Golden demon - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Golden demon

Hmmm... I just saw some photos of the top three squad entries on facebook. The lighting in the photos is not great for the gold and silver entry... but giving them the benefit of the doubt, it's still really hard to see how they could be above Andy Wardle's entry.

I´m not even gonna bother getting irritated. Given up on GW competitions all together. (BTW, they aren't painting competitions any more, they are "who can paint the minis as boring as they look on the box-competitions"). Freaking shameful.

Just to make myself clear I'm not ranting that I didn't get a finalists place (been there many many times before so use to it) it's the balls up with the system that's got me all of a tiz woz. I suppose moaning about it now won't change anything but it might inform others for the next GD .
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    I'm going to go out on a cynical limb here and say that it's not the high level of painting that is the issue, more that GW are looking to keep a "level" which they can use as a marketing tool.
    Choosing a painting standard which they can 'sell' to 14 year old 'Little Timmies' as achievable helps their sales.

Competition Level/Display level painting that is the "Norm" in independent competitions doesn't have the limitations that a market driven sole supplier organised competition is bound into.
    When you consider the competitions like Crystal Brush, Euro, World Expo and San Sevrino (?) GW's comp has become something of a "Last Years Broken Toy" in comparison, and to me this current 'limited' version of Golden Deamon is seeming like a downhill slope to its eventual demise.
    Instead of cynisim if you posit the hypothesis that judges of Golden Deamon UK prefer (in general not always) the Eavy metal style executed to perfection the reasons why certain miniatures gets looked over tend to be more clear to me. Many people who try more advance lighting techniques can't keep the crispness/punch etc. of the paintjob that the judges of the GD like. There are quite simply more mistakes. There are a few that do though and they tend to almost always win. Like Sebastian Archer (Automaton). He won both single 40k and single warhammer UK the year he entered.

It's a bit like if you enter a music competition judged by heavy metal fans with a jazz piece. They will not always favour the heavy metal but it's easier for them to judge the quality, they have knowledge of what constitutes a good such paintjob and so on.

Hi guys, I went along to this too. I thought the coloured stickers meant a finalists place and my hopes raised a bit.
    i had a bit of a mixed feeling towards the day. Some parts were very good, had a chat with some of the 'eavy metal guys and heard some tips from them on how to get the contrasts that photograph well.

having Come from the GDs of 8+ years ago it was a bit of a shock. There were not many entries and not much for the non fanboy to do. The standard of the winning entries was very high but rather formulaic. I really liked the gold squad entry and can see why it won based on earlier conversations with the eavy metal guys.

I left feeling that there was an attainable standard that would do well. I just wasn't sure if I want to go down that route or not.
    i also realised that I need to get to know more people in this crowd so that it becomes a more enjoyable event and a social thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Avelorn View Post
    Instead of cynisim if you posit the hypothesis that judges of Golden Deamon UK prefer (in general not always) the Eavy metal style executed to perfection the reasons why certain miniatures gets looked over tend to be more clear to me. Many people who try more advance lighting techniques can't keep the crispness/punch etc. of the paintjob that the judges of the GD like. There are quite simply more mistakes. There are a few that do though and they tend to almost always win. Like Sebastian Archer (Automaton). He won both single 40k and single warhammer UK the year he entered.

It's a bit like if you enter a music competition judged by heavy metal fans with a jazz piece. They will not always favour the heavy metal but it's easier for them to judge the quality, they have knowledge of what constitutes a good such paintjob and so on.
    Well. Sort of would be a silly competition. I wouldn't take the contest seriously if the judges were unable to judge several types of music. Unless it was clearly stated that it was a heavy metal competition, then it could be a good heavy metal competition. As of now, GD is a good wavy metal competition, not a good painting competition.

And besides, this is a ridiculous claim, as we all know the judges ARE capable. They are all professionals with years in the hobby. They just prefer the eavy metal style as it suits their commercial interests. This couldn't be more obvious. More reasons to laugh at GD rather than attend these days:

- Artistic expression should beat perfection at all times. Display painting is an art form, not the reach for a flawless mechanical process.
    - There are better options.
    - Small contests with few entries. This has been discussed over and over.
    -People don't really seem to come out with nice things to say. This is more important than everything else ofc.

No disrespect to the winners. Surely they deserved to win and are good painters. But the fact that they profit from keeping their painting styles simple is dull. And it also takes away from the artistic liberty in the hobby. I don't care how perfect your painting is, I care wether others are inspired and go "oooooh, aaaaah". GD competitions has become like realistic paintings of flowers or kittens, sold at IKEA. Not really art. Really well done. But not art.

