Flunk WIP - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Flunk WIP

Guys, so I managed to finish her and she is in ye olde gallery. Not very many updates throughout this one because I have been extremely busy with work but thanks for those who commented. I realize my WIP thread isn't as in depth as other's but it really keeps me going. So once again, thanks beyond words, otherwise I would not be able to push myself to ever finish a damn thing.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/409582
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Most unique kick ass style ever!!!

very cool! pitty i cant see it in the flesh though, i think the images are a bit so-so

For me, it's impressive to get such level of detail. Keep on sharing your work with us, please. Thank you.
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Thank you, Skelly! I haven't improved my quality of photos over the years, unlike yourself. Shot with an iPhone 5s, ghetto tactics.... Maybe one day we can see each others works in person, I hope to travel to the UK/Europe for a miniature event, so it is not out of the question.

And no Maenas...thank YOU!

This will be part of a pretty large diorama that I plan to have finished by year 2030.

Your style of painting is very unique and I have to say looks rather atmospheric when done. The freehand on your eldar is insane but not overdone.
    It might be old news by now but if you are looking for flock powder to create your own flowers then look at the products model car aftermarket manufacturers such as Detail Master and The Parts Box make. You can get bags of pretty much every colour imaginable. I found most of the products I use in my basing after veering off into military armour and figure painting for some time. The scales are very similar to most fantasy figures. A company like J's Work or Kamizikuri (I think) sells pre printed or plain leaves and plants for the green side of things. Some of the pre painted photo etched plants Eduard sell look nice but I have only ever used the plain brass plants that you need to paint yourself. It's a little off topic but their coloured frog frets are gorgeous and look great on a base.
    Lastly, if you don't mind paying a bit of a premium MiniNatur sells some sweet flowers etc. however, I have a few of these and you do get what you pay for.

I did a diorama once...
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

​Flunk, can you talk a little bit about how you're approaching those metals?

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    ​Flunk, can you talk a little bit about how you're approaching those metals?
    This please! I'm having a bit of trouble with nmm gold at the moment.

Looks ridiculous by the way. Not sure I can wait til 2030 to see it finished though

Flunkutron! Man I love your color choices. I remember seeing your gorilla bust at Crystal Brush and it was one of my favs. I'm trying to paint some eldar wraithguards and have been staring at your amazing one a few pages back as reference not knowing it was yours.

Could you give a quick description of how you start out the process for the freehand designs? Do you shade and highlight the whole volume first and then go in and start freehanding designs and later shade/highlight all the little freehand elements? I'm just looking for a way to get started on it

Also love the aged wraithbone parts that same piece. Any chance you remember the color you used for the dark brown shadowed areas?

I need to spend more time on here I think...I've missed too much good stuff!

Thanks and keep on killing it!
    My current WIP thread. Always looking for critique. Also vote on my Gallery if you're bored

2030 you say? sounds like a very ambitious plan nice start!

Here are a few pictures of the colours I use for the metal trim and what my palette looks like before I start. I use little nuisances of reds and green for painting the armour so my palette looks a bit cluttered but it seems to be what works for me. I use various techniques like stippling, glazes, and washes to achieve the looks I like. Then I toss in some battle damage here and there, mostly where the blends aren't so nice (muahah).

@Scherdy sorry for the late reply, and thanks for your words. I used vallejo colours Hull Red, Sepia Ink, bleached bone, and white for the wraith bone. In terms of the free hand I used pure white over a flat, dark green face place, to bring out the volumes (wanted to make the freehand feel like raised rivets).I worked my way down in from the white lines, with various green, greys, blues, and subtle red, as oppose to a normal blend (say for flat piece of armour) where I would work my way up to brighter colours. Hope that helps.

Here is an update, still not sure I am happy with the axe will still do some tweaking with the volumes and smoothing things out.

More to come.
    Last edited by flunkUtron; 10-16-2017 at 10:21 PM.

Wow that is subtle work.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Blog Entries

Too much for my tiny head to comprehend,,
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Wonderous wizardry!!!

Update. Trying to push to be done for CB.
    Last edited by flunkUtron; 02-02-2018 at 12:06 AM.

Hey Flunky ... haven't seen ya for years mate ..
    Damn loving the colours in the armour and how you make them work together , nice underlying detail to get the deep texture ,awesomeow...
    Proud owner of a Teronus TMM original.
    Carpe Diem Carpe Nocturne

You have plenty ‘o time bud. This is really true bing out incredible.

Default Will this be part of

That diorama you’ll be finishing by 2030 lol