Crystal Brush Judging Defenition
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crystal Brush Judging Defenition

Thumbs down Crystal Brush Judging Defenition

I heard in another forum that one of the Judges own a painting studio and one of the contestants are working for him... I dont want to believe that this is true... is it? Is it? I hope that the whole competition isnt some kind of advertisement of the Judges Painting studio... right? I hope the rumors are false!!! except there is something fishy ... I want for people that know what is happening to inform us...

Likely not true, however if it is...It's only a conflict of interest if the piece that wins was painted for the studio in question. If it was done on their own time its fair game. Any time you include a cash prize you attract the professional ranks. Drop that cash prize and it goes back to a community centered comp. Until that happens you will attract the pros who paint for a living because 10 large is nothing to sneeze at (even with a 30% with holding tax for non residents). Enjoy the seminars and the time meeting online friends from the forums and swapping stories and techniques - that's the real value of a great event like this
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

you are right! I wonder when and I say IF this contestant are collaborating with the judge at the same painting studio, by giving the win to his employ is like he advertise his services! "My employee won the Crystal Brush award" and no one will wonder or suspect that he gave the awrd to him... Am I wrong?? I love cool Mini or Not and I hope everyone is wrong and there is no one friend with the other and they will not share the prize for them selves... Since I am very suspected, I hope I am wrong, is like they will give the money to his employee and he will share the money later!
    Last edited by gcop33; 04-03-2016 at 09:58 AM.

From my long association with CMON I must speak up to defend them. I have found them to be decent kind ethical people and I find that with such a suggestion is most unlikely in the extreme. The hobby is such that everyone knows everyone else and I am sure you could look at many other comps and you would find a similar situation.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Since I know them since 2002 I am sure that you are right... but the rumors gives and take... and in the back of my mind is the "there is no smoke without fire". but we will see what will happen very soon!!!

You aren't wrong. Many pros attend comps to give their services and prices a tangible measurement. It's hard to prove to people you are worth the price in a subjective/creative field, but if you have awards then they can do the talking. Commission painters are always on the look out for ways to promote what they do and get that next job. It's like freelance work in other fields. Even when you aren't working on painting your are working on finding your next job or promoting your business. High profile competitions are a good way to do that.

I do the same in some competitions too. It is normal... but I am not competing! because it will be super strange to take awards from my boss and gain fame and money... that will help my boss!!! I just show my miniatures and I ask to not take any award or prize! It is more fair for everyone else that they dont got friends in the Judges!!

More and more people saying what I said previously! And I pray not to destroy that great competition! Read this :http://legionofthecow.com/2016/04/03...rush-worth-it/

Some interesting ideas to tweak it in the future (especially better marketing), but the rest of the article comes across as sour grapes to me.

(In the interest of transparency- my "Sci-Fi Squad" entry, "Freedom Intensifies" was the only one that was up for online voting that did not place. I Don't begrudge any of the winning entries- I think each of them deserves their win)

To add my two cents about impropriety with Crystal Brush today... One of the two 1st Place winners for Sci-Fi Squad (Tom Schadle's Pan-O) was never up for online voting. He was told it was due to a glitch, apparently, it was never posted. It was, however, announced as a co-winner of 1st place in category.

It was my understanding that online voting accounted for 50% of the score, so it seems a little odd to me.

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Some interesting ideas to tweak it in the future (especially better marketing), but the rest of the article comes across as sour grapes to me.
    I take what LOTC says lightly. They were needlessly blunt Warcolors during the beta test and I'm sure there are politics at work with this article too. They have tons of talent, but to me they tend to come off as having a somewhat negative tone. It's just painted toys, boys

Congrats to all the winners, finalists and really anyone who had the brass tacks to even enter with those industry moguls kicking about this year!

A
    Quote Originally Posted by popg0estheworld View Post
    (In the interest of transparency- my "Sci-Fi Squad" entry, "Freedom Intensifies" was the only one that was up for online voting that did not place. I Don't begrudge any of the winning entries- I think each of them deserves their win)

To add my two cents about impropriety with Crystal Brush today... One of the two 1st Place winners for Sci-Fi Squad (Tom Schadle's Pan-O) was never up for online voting. He was told it was due to a glitch, apparently, it was never posted. It was, however, announced as a co-winner of 1st place in category.

