Post-Apocalyptic Ad Mech (New Army Project)

Thread: Post-Apocalyptic Ad Mech (New Army Project)

Default Post-Apocalyptic Ad Mech (New Army Project)

Hello all, I'm brand new here and humbled and excited to be in your midst.

I'm relativity new to painting. (2 years) and have finally got something I'm considering at least good tabletop quality. I'm hoping that you can give me tips/advice on how I can improve my painting/style.

Here are the first few units of the Ad Mech force. The idea was to improve on what felt to me was the strange style of the Cult Mechanicus by giving the focre a mix of post-apocalytic/Imperial Guard and Skitarii elements. I credit Dr. Faust for the color scheme. (Check out his Kastelan robot tutorial on youtube.)

Anyways Here is the start of the Army:

What do you guys think so far? Any tips/suggestions or things that stand out to you right away? (Both good and bad)

I would appreciate your input. Thank you!

Heyo!

Someone once told me "Don't be dishearted by the lack of comments, it's a big forum"
    So, yeah... don't let it keep you down. Keep posting and comments will come.

More on topic. The kitbashing looks great, I really like the Ogre but they way you got the cloaks to work with the IG bits is awesome as well. Not to mention the paint job. You are doing great work and I look forward to seeing more.

Hi HCD.

On the whole the unit looks nice and the styling is good. They are a great table top unit.

To take it further I think you need to add more depth with shading and highlighting. For instance the scratches and numbers on the Ogryns gun looks about right but the underlying colour look a bit flat. The bases look nice and the small ones can be left as is. The larger Ogryn base could have extra detail added - maybe a rusted sign post, or some barbed wire.

Keep up the good work
    What you leave behind is not what is written on your tombstone but what is written in the heart of others.

Welcome to the forum. I like them and Nelsonmac and Iateyourbanana have good points. Tweaks to the ogres skin would take the units to a new level.

I'm no expert, but one thing I can suggest is looking at the additions of different colours to give each depth. It's most noticeable on the skin: because it's all one colour with one shadow colour the skin looks a bit flat. Yellows, blues, greens, purples will all add depth to the existing colour.

Look at your arm in a mirror: chances are you'll see hundreds of different colour tones in it. We can't replicate them all (well, unless you're Bailey, Bam or Sproket) but we should be able to add some layers of interest.

Your current paint jobs look very clean: you're certainly ahead of me on the basecoating and clean layering.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!