Page 64 of 73 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1457

Thread: SaintToad's WIP

I think the problem was that the medium was not fully dry, and still water dried faster than it impeding the medium to fully cure... how about making a couple of punctures with a needle? maybe that will help the dry process... after that if in a couple of days there is no difference at all you could always cut it out and refill as you suggested....
    Feel free to come by my WIP or have a look into my Gallery
    Voted on 5377 out of 235568 minis, and also left 847 comments on Cmon Gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    I think the problem was that the medium was not fully dry, and still water dried faster than it impeding the medium to fully cure...
    That seems right, though it had been about 3 days (the label said 24 hours to cure). Anyway, I siphoned out as much as I could with a brush and let it dry again/more. I've got more work done around it, after which I'll see how it looks and if I need to try your suggestion, Maenas.

Here are protoplasm effects (ok, it's just Still Water built up into weird little humps, some tinted with inks, some clear) drying:

Name:  12 IV.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  381.1 KB

I have no idea what it is, but it looks brilliantly eldritch and ethereal. Good use of water effects, I've never had your current issue with them so I'm afraid I've got no suggestions.
    Wood on that chest of drawers looks great
    error 404: signature not found

I second what Foxtail says...its a lovely little alternative diorama. Nicely leftfield and creative as always Toad.

Always a bonus to see people pushing themselves to be creative outside of the 'miniature' box.

Can't really offer any insight into the water effects unfortunately as I have no experience with them.....something to add to the list of new things to try though.

Great WIP thread as always.

Hi, Fox & Hair... Sounds like Aesop.
    Thanks, Foxtail, about the wood. I believe I've got the water on the goblin sorted, mostly. I think Maenas is right about the cause, but I've figured out how to keep it clear, I hope.
    Hairster, I like fun little modeling projects. They often resuscitate flagging motivation for me. I'm always happy if others enjoy them, since they aren't really mini-related, exactly.
    Also,
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    alternative diorama
    Thanks! Now I know what to call them!

I need your eyes and judgement. I've blacklined K'Lok using Reaper Liner Paints (blue & brown). I used them because the name says I should, but I'm not really sure if they're opaque enough to achieve the effect you imagine, BAM. They are dark, but rather translucent. What say you?

Name:  12IV.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  289.2 KB
    Last edited by SaintToad; 04-13-2017 at 04:24 PM.

I use them all the time but there is only ONE way to get them from transparent to thick - SHAKE THE SHIT OUT OF THEM TO MIX THEM properly,I run into the same problem but that's before I violently shake them for 30 seconds.....guaranteed to work.it will come out viscous if you do this. lemme know!!!

Work on base for K'Lok. Next I'll be laying in the seawater. I'll give blacklining him another go later.
    Name:  141.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  337.3 KBName:  142.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  316.3 KB

Default Charge!

Progress on one of several ongoing projects:
    Name:  l1.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  313.2 KBName:  l2.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  329.1 KB

The leaves are supposed to look as if the wind and the rush of our hero's charge are blowing them up!

Name:  l3.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  344.9 KBName:  l4.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  325.8 KB
    Last edited by SaintToad; 04-15-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Toad.... Are you trying to hide the white water from us? Could we get an angle of you fix?

By the way, where did you get those leaves, I could really use some of those.

Looking great Toad. Blend on the shield and the weathering is fantastic. Nice use of the water effects as well
    error 404: signature not found

Thanks, friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Size000Hero View Post
    Toad.... Are you trying to hide the white water from us? Could we get an angle of you fix?

By the way, where did you get those leaves, I could really use some of those.
    No, Maenas was correct that the curing process had been interrupted. Once I got the resin exposed again, the cloudiness cleared up. You can see one of the splashes holding up a leaf if you look closely. The leaves are by Mig Jimenez:

Name:  20170416_012857.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  417.4 KB

Last evening I decided to speed paint a figure focusing on exaggerated textures. This funny fellow took about a day of work. I'm not sure whether to put him on a gaming base or create a little scene.

Name:  20170416_135224.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  308.4 KBName:  20170416_135212.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  310.5 KB

Toad everything looks great !
    This last guy looks very good ! Only one day - CRAZY ! Of course you should make a create a little scene for him

Quote Originally Posted by ROTTEN_FACTORY View Post
    Of course you should make a create a little scene for him

No problem! I've since removed the purple rock and have begun working on a fun magic effect.

Name:  20170417_191200.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  329.2 KB

That guy looks awesome, great work on the textures, and all the colors play very nicely with each other.

Hey SaintT you are cranking up work almost as if you were BAM itself.... congratulations I love each and every piece you are finishing, each one with it's own traits and character.