It was my understanding that online voting accounted for 50% of the score, so it seems a little odd to me.
    I think in the event they make a mistake it shouldn't penalize the artist so I suppose they decided to weight judges' vote as both halves. I couldn't imagine how upset I'd be losing because of someone else's honest mistake considering the unbelievable number of hours the overwhelmng majority of the entries had invested in them.

And as for the topic of this thread, it is true. The 'meet the judges' introduction of Jose as studio director of Bigchild Creatives links to their Facebook page where the entry is promoted. I am a skeptical person and sincerely doubt anything sinister was going on. I do think it was probably not a good idea for Bigchild to promote their studio painter knowing the head was invited to be one of the judges. I just don't want CMoN to have anyone affect the spirit of their competition when the last thing we all want is for anyone to be turned off to this fantastic hobby. Thanks CMoN for contributing to the hobby and sponsoring this event which inspired an incredible amount of talent and evoked so much hard work. I was blown away and can't wait to compete again despite not making the first cut. At least put up some pictures of the other entries for Pete's sake! (I understand these are volunteers and are putting in a ton of effort so thanks Jen and others!)
    Last edited by james9487; 04-03-2016 at 10:12 PM.

I've got a lot of issues with that post over on the legion of the cow. Most of it comes across as someone who has never been to the show. Once I get back home I might write up a response to it in detail.

As for whatever this thing is about a guy who works for one of the judges, I think it's a bunch of people trying to come up with drama where there is none. There's a four judge panel, each comes up with their own score which gets averaged. Then there are all of the internet votes which also get averaged into the end result. It's not like one judge is going to magically make the entry win the overall spot if it's not good. They're human, so maybe they show it a little more favoritism than other pieces... but I don't think any of the judges seem like the kind of people who are going to intentionally try to subvert the competition. And the piece you're talking about was argueably one of the best pieces in the show. Many artist there thought it'd be first overall (which, by the way, it wasn't).

Every show that is this competitive will have people coming up with judging conspiracies. I don't buy into the 'where there's smoke there's fire'. I think it's more a matter of people seeing a cloud and saying look, smoke!

Personally as being a Crystal Brush participant for 4 years now, I really enjoy the show every year and make an attempt to participate and push my painting to a further level with new pieces, new techniques used, and advice given from past years. Even though my Gunslinger piece did not make first cut, it showed me what I have to improve on, and what further level there is to obtain when compared to artists such as Bailey03 and other winners in the category.

There is a reason a lot of the same painters are making first cut and winning as well, and that is because they have practiced, learned, and mastered the techniques of painting. The composition, story, lighting, ect is really all that is separating these pieces from winning or not. There is really nothing to be upset about, because like mentioned, the judges are human, and they might enjoy a certain piece more than others, but in the end at this high level of competition, most if not all pieces are starting to be judged by composition, story, lighting, ect, rather than only by who has more error or flaws in their painting.

Everyone who had placed deserved there spot greatly, and looking at the competition as non-biased as I can be (even though I am part Polish, so was pushing for Karol's piece.) I can understand who placed what and why after you look at each piece. Though sometimes that's the negative of being a judge, having to be non-biased, or let someone down that you know deserves the place as well.

The overall status of the competition was great this year, as was the rest of adepticon, good times were had by all, or uhhhh... most.

There is always controversy after these big comps. Last year after Salute there was many unhappy people with certain judging aspects, last mini GD i was one of the unhappy people about confusion with the finalist places.
    I suppose you either roll with it or don't enter. Personally the wins always outway the many loses so im always dusting myself off after a bad one.

Never been to CB and Im not clear with all the rules etc. Ive read there is a rule about multi-people can enter a mini but only have one name as the painter? - not sure I like that rule at all
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Well I have read everyone opinion... but I was right... and yeah the judges are humans... and it is very reasonable to show favoritism to a piece! but it is a whole other story to show a favoritism to a certain piece and to show favoritism to a piece of your friend, partner, or boyfriend. No one can prove that in any upcoming competitions of crystal brush a judge and a competitor that they are partners, friends, or working together at the same studio show "favoritism" to one another against the whole competition! if any of you had ever been in a judging committee would have the experience that judges can change the rest of the group, opinion. To avoid any false, or right rumors in the upcoming crystal brush competition the rules must be more strict! for example "people that work together can compete at the competition but they cannot compete if one of them are judge!"
    Here in Japan, in a similar situation in a local painting competition the judge (and also working partner of the contestant) disqualify his friend! It would be very bad for the reputation of the competition to give an award to his friend! set aside that in that competition there was no money prize! So for the good of crystal brush and the good of the hobby we must avoid similar mistakes!

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    ?..It's just painted toys, boys

Congrats to all the winners, finalists and really anyone who had the brass tacks to even enter with those industry moguls kicking about this year!
    THIS^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by james9487 View Post
    ..I just don't want CMoN to have anyone affect the spirit of their competition when the last thing we all want is for anyone to be turned off to this fantastic hobby. Thanks CMoN for contributing to the hobby and sponsoring this event which inspired an incredible amount of talent and evoked so much hard work. I was blown away and can't wait to compete again despite not making the first cut. At least put up some pictures of the other entries for Pete's sake! (I understand these are volunteers and are putting in a ton of effort so thanks Jen and others!)
    I agree whole heartedly and I also want to see photos of the other entries....isn't this about COOL MINIS.

BTW i love it when the underdogs (i.e. Hobby painters like Bailey and BAM) are able to place against the pros in such a tough competition. Another thought on Karol's dragon (I don't know where it placed): I am sure it looked great irl, but the composition didn't photograph worth a crap (too busy) and didn't wow me like others and I suspect got hurt in the online voting.

Cheers all. Mike

i still dont think its a good idea to involve a huge cash prize in a highly subjective competition like this.
    im not a fan of online voting either, turning it into a popularity contest, sort of.

other than this, looks like an awesome event.

Yeah, I understand that the cash prize can lead to questions like this, but I think it's an important part of this competition. Without it I highly doubt the number of fantastic European painters would bother with the trip to the U.S. And the reason a lot of the non-local U.S. like me are only going to see the great work in person, take classes from these people, and try our best to see how our pieces stack up against them. So I'll take the good with the bad.

I agree about the online voting. I really don't think it's necessary for this show. You've got a good panel of judges onsite. But I think they do it to avoid people saying the results are biased (though obviously that's not 100% effective). I also think it's a great marketing tool. All those pictures published all over Facebook, people from all over the world logging in to vote. It definitely raises the visibility of the show. There's definitely potential for abuse and turning it into a true popularity contest. But, so far I haven't seen that happen. The pieces that win tend to be the best pieces. We can argue that 3rd should have been 1st, but can happen at any show. What I'm looking out for is a piece that has no reason to be in top three and somehow does. I've yet to see an example of it at this show.

In the end, I give more credence to what people who were actually there and actually competing say. I haven't heard them complaining about bias or favoritism. The people I talked to at the show thought the results were right on. Again, we might argue a different order for 1-2-3, but that will often be a matter of personal opinion. I didn't see anyone walking out of the awards saying this is fixed or what that's not fair.

I agree both years I went both years I can honestly say it seems very fair and mostly on point when it comes to them . Even talked to Jennifer Haley and she responded right in front of the other guest judges,she wants to take time no matter how long but take the time for her to view each and every piece from every angle and in photographs too. And she definitely is a fair unbiased judge and really cared about what she called"her baby" meaning she was to do the whole show judging,finals,voting tally ,all by herself....and she did two years in a row I think she's amazing,patient and very understanding yet not a push over either.shes the reason the show is really turning high profile. For example the years I did not attend some pieces which were mediocre ,made the places and got a trophy ,simply because no body entered...so two years later now if there isn't enough (and believe me I was ready to ake another crystal home) then for the sake of pushing only the best highest possible paintings she merged the categories by disolving one of them this way people just don't throw on some crappy paint jobs and just enter in a category where there are not many entries just so they can say I WON ,IM GREAT" meanwhile its winning by technicality. These ways that she has dealing with these issues on the spot ere machine ...

but out I also agree with skillet that this may end up as a problem in the future due to Internet voting and and popularity voting. :/