Which sand paper grade for prep work

Thread: Which sand paper grade for prep work

Default Which sand paper grade for prep work

Looking into getting some, my only experience with wet and dry was for smoothing a paint job on my mates camper van which was 2000 gradeI think

I'm getting a nice 75mm fig for Christmas and I really want to do my best on it, I've got a model file but its getting old now and sometimes doesn't give a smooth finish but is still good for doing the brunt of the work so I'm thinking use that first then smooth with sand paper but I think a 2000 may be too fine, any help appreciated

400-600 is more than fine enough. Most smaller imperfections can be filled with a miliput wash and in fact, most primers fill in a anything small enough to be missed by 400-600
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

https://linktr.ee/AlmostPerftec

2000 grit will be close to the finest you'll need for metal, but for resin I prefer to go up to the finest pads I got from Sylmasta as resin sometimes isn't as 'forgiving' as metal for a fat innatentive hand.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Yea its a resin figure, its a nutsplanet one which I've never had any experience with before, hopefully it won't need too much prep work, sadly I don't have any milliput, don't think ill be able to get any before Christmas either as i would likely have to order it online, but I do have some green stuff

Halfords have assorted grit packs which I think goes from 800 up to 2000 so perhaps that might be a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    Yea its a resin figure, its a nutsplanet one which I've never had any experience with before,
    You are about to enter a world of excellence!
    Of the five NutsPlanet busts I've bought, not a one has any indication of a moulding line or other flaw.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    , and proud of it.

Thats good to hear I've invested in a w&n series 7 brush too and I'm getting the scale colours flesh and silver metallics sets for my birthday (which is Xmas eve so only a day to wait til I get the figure) quite excited to have a go with all the new stuff, plus I should be getting the zombicide black plague box in the post by then too, the last few months of next to no painting is paying off

A watered down liquid GS wash is just as good! I used it on my Steam punk Leia bust recently Nuts Planet does nice work - it'll be a dream to work on.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

https://linktr.ee/AlmostPerftec

Yeah really looking forward to it now, took me a week to decide which mini to get, I like superheroes so considered getting something from knight models, but decided the colour schemes were pretty much locked down and tend to only be 1 or 2 colours all over, then I got stuck on scale75 steam punk for a bit but in the end decided on nutsplanet red riding hood, I like the twist on the fairy tale they've done plus there's alot of bare skin for me to get some practice on, hopefully I can do it justice

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    I've invested in a w&n series 7 brush too
    Just the one? What size?
    For a bust you are going to need at least a size 2 or 3 for the base level skin tones and smooth coverage.
    , and proud of it.

Ive gota size 0 for now as that was the size I needed most at the time and I had to order it online which I was a bit nervous of for a good brush but there's no visible flaws with it

The model is a 75mm full figure rather than a bust, this one:
    Name:  745e35_b3f6b6ef24cb4a6d805d323e463407b8.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  122.1 KB

Edit: and she's arrived this morning, I was allowed a brief look before she got whisked away to be wrapped, look s like some minor mold lines but aside from that looks good
    Last edited by Sicks; 12-07-2015 at 05:33 AM.

I would say 600 grit if you really feel the need to sand but your primer should fill it in. There is a happy medium with thinning out puttys to brush into imperfections. If you run to thin it will pool in the cracks and be a pain to work around.