Dr. Bob's WIP Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Bob's WIP Thread

Default Dr. Bob's WIP

I haven't been active on CMON for quite a while, but my boys have grown up and developed an interest in Warhammer 40K, giving me a new opportunity to get back into miniatures!

I'm starting out with Commander Dante (please don't groan). I mounted him on top of a crashed Tau gun drone and replaced his jet pack with Astorath the Grim's. His wrist and axe broke as he was being assembled (Citadel Finecast fail), giving me an opportunity to adjust the axe's angle slightly.

Here he is primed (so grainy!) and ready to paint ...

Name:  IMG_8792.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  76.0 KB

And here he is after basecoating ... (Where did that seam come from?)

Name:  IMG_8795.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  92.8 KB
    Last edited by Dr. Bob; 01-26-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Nice start and welcome back I likes the beakies so no groaning from me! Lot of greenskin loving xenos sympathizers on this site though. I'm sure they'll be along to grunt and groan in the blasphemy they call a language shortly...
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Thanks for the welcome, Zab! My boys like space marines, tau and 'nids, so luckily lots of options for me!

Cleaned up axe and added shading ...

Name:  IMG_8800.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  76.5 KB

Added highlights to armor ...

Name:  IMG_8843.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  85.3 KB
    Last edited by Dr. Bob; 01-10-2016 at 10:50 PM.

Looking good! that is some nice contrasty TMM gold

Belated thanks Zab! Snowstorm gave me time to finish him up ...

Name:  IMG_8875.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  89.4 KB

The lightning on the power axe came out better than I expected, but the wings gave me a lot of trouble. Eventually decided to call it ...

Images to upload ...

Name:  dante.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  684.4 KB

Looks nice (despite being a space marine...). I don't know any of the official stuff on this character, but I would suggest a bit more variation between the gold armour and the gold skin. Even if the skin is supposed to be gold, maybe differentiate between the two golds with a wash or something.

Otherwise he he looks pretty cool. Nice wings!

The power effect looks good. I always struggle and get the lines too wide.

Thanks for the feedback bgdazzler and KruleBear! I believe that Dante is wearing a gold mask and engraved armor (with a fake six-pack and little toesies apparently), although I think I have seen someone paint the face in fleshtones before. Glad the lightning "worked", though I guess you can't see the blue tones well in my photos.

Its nice! You just needed to take the wings a bit lighter, one feather at a time o_O I've painted enough Dark angels to know how time consuming that is but it looks great. Use Ulthan grey or celstia grey could cut down on the layers needed

Oh dear. Can't I just pretend he has dark gray feathers?
    Last edited by Dr. Bob; 01-25-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Yes, and to save your sanity you should. Because at some point you may paint a whole army of these fopish dandy vampires and just think about how many feathers that would be? In the future what you should do is paint them as light as you can, wash them liberally with some kind of ink or wash and then wipe it off the raised detail with your finger before it dries and boom! you have instant shading that looks good on the table top I'm full of dirty tricks like that for army painting

That is brilliant! If I ever tackle wings again, I will be sure to "zab" them in that manner.

Looking good! If memory serves Dante's 'face' is the death mask of Sanguinus so gold makes sense but I recall someone making it look ceramic which was awesome. If you are looking for white angellic wings then base coat with celestra grey, make a wash with lahmian medium and fenrisian grey and wash them, layer up with ulthuan grey and edge highlight with white scar. For a more blueish classic GW look switch fenrisian grey and ulthuan grey with wolf grey and ghost grey from Vallejo game colour range.
    Currently painting... Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth game... Talisman characters.

"You don't know what I did with the dice though, do you? For all you know, I could have jammed them up his nostrils, head butted him on the nose and they could have blasted out of his ears. That would've been quite interesting."

http://cloudofpaint.co.uk

Thanks for the tips Quantra! I will have to try that out next time ... Where were you guys earlier, before I got sick of his wings?

Dante is up at: http://www.coolminiornot.com/392473.
    Last edited by Dr. Bob; 01-27-2016 at 02:05 PM.

I signed up for The Flesh Faire. Excited to participate!

I think this old Seeker of Slaanesh is probably the least dressed mini I've got:

Name:  IMG_8838.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  52.4 KB

I used part of a paper clip to create a tongue for her steed:

Name:  IMG_8946.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  57.3 KB

Now I just need how to figure out how to prime the mini in the middle of the winter ...

vallejo or badger primer can be brushed on if you don't have an airbrush I was gonna hop in with a daemonette too.

Uh oh. Starting to feel the urge to purchase one (airbrush/compressor) ...

Oops! Got distracted and put together this mystery mini I found in my bitz box ...

Name:  IMG_8960.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  108.3 KBName:  IMG_8963.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  90.1 KB

Turns out to be an Abyssal Maw from WOTC/Chainmail. So cute!!! (Thanks for the quick ID cucaiothegreat!)