[Airbrushes] Looking for recommendations

Thread: [Airbrushes] Looking for recommendations

Question [Airbrushes] Looking for recommendations

For the last few months I've been thinking about getting an airbrush. After doing some research I'm now looking for recommendations.

What I'm looking for is an airbrush with a dual action trigger and a gravity feed. On the needle side, I'm looking at a 0.2, but that's a bit of a detail here.

So, any recommendations for that kind of airbrush? Also, any recommendations for compressors? A compressor with a tank seems to be preferable, as well as one equipped with a moisture trap and regulator.

Finally, I'm not looking for anything super fancy: just something decent for miniature painting.

Thanks for your time!

for AB I really can recommend Harder-and-Steenbeck Infinity. But I'd really reconsider getting a 0.3 or 0.4 needle + nozzle too depending on the paint you use. GW/VGC/VMC clogs a LOT LESS in a .3 than in a .2. You'll feel the difference.

but to be honest it's best to get the one that you can easiest get parts. For example:
    - Iwata/Badger in the US
    - Iwata/HnS in the EU

There is not a lot of difference in the spray-pattern of different AB-s. They are mostly the same. Sometimes even cheap chinese nonames are good.

For compressor: I can't give brands, but the moisture+regulator is pretty standard, a tank is highly recommended as is a quick-switch
    Last edited by MAXXxxx; 03-23-2016 at 12:05 PM.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

What are you going to be doing with it?
    A 0.2 mm gun is an illustrator's gun. Very find detail, very thin paints (inks).
    Most of us are not up to the challenge of painting a mini with an AB. Way too many color changes, way too many areas to mask off. Much easier with a brush.
    Lots of us use an AB to prime, base-coat and clear-coat a mini. This does not require a fine detail gun. Just the opposite.
    Badger (mostly bottom feeds).
    Iwata (Elipse, Revolution & NEO come to mind.)
    Paschee (VL is probably the MOST used AB in the world)

1, Make sure you can get spare parts. You will damage a needle and a cone at the most in-opportune time possible. (11:00 at night before an 8:00 am deadline).
    2. Spend lots of time shooting lines on paper towels with cheap ink or homemade washes. I like the kind with dots on it. Practice starting, stopping, going left to right, right to left, up to down, down to up, etc.
    3. Learn to clean your gun. One bit of dried paint can make it a splatter gun or non-operational.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

I am also getting ready to finally grab an airbrush. Mostly to paint Infinity models and will be lining and detailing with a brush.
    I read some good things about the Badger Renegade Krome.

Also Amazon has teh Krome for $115 and the Sotor 2020 for $99.
    Last edited by JMichael; 03-24-2016 at 07:28 PM.

I find airbrush conversations with miniature painters interesting. People seem to overthink airbrushes a lot. I work as a model maker and scenic painter for a living and use an airbrush a lot. And what I've learned are airbsushes are very situational. There are golden demon painters that may situationally need a fine airbrush like an iwata or steenbeck with .3 needle but for the most part I don't believe it's needed. Most miniature painters use an airbrush for priming, base coating and sometimes pre shading. This can all be done with a simple double action. Gravity feeds are nice and I have a few included a beautiful Grex ab that I love but I always find myself going back to my paasche vl. It is a work horse. It is the most popular ab in the Industry. It's cheap and can take a beating and you can get parts at a freaking michaels. In fact, and I'm sure I will get shot down for saying this but I also keep falling back to my paasche single action. It's super low maintenance and the easiest thing in the world to clean. And it's $20. A vl can handle any of most miniature painters needs.

Also harbor freight sells a decent compressor for very cheap. I wouldnt buy the ab specific compressor though. I would go to the 2.5 gallon pancake compressor. I believe it's like $50. Let it fill up and you will have air for a while. And for $50 the gauge is surprisingly decent and allows the psi to be dialed down pretty far. Hope that helps. I will defend my vl and single action any day haha. Start there before you buy a $200 brush.

Quote Originally Posted by JMichael View Post
    I am also getting ready to finally grab an airbrush. Mostly to paint Infinity models and will be lining and detailing with a brush.
    I read some good things about the Badger Renegade Krome.

Also Amazon has teh Krome for $115 and the Sotor 2020 for $99.
    blech - avoid the renegade line like the plague, go iawata if you want finer than the badger patriot - which is my workhorse. I have a renegade velocity and have stopped using it altogether. Dsamuels is right. No need to go that fine at first.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo