Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sorastro's Zombicide: Black Plague Painting Guide

I love this and cant wait for the necromancer!

Quote Originally Posted by vethian View Post
    I love this and cant wait for the necromancer!
    Thanks Vethian! I'm also looking forward to covering the necromancer and of course the herozs

Great tutorial, those zombies are looking cool! Anyone any idea if some of those other box sets of black plague zombies, and or survivors are likely be available? I can't find them anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kameha View Post
    Great tutorial, those zombies are looking cool! Anyone any idea if some of those other box sets of black plague zombies, and or survivors are likely be available? I can't find them anywhere.
    Thanks a lot Kameha! I'm not sure to be honest.. I'm also looking forward to them though

They are probably arriving in stores soon. As of now, only the main box and the expansion are available (I *think* - I haven't been paying attention, since I'll be getting everything from Kickstarter, hopefully next month).

Quote Originally Posted by oistene View Post
    They are probably arriving in stores soon. As of now, only the main box and the expansion are available (I *think* - I haven't been paying attention, since I'll be getting everything from Kickstarter, hopefully next month).
    Awesome! I'm also eagerly waiting for my Kickstarter goodies

Absolutely nailed those tutorials, I think they are great, really do!

It's all about mass producing with these boxed sets (got rum and bones, Mazu expansion and all the amazing ZB;BP kickstater stuff) so got to think about high quality quick and easy and that's exactly what you've given us

I will definitely be using this for my hordes and hordes of zombies and canon fodder! And then and extra attention to the heroes of course

Thanks so much for great videos I've really enjoyed they way you paint, how you set it up and the layouts and explanations on screen

Have your extras come yet?

Thanks a lot for the kind feedback! No my extras haven't arrived yet, but according to the email that CMON sent out today they should be arriving next week. Can't wait!

Hi folks!

It's been a while but I finally got round to painting the Black Plague Necromancer and have a guide prepared if you're interested... Can't wait to get stuck into the heroes next

Hi Sorastro,

I just created an account to say I love your tutorials! They are simply the best I have found for Zombicide Black Plague. I have two questions to ask you -

1. When will you be doing the hero's tutorials? Please hurry! I suck terribly at painting and the only way I have managed to get halfway decent results is to copy your tutorials nearly to the letter haha! But seriously, help me Sorastro Kenobi you're my only hope!

2. Secondly did you get in on the Massive Darkness KS? (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ssive-darkness), cos I'm gonna need tutorials for that too lol

But seriously, love your work!

Quote Originally Posted by cryocat View Post
    Hi Sorastro,

I just created an account to say I love your tutorials! They are simply the best I have found for Zombicide Black Plague. I have two questions to ask you -

1. When will you be doing the hero's tutorials? Please hurry! I suck terribly at painting and the only way I have managed to get halfway decent results is to copy your tutorials nearly to the letter haha! But seriously, help me Sorastro Kenobi you're my only hope!

2. Secondly did you get in on the Massive Darkness KS? (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ssive-darkness), cos I'm gonna need tutorials for that too lol

But seriously, love your work!
    Hi Cryocat!

Thank you for the kind words! I will most likely be covering the first Black Plague hero later this month (hooray!). I confess I didn't Kickstart Massive Darkness but if I like the look of it once it's released I may well pick one up anyway

Hello!

I finally made a start on the Black Plague heroes so here's Ann the Nun: (With accompanying video tutorial here). Hope you like it

Last edited by Sorastro; 10-04-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Glorious stuff Sorastro! It just so happens Ann was the next character I was going to do (only done the Necro, Samson and the abomination so far). I love the extra tutorial you've added for the sword highlights. I would love to know how you get the eyes to look so neat, they are really the bane of my existence. I'll post up some photos of my abomination in the next few days, which I used your tutorial for (if you don't mind).

If you're like me, and you've benefitted tremendously from Sorastro's Black Plague tutorials, you really ought to consider sponsoring him on his patreon account. Simply stated, you pledge as little as $1/video for every video he produces. The videos linked above are all typical samples and he produces a few each month. You can also set a cap on your monthly pledge. Now that he's gotten the sponsorship, I believe he's painting full time and making this his career. He's talking about buying better filming equipment to produce even higher quality videos. You'll note he's also extremely easy to correspond with and is supportive of his followers and their questions. By supporting him, you get his videos a week or so before they hit YouTube. He has neat bonuses for those who pledge beyond the minimum. At the end of his Nun-painting tutorial above, you'll see that he lists the names of all those who've pledged $5/video or more. Please consider pledging. How much would you pay to have access to a DVD that featured the tutorials listed above? It's certainly worth a small monthly investment.

https://www.patreon.com/Sorastros

Thanks for the rallying cry Sean! It's an honor and a privilege to be able to make a living producing these tutorials for my patrons

Quote Originally Posted by cryocat View Post
    Glorious stuff Sorastro! It just so happens Ann was the next character I was going to do (only done the Necro, Samson and the abomination so far). I love the extra tutorial you've added for the sword highlights. I would love to know how you get the eyes to look so neat, they are really the bane of my existence. I'll post up some photos of my abomination in the next few days, which I used your tutorial for (if you don't mind).
    Thank you Cryocat! Of course I'd love to see your abom! Eyes sure can be tricky; all I can suggest is keeping both your wrists (and elbows if possible) resting on a surface so you're pretty much locked in position. Also getting the consistency just right helps too although that's tricky to explain in words..

Love the tutorials. As a new painter I'm shamelessly following your zombie one to the letter, but I've come up with an issue on my first test zombie using the Testors Dullcote.

Name:  IMG_5692.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  1.53 MB

Name:  IMG_5691.JPG
Size:  1.56 MB

The spray seems to be craking the quickshade (I think) which is most noticable on the base. Does anybody know why this would happen? An issue with the spray, or perhaps that the quickshade was too thick? It looked about the same as Mr Sorastro's!

Any guidance would be much appreciated before I press on with the rest of the zombie horde!

Thanks

Hi Pwalker84!

Thanks for the kind words and I'm sorry to hear about your cracking issue (although your zombies do look great!). I've got a few possible suggestions as to why this issues has occured:

1) Possible over spraying of the Dullcote (although I'm not sure how your zombie survived un-cracked!)
    2) Not allowing enough time for the Quickshade to dry (24 hours+)
    3) If it's very humid where you are that might also cause issues...

If the problem persists you could brush a gloss varnish on top of the Quickshade to form a barrier before applying the dullcote.

I hope this helps!

Sorastro.

Thanks for the quick reply! Think it could possibly be a combination of 1 and 2...I didn't leave him for a full 24 hours, more like 20 (impatient!), and I did think when I sprayed the dullcote that I might have been a bit too close...will take these into consideration for the next fella.

I did try one with just Agrax Earthshade as that's what I had to hand, which turned out fine, but I liked the idea of the extra protection that the Quickshade would give

Name:  IMG_5689.JPG
Size:  1.48 MB
    Last edited by pwalker84; 11-04-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Pwalker84, my guess is the cracking is from the quickshade. I've had that happen with polyshades on woodwork if some of it pools to thick which is possible with a base. As Sorasto said humidity and not being fully dry before adding the dullcoat could be the problem.

The only problem I have had with Dullcoat itself is that some of the nozzles on the new style cans don't spray evenly and it can frost a bit when it goes on thick. But I have never seen cracking of Dullcote.

btw your minis looks pretty nice.

Hello!

It's time for the next episode in the Zombicide: Black Plague painting series; this time it's Silas the Elf! I hope you enjoy it