Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Josh's WIP log - Will I actually post?

Default Josh's WIP log - Will I actually post?

Hey, Ive been sort of out of painting for a while, getting back in and thought I'd post things here to keep motivated. Since I'm waiting on a few projects to come in the mail, I'll start the thread with a bust I did about a year ago, but just got on a plinth today! It's a bust from Reaper called The Grudge, I think the only bust Reaper ever made. I don't know the scale but he's pretty huge, almost 4 inches tall.
    Name:  IMG_0096.JPG
Views: 297
Size:  148.4 KB

Edit: Great start, I don't know how to unattach the extra copies of that pic that got attached!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Josh The Stampede; 01-31-2016 at 04:33 PM.

Welcome
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Turns out things from Spain take longer to arrive than I expected! Finally got a start on some things. Primed and cleaned Lucy, Vampire Bride and Ragnok, Norse Ork Hero, both from FER Miniatures.

Name:  cwB26j2.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  34.0 KB

Sat that way for a week or so while life got busy but tonight I finally got to put some paint on Lucy. Just started with some rough sketching on the skin, basecoated the hair to get an idea how the colors work, and started cleaning and refining the right half of the face.

Name:  Y3fYnkM.jpg
Size:  39.6 KB
    Name:  xJHy4fg.jpg
Size:  48.4 KB

You can see the difference between the rough sketch side and the more refined side (which still isn't done). Happy with it so far, but obviously still way early. I don't like the hair color (too orange and not enough red) but it'll serve as a comparison for now I think.

Name:  WVt6Tcs.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  36.8 KB

Forums code question - during each of my last posts, I went though several rounds of attaching pictures, previewing, and realizing they were too large before resizing and re-previewing, only actually posting when it was correct. But each one has every version of those pictures attached. Can anyone but me see those, and is there a way to remove them?

Told myself I wouldn't paint her eyes until both sides of the face were done, but that was clearly a lie.

Name:  kVQ81Ht.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  15.5 KB
    Name:  qDrtbab.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  24.6 KB

Posting pictures can be...inereting on this site. I run into the problem more often when using the Ipad where it attaches the photos at the end of the post.

Love the vampire, but looks a little masculine from the side. Ironically i think the strong contrasting shadow on the cheek near the ear is wht is giving me that suggestion.

Interesting, I got old lady from that shadow more than masculine, and only from some angles. From the front I tyhink it looks fine but from the side it's a bit much. But I agree it's a little strong right now, since I'm not going for either of those looks.

Bit more work, started on the left half of the face, added some "final" highlights to the right.

Name:  lNjIP4S.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  11.5 KBName:  aITzrl2.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  10.8 KB

Some more work on the face and starting the neck and shoulders. Recoated the hair, like this color better. Also better pictures.

Name:  TmPa4p3.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  184.3 KB
    Name:  6btXBxK.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  163.7 KBName:  BQah2QG.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  146.8 KB

Name:  MfW4RKp.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  129.9 KB

Looking good. May want to darken the eyebrows a bit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Looking good. May want to darken the eyebrows a bit as well.
    Definitely - I only realized after I posted the picture that I had forgotten to get them with the new basecoat.

More work done. Mostly done with skin for now - probably some final refinement later. You can barely see in the photos but added some delicate veins on her chest. Also started the light/shadow sketch on the hair, helped a lot.

Name:  CP8nvDs.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  123.1 KB
    Name:  EM5n9Bl.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  161.8 KB

Not sure if anyone is actually reading this, but here's some more progress! Hair mostly done, dress basecoated. I say "mostly done" because like the skin, it seems done to me now, but I am sure at the end I may go back and add more highlights or adjust something. I also continue my adventures in "trying to take pictures that are at all representative of what the model actually looks like"

Name:  EgxUPWX.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  384.1 KB
    Name:  ZlkCXZk.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  656.5 KB
    Name:  VdBOexI.jpg
Size:  595.9 KB
    Name:  aiUSo4p.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  567.1 KB
    Name:  mRjH4T0.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  746.3 KB

Playing around with a new camera app, couple of better shots:

Name:  itQuS1x.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  114.4 KB
    Name:  wfdTxJw.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  124.5 KB
    Name:  Sr0B7nC.jpg
Size:  124.0 KB
    Last edited by Josh The Stampede; 02-21-2016 at 08:43 PM.

Looking good mate. I'd up the contrast on the hair, get some really bright highlights in there. Treat female hair almost like NMM you can really afford to push your values
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 125
Size:  89.6 KB

Looking good to me, but I'm wondering about the pupils of her eyes. When looking sideways, the irises (colored part of her eyes) move into the corners, but the pupils (black spots) should still be centered... It looks to me as though you moved her pupils into the corners? Maybe it's a vampire thing.
    Dr. Bob's WIP // minis in need of vote love: Abyssal Maw, Seeker, Dante, Tiriel, Stone Golem

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bob View Post
    Looking good to me, but I'm wondering about the pupils of her eyes. When looking sideways, the irises (colored part of her eyes) move into the corners, but the pupils (black spots) should still be centered... It looks to me as though you moved her pupils into the corners? Maybe it's a vampire thing.
    Nah, you're right. Something has been bugging me about the eyes and I couldn't put my finger on it. They ARE centered in the iris, but they are too large such that they are partially obscured, which my experimentation in the mirror tells me doesn't happen in real life. I'll try to fix them.