Star wars Force Awakens. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star wars Force Awakens.

Quote Originally Posted by evl hmr View Post
    The clips alone have done enough to ensure I won't see Disney Wars. The 3 original films were a massive influence on my childhood, the later 3 films did damage to the franchise that Disney will now destroy. Sorrry, no interest in Mickey Skywalker .
    To be fair, JJ Abrams is doing his best to remain true to the original. He's using the original props, etc. (R2 is the origInal, the Millenium Falcon is the origins set with props-holotable), and has said he is toning down camera flairs and tricks to remain true to the story. He was even the one to personally get the original cast and REALLY wanted to put jarjar bones in the desert

I think the 'Episodes' will be fairly faithful, the others (Rogue One, Boba stand alone,etc. ) will be will be mouse formulaic as the Marvelverse.
    If you can name your paint colors blindfolded....you might be a brushlicker

Yip, this has a far more "original trilogy" feel than the prequels. As you say though, updated for a new generation.
    I think the issue is that it will never feel the same - I remember seeing a new hope as a 10 year old. How can that amazement possibly compare with a jaded 42yr old sick and tired of special effects?
    Its worth taking that into account when going to see it (I'm first in line on the 18th!!) and I think it will be enjoyed more.
    Its going to be great!!

I'm actually a man! Rose Model Art's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post
    Oh god that DnD film... The horror!!
    Its a guilt pleasure now and then, though its awful. Jeremy Irons gnashing at the scenery and Damadar, what a henchman level of over the top badness.

Blue lipstick anyone.

Class!

Oh god that DnD film... The horror!!
    Wasn't that bad.

Could have been a damn site better though, so much potential!!!!!
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Model Art View Post
    Its a guilt pleasure now and then, though its awful. Jeremy Irons gnashing at the scenery and Damadar, what a henchman level of over the top badness.

Blue lipstick anyone.

Class!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Wasn't that bad.

Could have been a damn site better though, so much potential!!!!!

I agree with the both of you. I love the OTT acting that Jeremy Irons does and the dragons also looked damn fine. If only that potential had been put to use on the sequel to it.

7 days! 7 effing days!

I can barely contain my excitement! I need to drown them in the Bar!
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemunkie View Post
    I have been wading my way through Bandai kits and playing copious amounts of Battlefront to get in the mood

Nice!

The kits that us in the western world can't buy anymore...

Well that was disappointing
    The film?

I loved it!

Sure it had some issues, but all films have that.

But they have managed to bring the magic back, and the new cast of characters where all amazing. Daisy Ridley is such a superstar, she nailed it as Rey.

Felt like a remake to me. But they can't do that again I suppose and I too liked Rey so I feel hopeful for the upcoming films.

Quote Originally Posted by Avelorn View Post
    Felt like a remake to me. But they can't do that again I suppose and I too liked Rey so I feel hopeful for the upcoming films.

It does feel like a remake, and I also see it as a mix between a reboot and a sequel. And I am fine with that.

Im off to see it tonight with my step son, looking forward to seeing it

Great movie. This is how it should of been done in 1999.
    Yes Rey steals the show.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

It does feel like a remake, and I also see it as a mix between a reboot and a sequel. And I am fine with that.
    Yea it definitely felt like a mix of reboot and sequel, I don't want to post spoilers so I'll leave it at that

And i agree that rey was the most interesting character, kylo ren was interesting for a bit but I think they revealed too much about him in one film

Wow a double hate post.
    JJ has done a great job under a lot of 'were all looking at you' pressure. This is not a 6.5 movie.
    But after saying that spacemunkie a lot of what you've said is true!
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Hmm seeing it Monday so I will be able to adjudicate and definitively state wether classic or reboot nightmare. I have spoken it is law
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

And for all the hate that the prequels (mostly deservedly) attract, they were at least their own thing - visually, script, story, characters. After watching this effort, I've actually got a bit more respect for them now.

Just can't help thinking that JJ put too much Star Wars into this movie. Even down to recycling unused McQuarrie concepts left, right and centre.
    Respect for the prequels? No way in all the layers of burning hell.

They had nothing what so ever to do with or in the star wars universe.

And I loved Kylo Ren. He is clearly a basket case, conflicted, troubled and unstable. But he is such an interesting character, with tonnes of development possibilities.

And the reason that they put so much star wars into the film, is that the fams wanted it. They needed to feel at home, needed to feel the magic from the 3 original films that they love so much.

And yes, this film needed to be for the millions of fans.

I can understand spacemunkies point of view, the prequels were awful in many ways but they did have a different storyline filling in the blanks leading up to episode 4, while force awakens must be a sequel as it follows the story after return of the Jedi but I can't escape the feeling that I've heard and seen the story before, hopefully they take it in a different direction but at the moment the next film seems fairly predictable, but maybe I'll be surprised

Respect for anything with Jar Jar Binks?!?
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Good point... Maybe respect is too strong of a word lol, and we can't forget the horrible acting of anakin as much as we might try. Don't get me wrong though, I did enjoy the new movie overall, but I think deep down nothing will compare to seeing the originals as a child

I'll try to avoid giving away any spoilers... though, to be honest, if you're trying to avoid spoilers why are you reading a thread about the movie!?

I'll give you that the story isn't the most original, they're borrowing a lot of plot elements from New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, but I don't think that's a bad thing. This is part sequel and part reboot. They've got to setup the new state of things, 30 years after the last movie, and introduce a new set of leading characters. In doing so, I think setting up parallels with the original trilogy is smart. Also keep in mind that this is the first of a new trilogy, so I give them some leeway there as well. I'm hopeful the next two movies will build on this one and take us in some new directions.

Overall, I really enjoyed the new film. It wasn't perfect, but it's far and above the prequels in my opinion. I'd happily watch it again.