As for the comment about Seb Archer. That was a couple of years ago. Loads can happen in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    I'm going to go out on a cynical limb here and say that it's not the high level of painting that is the issue, more that GW are looking to keep a "level" which they can use as a marketing tool.
    Choosing a painting standard which they can 'sell' to 14 year old 'Little Timmies' as achievable helps their sales.

... indeed, exactly what I was getting at. Phneh, is all I have to say.

Go to agree with Lee the judging was fine no problem at all it was just the spots that spoiled it big time but judging was of a good standard.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    Just to make myself clear I'm not ranting that I didn't get a finalists place (been there many many times before so use to it) it's the balls up with the system that's got me all of a tiz woz. I suppose moaning about it now won't change anything but it might inform others for the next GD .
    Can you show some pictures of your entries please. thanks

I'm actually a man! Rose Model Art's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One thing that was telling was when speaking to one of the judges about some feedback, and the stickers, he did mention that they are looking for stuff that is interesting, striking and stuff that they can market.

So at least he was being pretty honest about them looking for stuff that will tie in with their own marketing needs.

Not the best but i can see why they do it.

However that doesn't change the huge inconsistency in some of the finalists and not finalist stuff.

I have a pic on my camera of a space wolf marine, its very neatly painted, BUT the base is a simple 'goblin green' edge and flock glued on, now while i realise bases arent supposed to be taken into account, when you see the work being put into stuff, then you see that gets a finalist, when in the end it was basic colours, and edge highlights (some grading shades but not much) it just got to me a bit as my stuff (and 10 ball and Andy) were just as good, and i would say technically better, but they didnt get finalist.

it smacks of an agenda.

However apart from squad, i agree with all the winners.

Quote Originally Posted by razza View Post
    Can you show some pictures of your entries please. thanks

Ok Darren I spoke to you a few GDs ago for a few tips and you were very helpful (you probably dont remember with all the other people you must speak to )

This was my entry on sunday.

Name:  attachment.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  95.0 KBName:  attachment-1.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  101.7 KB
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill

From a technical standpoint and I assume to know nothing first off because golden demon likes the winners to reflect their consistancy of their version of painted models it makes it tough to win for all who have another and equally impressive style to place-and this I feel needs to be understood.if this is the case then I ask would all those change the way they paint just to win a demon.I know I wouldnt.IOW it seems that the models picked favor a "general lighting"source over a zenithal lighting sorceror or a combination of the two.I think it's just what they look for and what photographs the best to attain this.either way their are so many amazing painters out there that all are worthy of winning weather they done so or not,included in this are rose,ten ,andy etc etc.their all amzing artists with or without placing and I wouldn't change a thing bout how they paint.ever.

Well I really enjoyed the Sunday. I found the event extremely well organised and with so much to see and do before i knew it they were announcing the winners. I really could of done with another half a day to get around the miniature halls and talk to more people than i did.

In regards the GD the quality of entires was outstanding and i was surprised to pick up anything let alone a Bronze! When i looked through the single miniature category my heart sank to see 3 to 4 amazing paint jobs! Lets face it we all think we can win otherwise why would we enter in the first place? 3 of those entries got the gold sliver and bronze so no arguments there. And speaking with Alan Merrit afterwards he even said it is so hard to pick between gems and i certainly don't envy his job. No mater who you pick someone will be upset!

The way i see it is a bit like gymnastics there are different styles that have different complexity to perform but you are still judged on the execution. If you pick a style that is as some might say easier to execute (which i don't think they necessarily are) and perform it perfectly surely that is better than a harder style with mistakes or bad blends?

A great example of this is Glazed Overs amazing sword win not only was the entry incredibly complex in regards to technique but it was flawless, utterly flawless. Was his style the only style that won? No, there was more realistic pieces and 'eavy metal style's as well.

I hope that there are more mini Demons as i really like the chance to focus on a theme. Bring on next year!!

congrats on the bronze Did you get confused on the finalist stickers or was it just me?

Blog Entries

Congratulations NuNu, what was your bronze in, category wise?

Well i took bronze in the unbound category, which sort of knocked me for six. I even went to the car to get my carry case to collect the entry as i was sure i had left with nothing.

I was not aware of the finalist pins problem until the Monday when i read some stuff on the net. I suppose we don't really know the rational but were they looking to only give out finalist pin to the top 5, 10 or 15? Making it a bit more exclusive than other years? I know i didn't get one with my placed entry, but i did get one for my space wolf, or was that the other way around!?! I dont know, all to confusing for me!!

Blog Entries

I only saw a few of the unbound entries, what one was yours? any pics?

I have these:

Space wolf: