A few nooby questions (black plague)

Thread: A few nooby questions (black plague)

Default A few nooby questions (black plague)

Sat down for my first game last night but a few questions arose that I couldn't find the answer to, I might have overlooked them so apologies if I have
    1. Does a failed attempt to open a door still create noise? Logically I would think so but I was a bit unclear when I read it in the book
    2. The book says when you open a door you spawn zombies in every room in that building, does this include areas closed off by doors? For example the tutorial mission has a blue door that goes into one room of a building hen another door inside which shuts a fatty in the 2nd room of the same building, should I spawn zombies in the fatties room when I open the blue door?
    3. More of a clarification, if a zombie cant get to the survivors or noisiest zone do they wait where they are? Again from the tutorial mission the fatty and runner can't get to the survivors because of closed doors so do they get as close as they can and then wait until the door is opened?

Wanted to make sure I'm doing it right

I didn't read the rules yet (my box arrived today and is sitting in the shed while I try to figure out how to explain to the wife that I got yet another Zombicide game), but I'll try to answer.

1. probably yes. Makes sense at least (in previous editions, you could not fail)
    2. Completely closed off areas should not spawn until you open them.
    3. The zombies will move as if all doors were open, then wait by (or more likely, press themselves eagerly towards) the closed door.

Also, you do right by wanting to get things right, mistakes can really throw the balance of the game and make things too easy or too hard.

Yea it was only the tutorial mission and I found it quite slow going, partly because I had to keep reading up on stuff lol, but also in the tutorial abomination spawn cards count as fatties but I pulled one on turn 3 or 4 which would have made the game very interesting lol

As for the doors in black plague you can use melee weapons to break them open but it has a number you have to roll, I think it's the same as an attack as you roll the same amount of dice as if you were attacking zombies but can't remember off the top of my head if it was the same number as to hit

2. Cool that's what I did but the book just says to spawn all zombies in the building though I may have misread it, it was late by time is worked out how to set up and got playing

3. Cool I had it right then, wasn't sure if there was some way they could break the door down

It seems fun so far but I hope to try the first mission tonight, I generally dislike playing easy mode, thanks for the help

As for 2., they might have changed that, but I don't think so. It is an usual strategy that you want to open as many buildings as you can early on, to spawn the zombies at a lower danger level. Thus, spawning the whole building or just the open parts can make a HUGE difference.

Just got my box open now, first impression is that I approve of the increased production value of the box, but at a glance the minis disappointed a bit - I had hoped that they'd be as good as in Blood Rage, and they didn't seem to be.

Right just had a quick reread of it, it does say that you spawn for every room in the building but it defines a building as all indoor areas connected by an openening so presumably the closed door doesn't count as an opening until you open it, it makes a bit more sense game wise that way, it seems silly being able to spawn zombies that have no way of getting to you so you know in advance how dangerous the next room is before being in any danger

I was a tad unimpressed with the minis at first too but I think a lick of paint improved them greatly from the ones I've done so far, though some can be a bit awkward in places (getting at Nelly's face and chest with a brush was a right pain in the behind)

Every time we play Quest 1 we get our butts handed to us because all the zombies end up on the board, the spawn card deck ends up being reshuffled, we end up with 7 or 8 spawning points (including the Necromancer's spawn points), we end up with 20+ zombies in one or several zones which over run us and completely wipe us out. The dual spawn cards are the death of us. Running out of zombies, so they get extra activations really crimp our groove, too. And it's supposed to be an easy scenario...Are we spawning too many necromancers. We kill them and they keep coming back.

Hard to say if you are doing anything wrong - the necromancers are supposed to be coming back. Are you removing a spawn point after killing the necromancer? I suggest a re-read of the rules, and if everything seems right, reconsider your strategy. Off the top of my head, I suggest first searching for equipment, then move slowly but certainly as a team. Do efforts to contain the horde, to avoid the extra activations later. Open buildings at your earliest convenience, since opening them at later threat levels will mean more zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by oistene View Post
    Hard to say if you are doing anything wrong - the necromancers are supposed to be coming back. Are you removing a spawn point after killing the necromancer? I suggest a re-read of the rules, and if everything seems right, reconsider your strategy.....
    I was reading another thread and realized that we weren't removing spawn points as we were killing necromancers. Oops. We're going to do a replay ASAP.

Yeah with that mission I held off on grabbing objectives because one of them instantly spawns a necro and abomination, I wanted to wait until I had dragon bile and a torch, if you remember to remove spawn points as you kill necromancers then things should go easier for you, I'd had a necromancer and abomination kill before I'd found the objectives so all I had left was to nip round the map and collect them up to win the mission

Here's another question, Ann's bloodlust skill, can it be used as many times per turn as you like? And can you use it to pass through a zone with a zombie as long as its still in line of sight? Eg if there's an abomination in the zone next to ann and a walker in the zone behind that can you use bloodlust to rush past the abomination to kill the walker?

