February - The Flesh Faire
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: February - The Flesh Faire

Default February - The Flesh Faire

Hey Guys,...

It's getting on that time again,.. Time for yet another friendly competition. This time out, I want your best flesh tones!!! That's right, the more flesh the better!!!

(This is going to be up to, and including, nudes. We are all adults here, so I don't think it will be an issue. However,.. if you are the type that is easily offended by this sort of thing, then I recommend you skip this competition and, in fact, this whole thread. If any of you do choose to do nudes, please try to keep them "tasteful". ALSO,.... please, please, PLEASE,... just appreciate any work presented for the skill with which it took someone to sculpt it,.. and the artistry with which it took someone else to paint it. I only say this,.. because along with these types of models, usually comes a conversation about the objectifying and sexualization of women in the miniatures industry. And while there is certainly a conversation to be had on this issue,.. this thread is NOT that place. PLEASE JUST APPRECIATE IT FOR THE ART THAT IT IS!!)

Now that I've stated all of that,.. this competition will work on the same rules as all the others. Contest will run from Feb. 1st to Mar. 15th (I gave a bit of extra time, to help people have finishing time, plus Feb. is a short month, so it might help cover those few missing days). All the other rules are the same. If you're new here, and have any questions, just ask. I, or one of the other regulars, will be happy to fill you in.

As always,. I'll start with my own name. (just copy the list, add your name to the bottom, and repost)

Webmonkey
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

Sounds like a fun topic. There are a lot of great figures out there that would work. I imagine we'll see plenty of barbarian ones. If people are looking for options, check out Red Box Games. Or, if you want something a little different, Joaquin Palacios created a 75mm figure of da Vinci's Vitruvian Man.
    https://www.facebook.com/freemanscul...message_bubble

Unfortunately the timing of this won't work for me. I expect I'll be working on my Crystal Brush pieces up until the end of March. Still, I'll be interested to keep an eye on this one.

Are we stuck with human(ish) models? Or would more monstrous/scaly skin be ok?
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

As always,.. I'm super flexible with the rules. If human flesh tones don't work for you, then by all means, paint a green skinned orc,.. or a black/grey skinned dark-elf,.. hell, even dragon scales could be argued to be the color of it's flesh. Be creative,.. let your mind run wild!!!

must resist, must resist, must resist
    Forgot, that it works again.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    must resist, must resist, must resist
    Resistant is futile......

Sign me up hun

Webmonkey
    Crystella333

I am in too.

Webmonkey
    Crystella333
    Marjedi

Will try. I have a couple of Effin Cool Minis models that show a lot of flesh that would suit this challenge.

Webmonkey
    Crystella333
    Marjedi
    Gohkm
    Models completed in 2016 so far: 16
    Models in WIP: 22

tp://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/gohkm

Quote Originally Posted by crystella333 View Post
    Resistant is futile......

Sign me up hun

Webmonkey
    Crystella333

What are you painting??

Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post
    What are you painting??
    If I can get it, the fallen angel (it's out of stock on freebooter but found another site with one)
    But have got a FW flesh wolf if not as backup.

If I can get it, the fallen angel (it's out of stock on freebooter but found another site with one)
    But have got a FW flesh wolf if not as backup.
    i have a kickstarter i am hoping will get delivered on time. But the chances are slim.

Other then that i am waffling between 2 kits atm, either the Skink Starseer, or the Carnosaur.

The older Carnosuar or the newer kit?

A oddly tempted... If I ever get him finished I could paint my dwarf's baldy head.

The older Carnosuar or the newer kit?
    The new one.

Oh you're going to have some fun with that kit

Excellent this will give me the kick up the arse I need to start my KD scifi Knight. Im in

Sounds interesting. I think I have a few minis to choose from but... For the benefit of those of us that haven't participated before, I don't suppose you have a link to these rules you mention?

Quote Originally Posted by Auberon View Post
    Sounds interesting. I think I have a few minis to choose from but... For the benefit of those of us that haven't participated before, I don't suppose you have a link to these rules you mention?
    Rules are pretty simple. Have a model that fits the theme. You can prep and prime/undercoat the model but no painting until the 1st of Feb. Webmonkey will have a thread where we can post starting and wip pictures. Those are all the rules I can think of. It's a cool fun contest just to test ourselves with trying to doing something we may not normally try.

I would love to follow this painting contest! Maybe I'll even try my hand if a kickstarter I've pledged in to shows up in time!

Quote Originally Posted by Auberon View Post
    As Crys said,.. we are pretty lax with the rules. After all, this is only for bragging rights,.. there's no real prize or other incentive to participate. It's mostly so that you can show your work, get feedback on your process and/or questions, and also so that you get to meet and mingle with the people of the site that you normally may never otherwise talk to. So, just pick model that fits the theme,.. you can sand, gap-fill, glue, prime, and otherwise prep the model to your hearts desire. But no paint until the 1st. That being said,.. it's usually considered "good form" to post a picture of your starting point on (or near) the 1st, just so people can see your progress. Regular updates are encouraged, and don't be afraid to ask questions on techniques or for any advice that you may need. The people here are more then willing to help. This is the thread that most WIP pics are posted to, but feel free to also post to your own thread. Near the end of the contest, I will break people up into groups. (assuming enough people enter to warrant more then one group). You will then get one vote per group (you can vote for anyone but yourself,.. because voting for yourself is just plain tacky). The winner of each group will then be pooled into a final group, and you can then cast a final vote for the overall winner.

Hope that helps.