Watching Paint Dry
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Watching Paint Dry

Default Watching Paint Dry

Ok I'm going to attempt to keep a WIP thread going, so to start this is the figure I'm going to start off with as of Sunday 18th October.

Sebastian Archers's lovely sculpt of Phoenicia, Arcane Spellcaster.
    As of today she is still in her packaging so, she will literally be fresh out of the box.

Let's she how she goes.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

*munches popcorn and watches from the sidelines,.. while I wait to make snide comments from the peanut gallery*
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
    *munches popcorn and watches from the sidelines,.. while I wait to make snide comments from the peanut gallery*
    lol xD

I'll be watching this grow . That is a nice sculpt, and seems to have lots of possibilities!
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Don't worry I have a plan (ish)
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    , and proud of it.

Yeeeessss ,a place I can poke fun at DRs age on a regular basis .
    its about time you found out how to use this inter web thingy me bob DR........

See ... Cause your old. Lolololololol

awesome DR so much can be learnt from you mate ( I want to say before you die but I want this bit to be serious) can't wait to see what you do with Sabs sculpt.
    Proud owner of a Teronus TMM original.
    Carpe Diem Carpe Nocturne

love the sculpt
    check out progress pics here: https://twitter.com/MiniMnstrMayhem

Currently working on minis for 2 other companies as my day job.

Yeah, great looking figure. I'm excited to see what you do with it.

She looks lovely. Look forward to seeing her progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrafirma View Post
    Yeeeessss ,a place I can poke fun at DRs age on a regular basis .
    its about time you found out how to use this inter web thingy me bob DR........

See ... Cause your old. Lolololololol

awesome DR so much can be learnt from you mate ( I want to say before you die but I want this bit to be serious) can't wait to see what you do with Sabs sculpt.
    Terra-floppy, just remember that Revenge is a dish best served Cold.
    ........And I'll have you know that the countdown to my first Pension is 75 Days from today.

(You know I love this community, where sarcastic humour, interest and sharing of techniques go 'hand in hand')
    , and proud of it.

I have a "Not so little helper"
    GIZMO is staying with us for a fortnight.
    Name:  20151018_111754-1.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  494.5 KB

Going to have to watch those hairs and teeth.
    , and proud of it.

I was thinking more the eyes as those are spookie.....

Welcome to the forums. Nice to see you starting a wip. I'm sure you will find lots of encouragement here to keep you motivated [end generic greeting].
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Welcome to the forums. Nice to see you starting a wip. I'm sure you will find lots of encouragement here to keep you motivated [end generic greeting].
    lol!

Good to see a new wip from you DR.

Name:  20151018_113537.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  1.59 MB

So so here she is straight out the packet and much to my surprise (and delight) not a moulding line to be found.
    Now my original intent had been to place her in a Desert like environment, but in order to do that I needed to put her on a larger than normal base. Somewhere in my painting room I know I have a packet of 80mm round edge bases. Can I find where we've (*) put them can I heck.
    A rethink was called for so instead a 50mm base and ruins in a jungle/rain forest was my option.

Name:  20151018_120630.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  1.29 MB

Name:  20151018_123336.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  1.22 MB

I have a supply of textured railway modellers plasticard, stuffs a bugger to cut but nibbling away with an old pair of GW yellow handled clippers then worked on with Wet & Dry gets the job done.
    Gravel, two grades of sand and then a mix of PVA and grass scatter (something courtesy of Massive Voodoo) and teased into position with a home made tool and the base was set aside to dry.
    (Oh and the blu-tack in the middle is where she's going to be placed.)

Name:  20151018_124135_002.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  861.1 KB

Now the figure herself has a slot base which I eased off then smoothed away the residue with care, then drilled and pinned into my custom made holder, leaving about a centimetre gap so she gets an even priming protection.

Name:  20151018_125151.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  987.5 KB

These are the skin tone paints I'll be using.

Name:  20151018_125219.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  858.1 KB
    And her she is ready primed.

(* Two years ago Fran got me a special hobby desk and got me to empty out my painting room. Since then I can't find a damn thing)
    I apologise for the un-rotated pictures as they were taken on my phone an it has decided that even if I tell the editor to rotate them it's going to ignore me.
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 10-19-2015 at 02:56 AM.
    , and proud of it.

Name:  20151018_150610.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  1.04 MB
    These are the colours I chose for her hair. I wanted to make her a Maureen O'Hara Redhead.
    The Heavy Sierra is the base, washed over with the Airbrush Mahogany, the with strands picked out again in Heavy Sierra, then strands in Flat Brown, Flat Brown and Orange Brown mix, Orange Brown and finally as an almost afterthought catch lights worked up with Orange Brown and Light Skin mix.

I'm to hold my hand up here as I was positive I'd taken pictures of just the skin tone done, but they are not in the camera roll?

Name:  20151018_150804.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  858.8 KB
    Anyhow a quick flash shot and then a closer shot about two hours (+/-) at this point.

Name:  20151018_150904.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  915.5 KB

To have a counterpoint to the redhair I've deliberately gone for Turquoise clothing.
    VMC Turquoise and Light Turquoise, worked with Deep Sea Blue and Ivory for shadow tones and highlights respectively. The Raphael 8404 2/0 definitely the "Go To" brush or the side straps.
    Name:  20151018_163140.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  775.3 KB

Name:  20151018_181010.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  847.4 KB
    Continuing the Turquoise dress theme I've used VMC Deep Sea Blue as the base and added a touch of Black glazed in for the shadow areas, then started adding small amount of Turquoise to gradually increase the highlights, switching to Light Turquoise then adding Ivory and finally a micro amount of White.
    So that was Yesterday's painting started around 12:00 noon finishing for the day at about 18:00.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 10-19-2015 at 04:06 AM.
    , and proud of it.

Loving the turquoise on the dress (its one of my favourite colours) it should go well with the pale skin and red hair.

Thanks for the neck workout as well

Quote Originally Posted by crystella333 View Post
    Loving the turquoise on the dress (its one of my favourite colours) it should go well with the pale skin and red hair.

Thanks for the neck workout as well
    Yeah between my Phone, this iPad and the hyperactive 18 month old Border Collie intent on nibbling my ear and nose this morning has been fun.
    , and proud of it.

Loving the blues on the dress Mike, the dark contrast againt's the highlights really mworks.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

The blue dress with the turquoise is luscious.

Thinking the same as Krule, that half skirt is killer! and I also like the "above the knee" boots.
    Super lovely doggy by the way! Will show the pic to my wife because she loves the dogs and is a fan of "the gremlins" movie
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram