The doopest dopeness (or not) by Gino2dope
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The doopest dopeness (or not) by Gino2dope

Default The doopest dopeness (or not) by Gino2dope

finally been able to open my own WIP thread.

first one isn't really WIP anymore as it's allready finnished, sorry

I've finnished it in september 2015. The figure is by Rackham, the rats come from freebooter and accessoires from various sources (I remember that I used 2 Scibor floor tiles and parts from various inhalers I need to use) To paint it i used mainly acrylics, inks and some pigments. The groundwork was build up using a mix of Magic Sculp and Mig pigments. As I am fairly new to all things fantasy (this is my second fantasy figgie I ever finnished) I would like to hear all your comments, critique, tips and tricks. i also know that I'm very, very bad at taking pics, so all help in the department is more then welcome. Of yeah, the title is simply : Rats!

Finally, here are the pics :

Name:  ratklaar4.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  120.1 KB

And the figure itself from some different angles :

The wooden barrel on his back is about the only thing I'm really happy with. It's also the only part where the NMM parts aren't awfull. This is a very big issue I need to work on; a lot!

And here are some pics from the enemy ; the mighty Rats!

The metallic raster in the wall is one of the parts that come from my inhalers :

So, that's it for my first entry. I hope you enjoyed watching my work, or at least had a good laugh with my attempt at painting fantsy figgies.

Cheers,

Gino

Nice piece. I really like the clean stripes on the mask.

Hi Krulebear,

Thank you very much for your nice comments, I appreciate it a lot! On the next figures out of this set of 3 I think I'll try to paint them as if they are wearing masks of Mexican wrestlers. I know they have a specific name, just can't remember it at the moment.

Cheers,

Gino(2dope)

This looks great - nice clean painting on the mini. The base could do with a bit more contrasting colour to break up all the brown, but otherwise looks like a nice little scene.

I think the wrestlers are called luchadores.

Hello Dazzler,

Thanks a lot for commenting on my work.

In fact, I used a lot of different filters on the groundwork, magenta, purple, turqoise, various greens, grey browns and blue, but I think they don't show up in the picture due to mu lousy phototaking. The tiles for the floor were painted in 3 different colours (beige, green and red) before some dusting with pigments were done. Maybe I was a bit heavy with the pigments and buried the colours under them. I'll try to be a bit more carefull next time. Many thanks for pointing this out to me.
    That are those wrestlers indeed. I know it's all a show they put up, but still I love watching them.
    Take care,

Gino(2dope)

I recognize that mini. i did a bunch of those last year too. Lovely work. I love the mask!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

I've been hoping to see some of your work and im
    not disappointed with the wait. Great stuff, excellent idea well executed.

This is "miniature painting" ....job well done Gino.

Hello Zab,

Those Racham's were my first love in the fantasy genre. I still have a whole bunch of them, so I think this will not be the last one you see painted by me!

Thanks a lot for your comment.

Cheers,

Gino(2dope)

Hi Gandalf,

I wish I could finnished work more often, but unfortunately that isn't possible with my health situation. but once in a while something will show up here.

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment here. I know you won't have a lot of time with that supberb dragon you are painting.

Cheers,

Gino

Hello BAM,

Thanks a million for your superb comment! I had a lot of fun with this project, and isn't that what counts (IMHO).

Take care,

Gino(2dope)

Hi all,

Lately I had the opportunity to do some more modelling, so here are some pics.

This one will be titled :Kriegscommander (I know; nothing original), the figure is from Forge World. My first from this company and I'm really impressed : lot's of fine detail, excellent cast and almost no clean up! That's how i want all my models to be!!!

First pics are quite at the beginning, as you can see on the white primer still visible :

On the next pictures he's almost finnished. I'm sorry I don't have more in progress pics but I need to set up my "photo studio" in the living room each time I want to take pictures.

And here are some pics of the base he'll be mounted on :

As always, all is painted using acrylics, inks and pigments. All I need to do is paint some OSL on the bottom of the figure. It's supossed to be a glowing toxic pool he standing before. Never done OSL before, so that's going to be a laugh. Then mount and intergrate him on the base, touch a couple of spots and then he's finnished;

Please let me know what you think of it, also on the pictures; are they better with this set up or not?

Cheers,

Gino(2dope)

P.S. I was going to take pictures of other projects I'm working on, but my camera batterie decided to quit. I hope to have these taken and uploaded later this week?

hello Gandalf,

Thank you very much for the nice reply. To be honest, the coat is one of the things I like least. I prefer the piece of cloth around his waist. It was the first time I painted something in this colour and it worked from the first time . Lucky strike I guess.

How is that big GW monster with a guy on top comming along. Don't know names of GW stuff sorry. It was the piece you were working on I first saw your work and responded on. I haven't seen any progress on it, you were doing a tremendous job on that one, or did I miss something. Really want to see you finnish that one.

take care,

Gino(2dope)

Gino, very nice of you to ask about Glottkin. It's taken a break due to commission work but I want to start on this again for Salute 2017. So I'm slowly scaling back the commissions to enough to earn me play money yet give me time for my own stuff. I hope to start it again in a few weeks. I will update here when I do.

Hi Gandalf,

How could I forget your Glottkin, it's the best painted I have seen so far. That's what I found the problem with comission painting : no more time for fun projects. I rarely do comissions these days and I have two rules : 1° It has to be a model I consider fun and 2° no deathline, no matter what. Luckly not a lot of people can find themselve with those two "rules" so I don't have to paint for others a lot anymore. Although at the moment I'm doing a 54mm figure of Capitain D'anjou for someone... I'll try to have some WIP pictures up soon.

Take care my friend,

Gino(2dope)

These truly are the DDDOOOOPEST OF ALL DOPENESSES!!!

Hi Bam

As a true Juggalo I can say one can never be dope enough. Comming from you this is a huge compliment as I'm a big fan of your work.

Take care,

Gino(2dope)

Question More WIP's

Hi all,

I would like to show you some more projects I'm currently work on.

First up is a 54mm white metal figure depicting Captain D'anjou during the Mexico campaign. This figure was given for free by a 1 year subscription of Figure International Magazine. Unfortunately I must say the casting was very bad : lot's of pitting and rather soft on the detail. I had it cleaned up, painted completely with dilluted Tamiya thinner. Cleaned it again, rescribed some detail and then I passed it on to two friends who checked it and cleaned it even a bit further. Now during the painting I see there are still some problem area's. It's not a figure for my own, so I showed it to the future owner who said that he was happy with how the figure was cleaned up, although I'll try to improve it as I go along.

So far the skin part of the face and the eyes are finnished. The black of his kepi needs a final shading and highlighting, while the red part has only received the rough highlights.

Next up are two fantasy projects I'm currently working on, only clean up, building fase though.

First is Bocanegra a superb offering by Big Child Creatives : perfect sculpt with some great details and an excellent casting. What a difference with D'anjou. This one didn't need much clean up and the fit of parts was just perfect. The anchorage I "found" at the boat departement of a local modelshop. It was the last they had and they will stop the boat modelling stuff.

The other one in the building fase I've called Brass Monkeys (after a Beastie Boys song; r.i.p. MCA). I will paint a lot of the metal parts brass, hence the title. The figures are by Infamy, some of the best Steampunk figures I have ever seen, the Lantern is by Ritsel (I believe) while the decoration in the wall came from shop where my wife likes to buy things to make her own jewelery. It was original intendent to hang from an necklage, but a little work with the old trusted Dremel transfered it to an accessoire for my figgies I liked. These kind of shops are really a great source for decoration materials. The "wall" is just a very, very rough mock up. The defenitive version will be made out of balsa foam. I'm waiting for better weather as working with balsa foam produces a lot of dust and I prefer to do this outdoors.

I'm curios to hear what you guys & girls think of my projects and I welcome all tips & tricks to improve (also on taking pictures).

Cheers,

Gino(2dope)

Lots of cool projects cropping up in this thread. The Rackham mouse smasher is a lot of fun and I, too, like the mask a lot. The Krieg dude looks great - very grimdark n'at (= 'and that' in Pittsburgh) and the base is fantastic. And it looks like your strategy of raiding non-mini sources is yielding some really cool basing stuff. Keep up the good work!