better and better mini's time after time!
    A pleasure to meet you and view your work bud

Thanks, BAM, for the detailed reply and welcome to my WIP. Thanks, also, for the comments in my gallery.
    When you say "add
    some dark reds worked down through purple," do you mean to start working dark red into the saturated midtone green, getting into purple as I get darker? Am I ever actually seeing red emerge, or using it solely as a means to darken and desaturate the green? Or do you mean something else altogether?
    Anyway, thanks again. I appreciate the input and hope I can put some of your advice to work.
    Last edited by SaintToad; 10-31-2015 at 02:37 PM.

Well your gnome turned out amazing. It's base is perfect! So jealous
    i would be really curious to see some purple/red tones as well! Bloodasmedium does a cool pinkish lips thing which I think looks cool! Don't know if it's plied to this one though.
    The mouth looks very realistic, super eager to see how it turns out!

Heye , forgive me bud for not being clear,you could do it that way,but remeber "the roof shingle step ,overlap pattern" that we do with highlights/etc ,what I meant more is use either or ,but as you approach the recesses just use a less diluted red or purple and after layer after layer it should start to intensify ,each time your doing a roof shingle pattern as you approach the darkest recesses.
    And there is an even further way some folks do it (I dont),but some use a highlight /midtone /and a shade for both the highlights and then a seperate highlight/midtone and shade for the shade.I would recommend this as you can get amazing results using a 3 -5 color.3 colours is (shade midtone highlight) and 5 color (mostly what artists use , shade/midshade/midtone /mid highlight/highlight).
    Not to confuse you try just using red,then either a darker red,or a bit more diluted) over and over going more and more towards the recesses.

For example under the armpits ,and under his booties and under his chin. Eg start with a deep red and further out let's say near the armpit / Back lat muscle.and get stronger and more intense as you approach the actual "pit of the armpit".
    Note:as you approach further and further to the pit you'll start darkening your red. Remeber you GLAZE on these shades not wash.
    If you still don't catch my drift,lolololol go on youtube and look under" ultimate blending" -juicing. You'll see exactly what I mean.the you'll have that Aha moment mate.trust me you'll get what my psycho babble means.lol
    Last edited by BloodASmedium; 10-31-2015 at 06:48 AM.

Heye are some pics .this whole red thing I'm trying to push you to do ,would be tried on a future model as this is a bit darker green.this is why my Bae color is a bit lighter and desaturated so when my shades are kid it it gives instant highlights etc.so here are some images look at my ork nobz unit for crystal brush look how I worked the reds into the greens on the outer arms (the orks back shot) and into the goblin busts cheeks and nose ,REM red compliments green.Name:  orksbackview__sized.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  307.5 KBName:  orkscloseup__sized_l.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  299.9 KBName:  orksleftview__sized_l.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  282.7 KBName:  img_0520__sized_l.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  279.4 KB now if your gonna use dark colors ,like dark green,they still need light enough to where your shades show.took me alot to try this principle out and I wish I could've started it a long time ago.lol so again look at the juicing video and then look at these images again and you get it to click mate.any questions just ask and ilk keep trying to be clearer to make it sink in the brain.)

And BAM has adopted another talented novice.

You're cheating on me BAM....I thought we had something special.....
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

YOU RIPPED MY HEART OUT AND TREW ME AWAY LIKE A DIRECTLY SHOE. - ITS OVER!!!!
    lololol I'll be here all week folks.lolol

Quote Originally Posted by ArchArad View Post
    And BAM has adopted another talented novice.

You're cheating on me BAM....I thought we had something special.....
    ........and what am I, chopped liver?
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    ........and what am I, chopped liver?
    Lol. You started it with your indiscriminate hugging of young blondes! But you can be my bit on the side DR.
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

