How do you feel about your old minis. Revamp or leave them be?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about your old minis. Revamp or leave them be?

Question How do you feel about your old minis. Revamp or leave them be?

I just got back into the hobby after an eight year break.

In the past few weeks I doug up my collection of old minis, some reaper minis painted for fun and some orcs and blood angles.

I used to consider myself as being able to paint up to at least, let's say, a "decent" tabletop standard.

But, I'm honestly , in retrospect I'm quite underwhelmed by many of my minis, especially some of the marines.

I wonder how other people feel about their early works. I have mixed feelings about stripping and repainting some...

Do you sort of "revisit" your old minis or do you regard them as "souvenirs" of your early days as a painter?
    I'm a postmodern vegetarian. I eat meat ironically.

I keep them as is. It's good to see where I started.
    Forgot, that it works again.

I only bother if I really like the mini and think I could do better now, I used to do it alot more often though when I first got back into it, I found I'd get better from one set to the next and so to save money I'd strip the older ones for more practice, but now I prefer more variety of things to paint so usually can't be bothered going over the same mini again (unless I really like it and made a mess of it the first time)

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    I keep them as is. It's good to see where I started.
    Ditto, unless it's damaged and needs to be repainted.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I leave them be as well.

I also feel like there are new and interesting models coming out all the time, so if I keep going backwards to repaint the old stuff, it takes time away from painting the new stuff.

I guess I should post some pics of the minis in question. I'm thinking of brushing up my old metal space marine scouts and that old space marine captain. I painted the scouts in a green and brown camo pattern which makes their white eyes pop out in a kind of Marty Feldman-ish way...

I'm even thinking of giving my old landspeeders a major overhaul.

Is it true that you can strip plastic minis by using brake fluid?

I'm not too sure about the possibly caustic nature of brake fluid. That being said, there are lots of "mild strippers" out there on the market. Most folks use something like simple green. It'll remove the paint, without melting the model,... especially if you forget about it for a day or two. Metals, on the other hand, you can do with a more aggressive chemical, as it's less likely to hurt the metal.
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

i sold all my table top armies to make room and funds for my display painting. I regret nothing
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    i sold all my table top armies to make room and funds for my display painting. I regret nothing

I've considered doing that with all my old Dark Eldar and Necrons, but I'm not even sure there's much of a market for that stuff anymore.

Strip of paint and redo em sentimentality will not improve your painting plus as minis seem to cost more than their weight in gold it makes no financial sense!
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

I strip and repaint them since I have improved and I want all models to be on the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Daegond View Post
    I've considered doing that with all my old Dark Eldar and Necrons, but I'm not even sure there's much of a market for that stuff anymore.
    keep 'em until you hear the next codex is being release and then gouge away on ebay - especially if you happen to have oop minis in those armies :P
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

I keep the special ones eg first one, winners of things etc.
    Nuke the rest..........its the only way to be sure!

A 10 ball first, circa 1987, im open to offers starting at £1000........

Name:  img4f85a0218582c.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  39.8 KB
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Strip of paint and redo em sentimentality will not improve your painting plus as minis seem to cost more than their weight in gold it makes no financial sense!
    I look forward to seeing your stripped and re-painted Axenarf, Andy!
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

I agree with 10. It's nice to keep a few pieces for nostalgia, but why take up all that space with old figures when I like my newer stuff so much better? I found that as I improved my painting skills, the old stuff I had just didn't look as neat anymore.

The game store near where I grew up does used gaming auctions, so I disposed of a lot of my old gaming stuff that way and used the funds to buy new kits. Of course if a kit is out of production or just hard to get, then it's worth hanging onto. Maybe I'll strip it and redo it sometime. This mainly applies to the Rackham figures I've got.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    I keep the special ones eg first one, winners of things etc.
    Nuke the rest..........its the only way to be sure!

A 10 ball first, circa 1987, im open to offers starting at £1000........

Name:  img4f85a0218582c.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  39.8 KB
    I'll play this game...

Name:  DSCN0441.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  143.3 KB

I guess that's what people call a "blast from the past".^^

Both were painted with Hubrol enamels, am I right?

When I was around 13 I used to be very much into modelling and only knew about enamels and never heard about water based acrylics. I don't know why Revel and Humbrol seel enamels so agressively as the smell like hell, using thinner is a mess (although it creates those sweet, nauseating fumes...)

I was also very much into Space Crusade and Talisman... and painted my friends space marines and talisman chracters. I was very pleased back then but I know that they were hideous to be honest.

Alright guys, post some more pics of your early masterpieces

i hardly ever repaint anything, but i do occasionally throw old stuff in the bin (or pick bits from them.). although, i would never sell any of my precious miniatures, they're my babies starting to get crowded at home!

Quote Originally Posted by Euphorion View Post
    I guess that's what people call a "blast from the past".^^

Both were painted with Hubrol enamels, am I right?
    yep, didnt have any brown so used some brown gloss paint my Dad had in the shed

Strange thing is that back then I was happy with my painting , now im never happy and always criticizing my own work
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    Strange thing is that back then I was happy with my painting , now im never happy and always criticizing my own work
    Well, if you we're still happy with that you'd still be painting like that!
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!