The doopest dopeness (or not) by Gino2dope - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The doopest dopeness (or not) by Gino2dope

The face and hands are beatiful. Lovin’ the blue and red tints.

The face on the Monge looks amazing. I Kickstarted them and have a bunch on the not-yet-good-enough pile. I hate that pile.

Ooo great start on this, can't wait to see more

Looks lovely, tones on the face and hands are great - great sense of organic depth (blood vessels/underlying anatomy etc)

Thanks for the comments guys.
    As I'm new to this 2 source lightsource painting is something very new to me, and I need to correct many, many mistakes, work is progressing very slowly. I'm more or less happy with how the effect comes through at his face and beard, but at his hat I still "feel" something ain't right.

Oh and I think I might have a title for this little fella : ol' dirty digga! What do you guys think of it?

Anyway, here are the pictures, and all comments and any faults you might see, would be very much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Gino

Name:  odd1d.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  102.3 KBName:  odd1b.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  112.2 KB

@ Ekipage : No, I'm not going for the traditional yellow light. First because I first want to figure out how to correctly paint a 2 light source lit figure and secondly because the figure has a smoketrail sculpted and no flame. I do hope to one day be able to paint a figure with more than 2 lightsources.

@ Saint Toad : for decades I too had piles of figures which I kept to paint when I would consider myself good enough to work on them. As I'm now nearing 50 I realise that I have more figures in those pile than I will ever be able to paint, so I said to myself that it's high time to start working on these figures. A couple of months aga a good friend of me suddenly died and he too has a heap of figures in such a pile. So as we never know what might happen tomorrow I think it's best to start painting those figures, and enjoy them, better than they might never get painted at all. And should I in the future be able to a standard I consider good enough, I can always strip them and paint a second time.

@ Hairster : I wish I could say that it's all thanks to my painting skills, but the figure is just so detailed that all you need to do is cover it with paint and you'll get vessels, etc... to appear.

Cheers,

Gino(2dope)

Great job on this Gino! Some things to maybe consider since you seemed to be doing the bluish-white light from the left side
    1. maybe keep his outside right shoe and pant leg the normal color (same for the inside left shoe)
    2. maybe highlight the tips of his right knuckles unless they aren't sticking out past his beard (I am not sure from the angles)
    Only other issue I see is the left cuff seems kind of off but it could be because it doesn't look like you carried the light as much on that side of the jacket

Those aside, tremendous painting here! Love his face, so well painted. Also, what happened to the smoke plume?

Looks very nice so far. Really like how the hat turned out after sketching/underpainting with white.

for decades I too had piles of figures which I kept to paint when I would consider myself good enough to work on them. As I'm now nearing 50 I realise that I have more figures in those pile than I will ever be able to paint, so I said to myself that it's high time to start working on these figures
    That's the right spirit! There's always room for improvement so you'll never reach the absolute perfection. Just paint what you like.

As I'm new to this 2 source lightsource painting is something very new to me, and I need to correct many, many mistakes, work is progressing very slowly. I'm more or less happy with how the effect comes through at his face and beard, but at his hat I still "feel" something ain't right.
    Hmm not an easy trick to pull off.
    One important "rule" you got right, the hard shadow where both lights meet. Also important is to choose an angle and stick to it. Judged by the nose the light looks like coming straight from the left. From that angle I think it should shine further to the middle of the forehead.
    Maybe it's the chosen angle that looks a bit strange. Easiest would probably be to correct the nose by limiting the light more towards the tip and not lightning the full side of the nose. Although I'm the opposite of an expert concerning this technique^^

But I would recomment to check out Aythami Alonso Torrent. He uses multiple light sources a lot and provides great tutorials on that topic.
    He also uses a lot of sketch work in the beginning too and then starts to define it.

Really excitet to see how yoo'll takle it.

Cool experiment and I like your philosophy on painting minis you like even when you don’t feel skilled enough....I just turned 50 last month, so it hits home.

I need to embrace your philosophy. Also turning 50 in a couple of months.

Ah, why did you have to bring up 50 and having piles of unpainted figures...

Hello Ekipage,

Thanks for your tips, I've taken them all into my work, I hope it shows on the pictures? I haven't painted the knuckles of his right hand blue, because I'm not sure how much of the light would reach it through the beard. Work on the left arm wasn't started by the time those pictures were taken.

Hello CyAniDe,

I think that figure painting, as all other forms of "art" are so subjective that it is impossible to paint the perfect figure. I admire a lot of great (figure) painters and when I look at the work of painter A I wish my work would look more like his, when I look at that of another I want it to look like that, etc... In the end I hope I have taken a bit of each of those artists I love, mixed it and made up my own style. And should I once be able to paint a decent figure with these kind o light sources I know I will want to be able to achieve yet another way of painting and I'll again have to start from the bottom and learn everything again. But that's what keeps it interesting and "fresh", if you know what I mean.
    I've changed the light on the forehead and nose and this indeed looks much better. With this kind of light it's very important to often take pictures and see if that what's painted works on the pics or not. I now see again things I would like to adjust after taking the last set of pictures.
    Aythami is the reason why I started to try to paint like this. I'm a member of his notoriginalminis channel for about 18 months now, and to me he's like kind of a god when it comes to figure modelling, not only this kind of lighting. It's 10 euro's a month, but I have learnt so much from it, even the way I look at object in daily life which then influences my painting.

Hello Krulebear and Dr. Bob,

I've just turned 48 years old, but when people ask me how old I am I always say : four dozen years. Does sound a lot better, don't you think? Well, because I always waited till I got better to paint the figures I liked the most, I've now come to the conclusion that there will be a bunch of the excellent figures that I'll never be able to paint in this life time. At the time I bought the I had an idea on how I want them to look once finnished. Now I try, and have fun trying, to reach that view to the best of my abillities, which is always better in my opinion, than leaf them all in there boxes till I die and they'll be past on to someone else to have fun with it. Worst case scenario, those after me can strip the paint of and paint them the way they like. The real problem is that these days there are superb new figures released like every week and Ill keep on buying them, faster then I can paint, so this pile keeps growing and growing. Maybe that's the collector in me versus the painter. An everlasting battle I fear.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the painting I did on him the last couple of weeks.

Thanks you all again for the fantastic feedback and tips you have allready given me, internet being the only way I can get opinions about my painting, and please, do keep them comming!

Thank you for watching,

Gino(2dope)

Name:  odd3d.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  97.4 KB Name:  odd3f.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  80.2 KB

Such beautiful painting! Would make a great 2-D image, so hard for me to wrap my head around it being a 3-D object!

Nice work, especially like the aged skin on his hands.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Excellence!!!

Lol...4 dozen years old...That means I can say I am two and a half score old and approaching 4 baker’s dozens years old. I love it.

This gnome looks pretty cool btw.

Looks great so far!

I'm subscribed to him too
    Really great inspiration. Although I wasn't brave enough yet to try it myself xD

Great painting and great conversation going on in this thread. Your attitude is a healthy one.