Ritual's work in progress (or, how to get my act together)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ritual's work in progress (or, how to get my act together)

Default Ritual's work in progress (or, how to get my act together)

I just realised that I've been a member of this site for a little over 12 years now. While I've posted quite a lot of miniatures in my gallery (long time since any additions, though), I've never posted any pictures of what I'm working on. During the last years I haven't really been working on anything, so as an attempt to get back to form and having miniature painting (a hobby I really, really love) to once again be a part of my everyday life I thought I'd start this thread. If nothing else, Skel wouldn't believe I painted something unless there was photo evidence!

My aim right now is to paint some quick miniatures. Nothing complicated and I'm not going to spend ages on them perfecting things (that's the plan, at least). Just getting some figures painted up and FINISHED!

This figure is first out... I've been spending a day on it so far. Nothing on it is finished. The shield will be getting a dragon motif and some battle damage. The rest will be pretty straightforward. The hair is only basecoated and will be more orange-red. I'm quite happy with the colour scheme.

What better figures for quick, uncomplicated painting sessions than Hasslefree?
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

About time to! Way too much talent not to be painting.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Nice shading and colors so far, especially for a "quick" project. I look forward to following your WIP thread!

shit, when did Merdia straighten her hair? Well she looks good, nice start!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Nice start good volumising contrast on the cloth and yep hasslefree rocks
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Thanks for the encouragement!

Oh, and I've finally warmed to the regular Scale75 paints, the non-metallic ones. I have always liked the colours and the very flat finish of them. But, I've had problems getting them to work with the way I paint. I think, due to the very matte quality of them, they have given me problems in getting smooth transitions. But, now I've started to learn how to work with them. And I love them! The dress is painted with Scale75 paints + VMC Ivory for highlights.

@Andy: Thanks! It's a sculpt that really takes some work on emphasising the volumes. I'm currently volumising the... erm... backside.

hey, who are you and what have you done with ritual??

regarding the scale75 paints you should go to a banshee workshop. he spent a good hour or two explaining why they are the worst brand of paint ever created lol

Good stuff correct me if I'm wrong but isn't she one of their dwarfs? Tiny even by HF standards

Yep, it's a dwarf. It's 24 mm from the feet to the top of the helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    hey, who are you and what have you done with ritual??

regarding the scale75 paints you should go to a banshee workshop. he spent a good hour or two explaining why they are the worst brand of paint ever created lol
    I'm alright now! I think...

Well, they are the paints that have taken the most effort to get used to in my experience. I think the old Rackham paints were worse, though I never tried them myself. But, I'm starting to really like the results I get from the S75 paints now. I hope it's not just the particular paints I've used here, but all of them. Or most of them, at least (there are always individual paints you never seem to get along with).

i have never tried scale75 paints myself but obviously people tend to like them so i guess they work perfectly fine. i personally really dont like total flatness, that's why i still prefer the old gw paints and the vivid satin finish they give. Alfonso say they add littlebit of grey in all S75 paints to make them super dull super matt, speaking color theory they "murder" the paints this way. none of his S75 boxarts is painted with S75 colors...

anyway, great to see you painting again , im waiting eagerly for next update... this year? lol

anyway, great to see you painting again , im waiting eagerly for next update... this year? lol
    Hehe, I'm hoping later today! I've been progressing since that picture was taken. (Home with a cold.)

Interesting about the S75 paints... They do have rather bright colours still. And, you definitely don't want total flatness all the time. So a bit of mix and match when it comes to paints is the best way forward.

Love the start on the cloth and I'm looking forward to more updates. With regards to scale 75, it took me ages to get use to the thicker consistency of the paint and they really don't seem to mix well with other brands without a lot of dilution. Having said that I really like the flat colours for certain finishes

Interesting. I think their metallics are fantastic, but I've had trouble getting the hang of using their regular matte colors.

Me like everybody else is ecstatic that one of mailfaux 's original box artists is back at it with ...oh yeah a w I p page.

Thanks, guys!

@BaM: I'm surprised anyone remember that...

Ok, Skel is really going to believe somthing is afoot here... This is where I'm at now.

I have painted the leathery bits at the front, started working on the longer sleeves and also painted the front of the shield. There may be some cleaning up work to do with the freehand. Quite pleased with the shiled, but damn the freehand was tricky when my brush control is a bit out of order. I had to take it veeery slowly! But, anyway, turned out ok, I think.

lovely work, great weathering on the shield too
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Fine job mate that is looking great. Your in the zone here push on while it's going so good!
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG