matte coat, primer and painting on top.

Thread: matte coat, primer and painting on top.

Default matte coat, primer and painting on top.

So I am going to be starting a new chapter in my painting. In many tutorials I have read a great deal about using a matte coat to seal a model as you are painting. However, I am NOT A DISPLAY OR COMPETITION PAINTER. I have every intention of using my models on the table top for years. I know that standard wear and tear is normal. HOWEVER, I am curious about painting on matte coat like testors dull coat. I have heard that the paint adheres fine. Is that true? if so, why? Primer creates a surface that paints can adhere to, does matte bind to said paint and create a surface with enough "teeth" that the layer you apply on top of that followed by the layer of sealant afterwards really seal models well. Is this coat applied on top of the matte coat really stand up to wear and tear?

My pieces are getting better and starting to get above high table top but before I take this next bold step into new techniques I want to ask some of you guys who use these techniques and play with painted models. I intend for my pieces to be beautiful AND last for as long as I can.

For durable gaming minis: prime, paint, seal with gloss or satin, seal again with matte. Using matte varnish is fine for getting paint to stick, but it will not bond with the surface like primer.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

You can easily paint on top of Dullcoate without any problem. I use it to seal pastel dust onto some of the busts especially in the hair.
    Never used it direct onto an unprimed mini though.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

so

Prime
    Paint
    seal with matte

at that point I could paint on top of the matte and that paint will hold as strong as the paint on the primer?

I paint on my matte all the time, works perfect when there are little details I don't want the matte effect on (glows, some metals, etc). However, if you use your minis for gaming, you should really use a gloss and then a matte, the matte alone isn't nearly as hard, for some reason.

I had some circuit boards I used for bases that I 'primed' with gloss, then put a wash and some effects on before I sealed them normally, and that worked just fine. In generally you'd be better off using primer, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoth View Post
    so

Prime
    Paint
    seal with matte

at that point I could paint on top of the matte and that paint will hold as strong as the paint on the primer?
    Nope, as Zab has pointed out, for improved duration you need to:
    1. Prime
    2. Paint
    3. Seal glossy
    4. Seal matte (if you want a matte finish)

Glossy varnish is more durable for whatever reason (I do not know why, but it is) I suppose there will be some brand out there with equal durability properties, but I always double varnish if I am going to play with the miniatures.

Sometimes (special effects or techniques, like sealing pastels as @DR has commented, or pigments, or even for jumping between oils and acrylics) you may want to seal in between paints so it will result in for example:
    1. Prime
    2. Paint
    3. Seal glossy
    4. Paint
    5. Seal Glossy
    6. Seal matte (If you want a matte finish)

I also would recommend you staying far from scale75 regular line of colour paints (I adore them now and they look superb, but without varnishing they are not resistant in any way to manipulation) Their fantasy line is supposed to be more resistant, but I still haven't tried it.
    Last edited by Maenas; 12-14-2015 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Edited to clarify my last sentence.
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

I use scale 75 predominately for my two table top armies, haven't had any issues with the paint rubbing off. That's interesting you brought that up, what issues are you having? Perhaps I just been lucky so far.

Not intending to hijack the thread, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun5603 View Post
    I use scale 75 predominately for my two table top armies, haven't had any issues with the paint rubbing off. That's interesting you brought that up, what issues are you having? Perhaps I just been lucky so far.
    I should have mentioned in my post that I was referring to them without varnishing/sealing (going to edit that now). It happened to me that while painting I handled the miniatures a bit with bare hands and while GW, and Miniature paints resist this, scale, in my case, do not. Also, it rubbed off while drybrushing. Whether this is due to its super matt qualities or due my layers being too thin or to the lack of pot-shacking I do not know.

Shit bro maybe you had a bad batch. Tho there paint is tough to work with and really need to be shaken well or will separate when you try to drop it out giving out that clear liquid first.

Paint rubbing off can also be from bad primer, if the primer doesn't adhere well to the mini then rubbing on the paint will cause the primer to disconnect and take the above paint with it. But what others have said about a glossy coat and then a matte coat is really the best way to protect them. Not only do you benefit from a double layer of protection, but if the matte starts to wear off it will become glossy and you can recoat it.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun5603 View Post
    Shit bro maybe you had a bad batch. Tho there paint is tough to work with and really need to be shaken well or will separate when you try to drop it out giving out that clear liquid first.
    Will try to shake them an extra minute xD Anyway as I normally varnish over them there is no problem. Thank you for telling me about your experience with them. ^^