SaintToad's WIP - Page 44
Page 44 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: SaintToad's WIP

Looks great man and yes you can see the yellowing. Maybe needs to go to a dirty brown in the corners of the mouth? That's a minor critique though as he looks great

Looks good,subtle but noticeable, you could also add a touch of orangey brown in line with the centre of the myth and under the nose which would give the appearance of a smokers beard but that's entirely optional

Yep the dirtiness of the robe does suggest he'd have a dirty beard, so I'd go a bit stronger on the yellowing.

The texture on the robe is fantastic and really filthy looking. He looks like you'd smell him before you saw him!
    I think the beard & hair still need to look dirtier with some streaks of brown & sepia but that's a minor issue.

It is a fool who disregards such consistent advice!
    Name:  20160922_174848.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  295.8 KB
    Picture is pretty hazey, but I've done the metals, added sepia and brown inks to the beard & hair, red & blue to the face itself, added highlights to the skin, grimed up the hand & feet wrappings, and painted his little purse. I think I'm more or less finished here, pending any final advice from you good people, and I'll have to figure out which of the competing base ideas I'm tossing around I actually want to build most.

If you could tone down the last high on the skin and then redo a more fine high, I just feel it look kind of funny right now. That material is epic bro!

Man is it looking fine! I'm really feelin the burlap vibes! As you and I discussed, it would look awesome if he had some animal guts in hand. I am just getting jitters thinking about a spooky haruspex reading some goat intestinal ulcers in the woods! It would look awesome if you had a base with some fallen trees, fungus, moss, the whole forest shabang!! It would be difficult, but pulling off the priest-of-Vulcan vibe would be legendary! With such detail, I don't think it's fitting to use a game base, rather, a display base. You have been on quite the painting streak recently, to the point where the legend of the website himself, Sproket, responded with minimal criticism. Keep it up my man! Hope to see the intestines soon!

Dammit, you blew my cover! I was trying to play that Sproket thing cool! Haha!
    Well, Hero, you sort of blasted the other options out of consideration. That scene you described sounds awesome! I'm not sure why, but I was imagining a damp, dark forest, too.

Truly, you have been blessed.

the forest sounds perfect.

Loving this fanatical pilgrims clothing...

Tero, I'm trying to figure out exactly what you're seeing. I might wait until you see a less harshly-lit picture before I alter the skin; it looks like the highlights go up really high, but actually I didn't get beyond Reaper Fair Highlight (so not into Ivory or anything). If you still feel it's too harsh after another picture, let me know and I'll try to address it. Now if you tell me it's not blended as nicely as others can do it, I'll just admit defeat on that one!
    Here's a first bash at the base. This is actually the biggest base I've ever done, and I'm not sure I'm going to like this larger size with a 28mm figure, as I tend to like to keep things neat & tight. But I want to try to let the 'camera' drift back over a bit more of the cool forest 000Hero described! With that in mind, I have plenty of room for mushrooms, plants, moss, etc. Also, I think it will be a pig being sacrificed, rather than a goat. I was unable to procure a suitable goat, but I have chosen a decent pig as an acceptable sacrifice.
    Name:  20160924_120118.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  217.3 KB
    You can see the washes (second, more colorful washes after some inks to darken things up) still really wet on there. I love the portion of basing when you just get to sort of slop things on there and mush them around to your liking. It certainly helps to create the impression of progress!

Next stage:
    Name:  base2.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  396.5 KB
    Same harsh lighting is making piggy look brilliant white, which he's not.

This is all turning out great. Can't wait to see it on the finished base.
    I paint fantasy miniatures and post the pictures here.

Thanks, Warrior4520! I'm moving quickly toward the end now.
    I went outside on this sunny day to try to get some better light, but my phone's camera still seems to be struggling with reading whites against darker colors. I've got more crap to add to this jungle, but you should be able to see the composition of the scene, at least.
    Name:  20160924_165856.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  365.5 KB
    Last edited by SaintToad; 09-24-2016 at 05:09 PM.

Looks great saint, my tablet camera struggles reading colours too, I'm basically forced to use a gw box ripped open, the grey inside seems to help sort out the colour balance. I love the dank forest base too

More details added to the basework. I'll go back in and add little highlights to pick out the oak leaves in the foreground once the glue and washes are good and dry. Though you can't really tell, I also did some glazing of a flesh tone back onto the midtone areas of piggy, as she did look a tad too white; I think I was able to retain the texture of the whites underneath, which were stippled to look like fur.
    Name:  b4.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  332.0 KB

Finished, perhaps. I had planned to make the setting a bit more overgrown, but I think I like the way things looks. Hmmm...
    Tried to make the fallen oak leaves look a bit more decayed and irregular and added a little crow.
    Name:  done?.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  395.4 KB
    Last edited by SaintToad; 09-26-2016 at 07:17 AM.

I personally think the scene could use a toadstool or two. Other than that, it's looking fantastic!

Almost BaM-esque levels of gore there. I think it looks brilliant: I also second the mushrooms.