I am happy if I had helped you with that water medium issue, I recalled reading/watching somewhere that drying times differ on all those vallejo mediums.... ^^

Sandy base for the K'lok looks excellent both in texture and colour and this last "one day" miniature is a nice display of textures and looks like a necessary exercise that I should perform one time or another...

Quote Originally Posted by fluisterwoud View Post
    That guy looks awesome, great work on the textures, and all the colors play very nicely with each other.

Thanks, man! I was really pleased at how he came out so quickly. The bright, saturated colors were fun to paint, for sure! One of my favorite (semi)-'real' artists is a guy named James Christensen, whose paintings often feature over-dressed little peacocks like this one. I'd like to use this friendly, quickly-done 'style' on some gaming minis, maybe. My friends and I have vague but grand notions of an RPG/dungeon crawler cobbled together from several systems/sources and our own ideas/imagination.

Hey SaintT you are cranking up work almost as if you were BAM itself.... congratulations I love each and every piece you are finishing, each one with it's own traits and character.

I am happy if I had helped you with that water medium issue, I recalled reading/watching somewhere that drying times differ on all those vallejo mediums.... ^^

Sandy base for the K'lok looks excellent both in texture and colour and this last "one day" miniature is a nice display of textures and looks like a necessary exercise that I should perform one time or another...
    Yeah, I have four different projects on this page of my WIP alone! You saved me on the water effects, bud, so thanks! I read your post in time and was able to just sort of siphon and scoop it out enough to just aerate the whole thing, and the white cleared. I had assumed I needed to cover it, but not so! The label says 24 hours to 'set hard', which is true, but I guess the chemical process goes on a while. I really like that base, so I'm glad I could save it. What say you: more leaves or is that enough?

I was going to construct an elaborate magic effect on this little vizier fellow, but I wasn't crazy about where it was headed (I forgot to take a picture, but it used tinted clear resin, my new favorite toy), so I reconstructed the original cryptic little scene, added some baubles, glazed some red & blue on the face & hands, and we're calling this done, start to finish, in four days, two painting and two for the base. Fun the whole way through.
    These pictures look very different because I took them outside. It is very bright today in Pittsburgh, but I shaded the direct rays with my hand from several feet away while I held the phone with my other hand. Real pro set-up!

Name:  OSF.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  341.1 KBName:  OSB.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  316.1 KB
    Last edited by SaintToad; 04-19-2017 at 08:11 AM.

[QUOTE=SaintToad;835055]
    What say you: more leaves or is that enough?
    I think they are enough, but the "blowed away" effect it's most evident only on the last shot, back view.
    On the other it may look a bit strange, but that's just my point of view, I understand what you want to achieve, but I am not sure if it's 100% succesfull at the moment. It seems a difficult effect to obtain without the leaves "effectivley floating".

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    ..../I shaded the direct rays with my hand from several feet away while I held the phone with my other hand. Real pro set-up!
    Super pro! xD ^^

On the still water uses... you can use it to put it on the windows (on real life I mean) I experimented with it and got some nice and some ugly LOL glass stickers.
    Take and old dish, put some drops of still water, add some drops of diluted/undiluted ink (one colour or more depends on your creativity), stir with a toothpick or an old brush like if you were marbling something, let dry, peel off once completely dry (it will shrink a bit) then you can stick it to a windowglass! I did this with my wife and spent some nice minutes doing something creative ^^

Great job on the wizard / Mage nice textures!!! Expert level

I am not sure if it's 100% succesfull at the moment. It seems a difficult effect to obtain without the leaves "effectivley floating".

Well, I'll maybe put a few more on and see if it looks better! I can definitely get some leaves elevated on the grass, but... frankly they're a pain in the ass to tint with inks, paint with stems & stuff (some of them), and glue. You basically cannot breath while doing it. It's not miserable, but it is taxing. I'm glad you said it needed more something; I'm not sure if it's simply more leaves that it needs, but we can find out.

On the still water uses... you can use it to put it on the windows (on real life I mean) I experimented with it and got some nice and some ugly LOL glass stickers.
    Take and old dish, put some drops of still water, add some drops of diluted/undiluted ink (one colour or more depends on your creativity), stir with a toothpick or an old brush like if you were marbling something, let dry, peel off once completely dry (it will shrink a bit) then you can stick it to a windowglass! I did this with my wife and spent some nice minutes doing something creative ^^

Ok, I lucked into the world's best niece & nephew over the last eight and five years. We are doing what you've suggested for a fun creative activity (which we all enjoy) next time they visit us! Super pro tip, Maenas. Muchas gracias.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Great job on the wizard / Mage nice textures!!! Expert level

Thank you, my man! Sorry no blood & guts this time!

Here is K'Lok's base after four layers of Still Water, three tinted with blue ink and the most recent (just poured) untinted.

Name:  20170419_194339.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  340.3 KB