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    Yeah with that mission I held off on grabbing objectives because one of them instantly spawns a necro and abomination, I wanted to wait until I had dragon bile and a torch, if you remember to remove spawn points as you kill necromancers then things should go easier for you, I'd had a necromancer and abomination kill before I'd found the objectives so all I had left was to nip round the map and collect them up to win the mission

Here's another question, Ann's bloodlust skill, can it be used as many times per turn as you like? And can you use it to pass through a zone with a zombie as long as its still in line of sight? Eg if there's an abomination in the zone next to ann and a walker in the zone behind that can you use bloodlust to rush past the abomination to kill the walker?
    As far as I can tell, you can use it as many times per turn as you'd like, but moving into a zone with a zombie ends your movement, so you can't use it to bypass a zombie

This is correct. I'm unsure if it lets you move out of a zone with zombies in it, I guess it costs an extra action point if it does.

We managed to do our first run last night, it feels fresh and back to basics at the same time. Surprised to see how many times I actually had to reach for that rulesbook, many small interactions have changed, and that spells were no different from other equipment confused some of my fellow players (particularly the D&D veteran).

I'm unsure if it lets you move out of a zone with zombies in it, I guess it costs an extra action point if it does.
    That's how we play it

That seems fair enough, its a pretty awesome skill for zipping around the board but is high risk high reward, there's been a few times the dice have failed and she's been left stranded among zombies but it can be useful for catching the necromancers

I like the body slot gears too and how the characters have their own equipment to put there, which has reminded me of another question, daggers! It says they give an extra attack to the weapon in the other hand, so if Nelly had dual daggers + one in her body slot would that make 6 attacks? 2 for dual daggers +2 for the daggers in hands special effect of adding +1 to the opposite hand and then +2 for the body slot adding one to each hand? I guess a simpler way of asking is if a dagger in the body slot still provides its bonus if it isn't being used in the attack

Trying to get to grips with the rules before I try to get my family involved so I can better explain

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    That seems fair enough, its a pretty awesome skill for zipping around the board but is high risk high reward, there's been a few times the dice have failed and she's been left stranded among zombies but it can be useful for catching the necromancers

I like the body slot gears too and how the characters have their own equipment to put there, which has reminded me of another question, daggers! It says they give an extra attack to the weapon in the other hand, so if Nelly had dual daggers + one in her body slot would that make 6 attacks? 2 for dual daggers +2 for the daggers in hands special effect of adding +1 to the opposite hand and then +2 for the body slot adding one to each hand? I guess a simpler way of asking is if a dagger in the body slot still provides its bonus if it isn't being used in the attack

Trying to get to grips with the rules before I try to get my family involved so I can better explain
    I don't have time to find where I saw it (probably in the FAQ on BGG), but it was said that you can only use two weapons at a time, even if you have 3 equipped...the extra slot just gives you more flexibility

Yeah that makes sense, just checking as I hadn't seen it anywhere yet

Quote Originally Posted by wittzo View Post
    I was reading another thread and realized that we weren't removing spawn points as we were killing necromancers. Oops. We're going to do a replay ASAP.
    I did it wrong for awhile too, also keep in mind that the box only has one necromancer. So in addition to removing the spawn point once it's killed, if it is still active and you pull another necro card you basically double move the figure. Once for running out of the figure and once because pulling the card grants every necro on the board 1 more activation.

Quote Originally Posted by killaminis View Post
    I did it wrong for awhile too, also keep in mind that the box only has one necromancer. So in addition to removing the spawn point once it's killed, if it is still active and you pull another necro card you basically double move the figure. Once for running out of the figure and once because pulling the card grants every necro on the board 1 more activation.
    Also in that instance I don't think you have to put another spawn point down, only when a new necro model is put on the board, and also when you remove a spawn point it can be any spawn point of your choice, it doesn't have to be the one the necromancer puts down

Also, you do right by wanting to get things right, mistakes can really throw the balance of the game and make things too easy or too hard.
    I had a couple of friends saying this game was super easy until I pointed out they weren't playing correctly.

Im finding it just the right difficulty, I found the first mission easy but it was only in part the strategy and mostly luck with equipment and spawn cards, I've only had a failed attempt at the 2nd mission which was due the abomination got an extra activation and went straight over the zone I'd put dragonbile in but I'd spent too much time clearing and searching buildings so the streets were pretty full of zombies by then which left the survivors separated, think I need to get more balance between looking for items and clearing zombies