Thanks again, BAM, for your detailed and helpful tips! For this guy I want those shadows to be a bit bluer. I think I'm going to use some reds/pinks in the face and on a few body parts (lips, elbows, knees, nipples), but overall I don't want him to become too warm. However, what I am hoping for in the face -the lips in particular- is very similar to your handsome/ugly nobz. One thing I really love about orcs & goblins is the huge range of skintone palettes that look cool and effective. I definitely look forward to using that very dramatic red-in-the-shadows palette soon!
    Dragonsreach, thanks for having a look at my WIP. Feel free to punish ArchArad for her defection by offering the help she would have received to me.
    Today I spent a bit of time trying to smooth things out a bit and started the process of highlighting up the greens by adding yellow. I have a question, though: Since I'm planning to add the red highlights e.g on the lips, should I start building that in now, or should I paint him up all green and then superimpose the complementary color on top of the already-highlighted surfaces? I shall hopefully have an opportunity to work on him again later.
    Name:  IMG_6998.JPG
Views: 304
Size:  148.9 KB
    Thanks again, everybody, for the help. Happy Halloween!
    Last edited by SaintToad; 10-31-2015 at 03:07 PM.

Lol. You started it with your indiscriminate hugging of young blondes! But you can be my bit on the side DR.
    ​Hugging of young blondes is very rarely indiscriminate.

Hehe. Thanks for taking our hijacking of your WIP with such good grace.

FYI: It was a blonde other than myself! *shocking*

I'm really just a novice, but I'd probably do some more work on the highlighting of the skin before coming in with the red/pink. Then you can glaze a thin layer of the greens over that just to tie it together.

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

Name:  20151031_205820.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  1.82 MB
    Name:  20151031_205828.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  557.8 KB
    Name:  20151031_210233.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  617.6 KB
    I did work on the yellow highlights more, although I think I'll still do some more. I started placing the red & pink touches, sort of thinking of BAM's orc lips as I did.
    I also still need to tie the reds in with green, but I have a painting set-up that forces me to lean in under my lamp a bit too far... after a few hours, I get a headache. Yeah, I know it's not a smart thing to do.
    I'd definitely take some advice on how to do orc teeth. I will at least be yellowing them a bit.
    Last edited by SaintToad; 10-31-2015 at 09:23 PM.

No no no your not doing it right. If your going to learn anything from BAM your going to have to get those fingers dirty. Achieve the zombie thumb look then all minis you paint will turn to gold, just like BAM. Don't tell him I shared this secret with you.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Ah... I knew I was missing something.
    This is obviously the place for me to grab my halloween costume hand and hold up my mini for inspection... You'll just have to use your imagination.
    Name:  20151031_235546.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  850.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    ​Hugging of young blondes is very rarely indiscriminate.
    Very True
    FYI: It was a blonde other than myself! *shocking* .
    Hey I'm almost Sixty, I'll I can't afford to say no these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Name:  20151031_205820.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  1.82 MB
    Name:  20151031_205828.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  557.8 KB
    SaintToad, looking at the figure I see that this is a point where I suggest you need to "Put the handbrake on" for the Greens and Yellows.
    On the stomach area there are some scratches which need to be emphasised, now were it me doing this I'd use thin red for the 'inset' of the scratch and pick up the edges in a pale green (Something like Vallejo Model Colour Pastel Green).
    Now in the bottom of the two pictures if you look at the area close to the mouth there's a slight tinge of Purple to the skin tone I'd suggest that increasing that tone and using it again in some shadow areas will increase the visual impact of the mini.
    Lastly (for now) the knuckles, elbows and knees, mix a bit of skin tone into your green and glaze up to the reddish areas that will help to pull the work together.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

NNow you see ......wonderfil.....and to think because you've added red you've warmed up a otherwise cooler model..did I mention that is the other way to show contrast to a model by introducing a balance of warm and cool tones... (BAM stands proud as another young talent grasps the ideas he advise to be puts fourth) clap clap clap clap,level up ...find the nearest save point and save the game.lol

And I'm sorry but to answer your question late yes paint all the colors you do like the full skin with highlights and shades and the later you can add on the reds.

And in addition take Dragonsreach advice on the purple and the skin tone thingie ,because those orks I showed you that won me a crystal brush were actually based on ideas and advice from that wonderful man himself.watch taking all the advice and additions is going to be why you increase so much quicker than others..your gonna see there's already improvements bud.remember you probably havent gotten to it yet but putting a "clotted or deep red" in the actual inside of the scratch marks ...itl make the model pop more ,it will show contrast through complimentery colors and it will break up an otherwise large area.
    Last edited by BloodASmedium; 11-01-2015 at 05:45 AM.