Testor's trouble

Thread: Testor's trouble

Default Testor's trouble

Lately, something has been off with my Testor's Dullcote. In the past, I've gotten perfect results every time, but lately I've been getting some trouble with it giving a slight, dull gloss (hard to explain, I'll try to capture it in a picture) as if covered by a grey film. It's not terrible, but it annoys me, as I am used to my minis looking BETTER after a shot of Dullcote. What is the reason for this? I tried storing the can in room temperature, didn't help. I tried shaking it more, and using lighter coats, and nope, still there. I do wonder if the white cans are more prone to this than the blue/white ones, even if the contents should be the same....

The only thing I didn't try, is spraying in a warmer room, the room I use now is kinda cold. Could the gloss I use under it be an issue? (I use a cheap non-brand intended for cars)

I do generally do not want advice on different brands, since I have several cans of Testor's and it has been the best there is in the past - but if you know of something great that I can run through my airbrush, I'd be happy to hear about that.

There are a few possible reasons.

Spraying in a cold environment is generally not a good idea. Most manufacturers tell you which temperature you should have at least.

Has the can been stored at temperatures below 4°C? Often this destroys the product. This is generally true for many brands and paints!

Afaik Testors is an acrylic paint. If the underlying layer is enamel there might be a problem with that: I have a cheap-ass enamel clearcoat that tells explicitly not to work with acrylic paints over it.

If there's frosting, try re-spritz the Dullcote in a warmer, albeit drier, environment. If that doesn't fix it, paint over with diluted olive oil, leave dry overnight, then re-spritz.
    Models completed in 2016 so far: 16
    Models in WIP: 22

tp://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/gohkm

I don't think the room I store the cans in get as cool as 4°C - but I might be mistaken. I used to spray there, but last night I moved into the room next to it, which is slightly warmer. I would assume that it is 10°C in the storage and maybe 15°C in the other room, but I don't really know this.

Gotta check if my gloss is enamel, it's the first time I hear this. Since it costs a small fortune to get the 'good' gloss sprays (I have to order online), I've settled for whatever I can get cheap, since the results have been good. I think I have used Testor's on this gloss before with good results, but I might be wrong.

.... what do I dilute the olive oil with?? But I try anything to get back the former glory of the Testor.

Water. Agitate rapidly and apply before it separates again.

I've also heard of folks that have experienced success using olive oil neat.
    Models completed in 2016 so far: 16
    Models in WIP: 22

tp://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/gohkm

Guess I just need to test it. I have some table top minis I need to neaten up anyhow. Either way - to keep it from happening is the most important bit, though now I have so much advice I'm not sure where to start! Sealing in a warmer environment is the first step, I think.

I had the same problem with a can recently. It looked like I hit the mini with gloss coat. I ended up getting a second can out and it worked perfectly. They were both stored in the exact same conditions. My initial guess was that the new packaging makes it possible that someone switched the caps in the hobby store (whoukd like to get my hands on the marketing genius that decided to stop labeling the can and instead just label the cap). Other posibility is that their was something wrong with the lot as the nozzle splattered more than I had ever seen...or possibly froze on delivery to the hobby shop?

Very similar effect at the tail end of my can of Dullcoat I suggest that you've got a duff batch. TBH I don't bother Dull coating anymore I think its better without.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

You could be spraying in an environment that is to cold like everyone has said. Another cause of fogging is spraying in high humidity. Something that helps a can that has been sitting around a while is to shake it under a flow of hot water from the sink.