SaintToad's WIP - Page 43
Page 43 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: SaintToad's WIP

Very nice conversion. Put a skull in his hand and it could be a depiction of Hamlet's "To be or not to be" soliloquy.

I'm enjoying the latest batch of figures.

Thanks, Capt. the 'selfie' remark definitely has me thinking about adding an item in the hand. A Yorick skull would work, although I was also considering some dripping water effects after the Aeron Damphair reference. Heart removed from sacrificial victim's always an option, obviously...

The conversions look great Saints. I really like how that pale skin turned out. Still in awe of your tabard on the marine as well!

Thanks, Darth. I'll have try to get some shots of the completed marine for my gallery... I'm proud of him!
    Here's a bit of progress on this latest pilgrim. Truth be told, he's fighting me all the way and I don't feel like I have control of the paintjob yet, but it's been a crazy few weeks and I'm just trying to hold the brushes as often as I can. As of now I have nothing in the 'selfie hand', but that could possibly change later on.
    Name:  20160914_213926.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  303.0 KB

Watch me hit this 3 pointer one handed.... I do enjoy you're conversions and kit bashes, despite my silly humour

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    Watch me hit this 3 pointer one handed....
    Nice one, Sicks. That is exactly what that looks like!
    I'm still experimenting with textiles, and here's where I am on my current millennial zealot. I may start glazing back into the robes to reduce the contrast or adjust the color. Skin is not finished, I just wanted to see if my overall plan was going to be worth pursuing. C&C is welcome.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  298.3 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  298.4 KB

More textural detailing and then some ink glazes (green, red, sepia, brown) onto the robes, another, lighter midtone layer on the skin, and a start on the beard. I wasn't happy with the look of the robes, so I tried to work the suggestion of some strong colors into the large area of the cloth without actually establishing the color that it is, if that makes sense.
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  311.7 KB

Very nice, what kind of cloth is it supposed to be? Looks kind of like a sackcloth.

Name:  6251869-Texture-of-sackcloth-close-up-Antiquity-environment-Stock-Photo.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  164.4 KB

Thats a really nice effect you've got there Saints. My only suggestion is to darken the shadows a little more, just to help up the contrast a little. That must have taken you ages!

You are getting a nice burlap feel to this. Very cool effect.

Cheers, guys. Magma, that's just the look I was hoping for. Sacking/burlap (not sure if there's a difference) which has all sorts of interesting variations up close, but looks sort of tan at a distance. Darth, I'm not sure if I'm done adding depth to the shadows, but I did darken them a bit and tinted them over toward sepia, which changed the overall look for the better, I think.
    Name:  20160918_112610.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  309.3 KB

Hes looking great, maybe add some yellowing of the beard around the mouth?

The robe looks awesome. Maybe some green baking soda/cotton wool for algae?

Looks great mate, very believable sack cloth. Nice ideas from Dazzler and Sicks. What are these pilgrims for? You planning a dio (sorry if you've said already I missed it and I'm being lazy )

Love the texture you got on this one, looks like an improvement from your last try ^^
    The colour variations were very noticeable on the previous shot, now with the new shadowing they get lost a little, but they are still noticeable a bit. I may steal your idea if I ever paint a monk miniature or similar. I like it lots, congrats on your experiments!
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
    Sicks, I've had more desire than time to paint in the last day or two, but I've been looking at photos of cool beards and I'll try to incorporate a bit of a yellow tinge into the beard to make it look less sterile/clean. Thanks for that.
    Dazzler, I'll keep that good idea in mind, though I have a few ideas competing in my mind for the final scene. I take it you vote for Aeron Damphair?
    Darth, I just wanted to do a few figures that weren't overloaded with weaponry. I don't have any particular plan for them. Fun conversions, too.
    Maenas, I'm glad you like this sackcloth texture. I do, too. I think that 'overwriting' some of the color helps tie the shape of the robe together a bit, while still preserving some visual interest. And you are always quite welcome to steal whatever you like from my WIP or projects!

He's looking really good SaintToad.

Texturing is great fun and challenging. Observing textiles IRL the pattern of the weave will be less apparent in the shadows but becomes more apparent as the light catches it on the highlight ares. I think the key using these sort of patterns is to keep them from overpowering the sculpt, they should suggest the texture of the material without the texture becoming the sole focus of the area. I think you are doing this pretty well. Offering a little target for improvement trying to get the width of the light colour strokes down a little and making the dark colour areas much smaller will make the whole pattern look tighter and more realistic and in scale (its a big ask at this scale of course). Top stuff though mate.

Thanks, guys. Obviously I'll take the praise of the micro-master himself, Tero, and Stew, your analysis and advice is spot on. Glad you like my efforts!
    I came down with a cold, so I couldn't really paint for long before I quit to feel sorry for myself, but here is a tiny bit of progress. I did the wrappings (at least the whitening- they'll probably also get dirtied up), the mouth, and I tried to apply a bit of yellow ink to the beard, as Sicks suggested. Perhaps you can see a difference (?), but it's likely not bold enough to make an impression.
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  306.0 KB