how do i make the skin of the miniature look old

Thread: how do i make the skin of the miniature look old

Default how do i make the skin of the miniature look old

I am in the midst of painting a Blood Hag from Warmachine.
    The skin tones i plan to use is the winter one in this
    http://chestofcolors.com/wp-content/...utorial-01.jpg

Which i interpret (since i use vallejo game colors) to be
    Sombre Grey, 2 part Warlord Purple 1 part deadwhite, Stonewall Grey and dead white.

My question is, is there a way to tweek the colors so the skin looks old?
    I have heard that perhaps mixing a bit of gray in all the colors and giving the entire face a red wash might do the trick but i´m not sure.
    So any advice would be appreciated.

Hi,

Search up some images of older people. Find 2 or 3 with photos elements you like for your model. Look at what colours you see in the photo and try and add similar. You can even drag the photo into a colour match app (Reaper have on that gives you their colours but would be a kick off point at least). Add in some mottling and use a less consistent overall tone than you would for younger skin.

Try adding some wrinkles (painted on) and some age spots.

Wrinkles - See the crack over the left eyebrow of the skull. I used the same technique as for battle damage on armor. But made sure the line wandered around a little and had small curves. To get it fine paint the dark colour first to get the general shape you are after and then use the skin tone(s) around it to thin it back and make it fine and sharp. Underline where the light would catch with some of your highlight tones ensuring the highlight for the wrinkle is subtle and follows the contours of the area.

Age spots - Forehead of the demon. Thin your darker colour, a red brown or greyish purple maybe. Over your base colour before shading and highlighting, spot it on carefully using very little paint on the brush. Do 2 or 3 layers but not the same on every spot. Now glaze your shadows and highlights and some mid tones back over the top. If some fade too much retouch them with the original dark colour one very thin layer at a time.

Note: These pieces are quite large (the skull is about twice the size of my thumbnail). So it may take a lot of back and forth on a smaller less flat surface, but should still be doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewsayer View Post
    Hi,

Search up some images of older people. Find 2 or 3 with photos elements you like for your model. Look at what colours you see in the photo and try and add similar. You can even drag the photo into a colour match app (Reaper have on that gives you their colours but would be a kick off point at least). Add in some mottling and use a less consistent overall tone than you would for younger skin.

Try adding some wrinkles (painted on) and some age spots.

Wrinkles - See the crack over the left eyebrow of the skull. I used the same technique as for battle damage on armor. But made sure the line wandered around a little and had small curves. To get it fine paint the dark colour first to get the general shape you are after and then use the skin tone(s) around it to thin it back and make it fine and sharp. Underline where the light would catch with some of your highlight tones ensuring the highlight for the wrinkle is subtle and follows the contours of the area.

Age spots - Forehead of the demon. Thin your darker colour, a red brown or greyish purple maybe. Over your base colour before shading and highlighting, spot it on carefully using very little paint on the brush. Do 2 or 3 layers but not the same on every spot. Now glaze your shadows and highlights and some mid tones back over the top. If some fade too much retouch them with the original dark colour one very thin layer at a time.

Note: These pieces are quite large (the skull is about twice the size of my thumbnail). So it may take a lot of back and forth on a smaller less flat surface, but should still be doable.
    really nice information there!
    handmade, quality acrylic paints
    www.warcolours.com