Small pieces of grain on the surface of model after painting?

Thread: Small pieces of grain on the surface of model after painting?

Default Small pieces of grain on the surface of model after painting?

As the titles says:

I tend to experience small bits of unknown grain material that dries with the paint on the surface of the miniature? I use very dillute paint and make sure that it isn't dry...

So what can this be?

- dust
    - something you forgot there during preparation by not washing it properly after
    - partially set paint
    - the previous layer of the paint, that you damage as you apply the next layer before it's really set

most likely / often the first.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Tiny bits of paint debris out of the brush ferrule.
    That can happen to the best of painters as well as we normal Joes.
    Its just a case of regular brush cleaning / maintenance.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I get that too,.. but more often, I get random cat hairs, that just float through the air and land on my piece while it's still wet, and dry into my finish. So when I see it later and try to pick it off the model, it leaves a tiny mark in the paint.
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

If you are using tissue paper or similar, to wipe your brush on, it could be fibres from that sticking to the brush and ending up on your miniature. I use a piece of cotton cloth to wipe my brushes on.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Ritual View Post
    If you are using tissue paper or similar, to wipe your brush on, it could be fibres from that sticking to the brush and ending up on your miniature. I use a piece of cotton cloth to wipe my brushes on.
    wait what? i mean, you actually use it? or do you mean you just have a cotton cloth? hahaha

edit: wtf i thought i was up early! :O
    Last edited by SkelettetS; 11-06-2015 at 01:39 AM.

Some of the white paints out there ,when diluted ,seperate the pigment from the carrier . I've had this occur to me a lot too
    Proud owner of a Teronus TMM original.
    Carpe Diem Carpe Nocturne

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    wait what? i mean, you actually use it? or do you mean you just have a cotton cloth? hahaha

edit: wtf i thought i was up early! :O
    Are you nitpicking here! Use or have... I wipe my brushes on it. And, I'm in India... So I was up normal time!

ah, you do wipe your brushes anyway thats great! i was afraid you stopped doing that

india, cool. watch your stomach this time!

Stomach is fine, so far. However, flights home got cancelled again, due to Lufthansa strike, just like last time. It's sorted now, but it was a stressful couple of days until I got a new flight.

If you're using tap water and you're tap water has a high mineral content that might be it. Although it would have to be a really high mineral content for it to be grainy.

Newbie, please be gentle Big_Bunny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This used to happen to me. It just doesn't anymore. I can't really think of what I do differently, although I'm a lot more experienced now.

I suspect it used to happen because the paint was too thick and was drying to fast and as I have become more experienced I'm using thinner and thinner paint.

I also rinse out my brush in warm, slightly soapy water very often when I'm painting. Almost with every new application of the brush to the model, even if it's the same colour.

If you use wet palette, it happend to me one time that the baker paper get a bit ruined..

Also, I'm not sure but I got a light grey creating a bit of issues after I put some agitator ball in it ( and I found they were getting rusty!! )