How to avoid little pieces for grain on mini from brush!? (with pics)

Thread: How to avoid little pieces for grain on mini from brush!? (with pics)

Default How to avoid little pieces for grain on mini from brush!? (with pics)

Hey guys..

SO this has been a recurring issue for me. My mini's gets a very grainy (maybe 'very is an overstatement) but little pieces of I guess is dried paint is on the surface.

How the hell do I avoid this?

1. I try to rinse the brush pretty often in water, mid painting.

2. It's usually black that is the worst sinner. A lot of little grains from that paint - dont know why...

Name:  12835058_10153817482715033_2112844453_n.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  34.0 KB

Are you using a wet pallet? I get a similar issue with my wet pallet, I'm using cheap baking paper from the supermarket but after a while the paper starts to come apart and I get some grain like pieces on my brush, I find being careful not to rub the paper too much when I pick up paint helps prevent it and changing the paper often (it takes a week or 2 before it starts happening)

If not that then perhaps the paint is drying on your brush while you paint but that seems unlikely as you said you are rinsing your brush often, do you take excess paint off the brush on the edge of the paint pot? You can sometimes pick up some of the dried paint from here, err can't think of much else that would cause it, hopefully I've been of some help

Easily cured....go to a good art shop and buy proper brush soap. Use it regularly.
    If you can't get brush soap, try Dove as a substitute.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

It could be a few things.

If you thin paint too much, that grainy texture can occur. If you only use water to thin, try adding some extra medium or glazing medium at the same time, the paint will still thin but won't break down.

As suggested by Dragonsreach, get a brush soap, The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver works great and comes in little plastic containers that you can use your brush directly on. Even the small tubs last a long, long time. Using it at the end of a paint session will do wonder's for both cleaning gunk out of your brush and keeping it protected between session. Put a drop of water on the soap and pull your brush across it until the water stops being colored by your paint Also, based on your pic, a liquid brush cleaner/restorer might help as well, you let your brush soak in it a bit and it does wonders for pulling out paint that dries in the ferrule.

Hard water might also be a culprit if you aren't using distilled water. Based on the pic, this one seems unlikely, but it's worth considering if the other stuff doesn't fix the problem.

If the paint itself is drying as you are using it, adding a tiny bit of drying retarder will stop it from drying too early. This will also take it longer to dry on the mini, so if you're doing layering it can add quite a bit of time.

I am using a wet palette, and only with regular baking paper... Don't know if that is the cause though..

Caused by little dried pieces of paint. Keep a toothpick handy and when you see the bits on your model remove them immediately to avoid headache. Quite a common issue. If it happens more often with black paint then replace your black paint. I would guess that you are using Citadel paints? They get the dried bits more often because of the open pots.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    Caused by little dried pieces of paint. Keep a toothpick handy and when you see the bits on your model remove them immediately to avoid headache. Quite a common issue. If it happens more often with black paint then replace your black paint. I would guess that you are using Citadel paints? They get the dried bits more often because of the open pots.
    I think I found the culprit..

Sometimes to give the brush some wetness and remove any excess paint (that hadnt already been removed from wiping it on a cloth) I sucked on the brush. I know this is not very healthy og smart, but it was a habbit I have not really noticed before this. Could this be the case? I now see that whenever I did this, the dried pieced of paint would show on the brush.

I dont know the physics of it though. Why this would happen, but it happens every time I did it..

This can also be caused by paint that's thinned too much and allowed to sit on a wet palette. Time for a new batch.

Quote Originally Posted by bard2000 View Post

Sometimes to give the brush some wetness and remove any excess paint (that hadnt already been removed from wiping it on a cloth) I sucked on the brush. I know this is not very healthy og smart, but it was a habbit I have not really noticed before this. Could this be the case? I now see that whenever I did this, the dried pieced of paint would show on the brush.

I dont know the physics of it though. Why this would happen, but it happens every time I did it..
    It could be that you're pulling crud out of the ferrule by sucking on the bristles, which means you do need to clean your brushes.
    It could also be how you store your brushes in between use, vertically isn't the best way really a brush holder that allows them to lie horizontally reduces the wicking effect into the ferrule.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    It could be that you're pulling crud out of the ferrule by sucking on the bristles, which means you do need to clean your brushes.
    It could also be how you store your brushes in between use, vertically isn't the best way really a brush holder that allows them to lie horizontally reduces the wicking effect into the ferrule.
    This seems the most likely. If you're still experiencing flakes after you get some brush soap you may need a liquid brush cleaner/restorer that you soak the brush in for a bit. It will get paint out of the ferrule that the brush soap can't break down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    I store mine a certain way: keep the plastic tips that come with most quality brushes, and store vertical, tip-or brush end-down. The plastic tips allow you to do this. That way, any excess fluid caught up in the ferrule will drain out through the plastic tip.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Quote Originally Posted by bard2000 View Post

What DR said about dried paint in the ferrule being drawn out by your sucking is likely the case. Another issue could be that when you keep the brush in your mouth for a long period of time, the heat from your breath is causing whatever small amount of paint remains to dry up into little bits. Maybe?