Transporting minis
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transporting minis

Default Transporting minis

I was terrified for a load of people I saw at Salute this year who were transporting painting competition minis secured with nothing but Blu-Tack. I know most people have no problems with it but it's just terrifying to see.

I'm not sure if it's useful or not but I thought I'd just share a few links to the things I use to secure my minis. I have a really nice wooden case Jeff Wilhelm at Dragon Forge Design made me years ago but any container would be fine such as plastic clip top one.

The important thing is that you can drill a hole or lots of holes through it.

Then, the plinth the mini is attached to then has one of these inserted with a little glue:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270922543815

They're not cheap but they are great... I think a some money can be saved by not buying stainless. Drill a 10mm deep and 5.2mm dia hole in the plinth and then a (roughly) 1.5mm deep and 8.5mm dia hole. I then spray the base with Halfords Satin Black (http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pai...ay-paint-500ml) and wait for it to dry. Once it's all dry, I put the top of the plinth on a strip of soft leather and push the insert into the hole in the bottom - there is a lot of resistance and friction alone would probably hold it but the glue is nice security.

They stick perfectly into wood or resin puck type bases I buy from Model Display Products.

Once everything is set on the base I use M4 x 10mm M4 wing-bolts to hold the base really solidly. I got the bolts from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252239689444

If you're happy with your Blu-Tack ignore all this and may your minis always remain safe!

I used to use a hard case and screw my miniatures to the bottom of it. But, I have found blu-tack does the job beautifully, with much less hassle. If you use a sufficient amount of it, i can't think of anything that would make it come unstuck. Just make sure you use fresh blu-tack. A friend of mine had his case, with minis blu-tacked to the bottom, placed in the overhead compartment, by an air stewardess, upside down on a cross-Atlantic flight!! The minis were fine, though.

But, this would of course be absolute fool-proof!

What I have found to be the bigger problem when transporting minis and the only time I've gotten something damaged was by overly aggressive security staff at an airport literally shoving my case through the security scanner. That made miniatures pinned and glued to the bases fall off and get chipped. So, good advice to everyone is to open up your cases, or whatever you transport your miniatures in, before handing it to the security staff and show them what's in there and ask them to be gentle. Sometimes they will forget there's a queue of a hundred people behind you and look at your miniatures for a good while, before getting on with their jobs.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

I do like the idea of the insert, though. I just used to drill holes into the bottom of the plinths and then put regular screws into them. This seems a lot better!

For the last couple of years I've used Pick and Pluck sponge padding, but after this weekend (*) it looks like I'm going to be making a plexi-glass fronted carry case.
    With Skellets items getting damaged I'm seriously thinking to prevent the risk from external impacts / fingers / Wossathen NosyParkers.

The items Joe is suggesting look right up the alley for what I need to build.

(* Damaged a piece by ill considered packing- my own fault as well.)
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I also find that blue tac works pretty great. The only damages I have had is if the miniature itself breaks from the base or if some part of it breaks off. I actually doubt that I will do a white metal / lead entry to a competition again for that reason. If it's not a really small mini like a lotr or Hasslefree one.

i always screw my stuff, dont trust blue tac.. but yeah security went bananas on my stuff this time, poking the miniatures "whats it made of??" i almost answered explosives.

but like avelorn, i will probable never paint metal again if it isnt small 28mm miniatures. even if plastic break, it rarely damages the paintjob too much. i mean, i had a regiment flying around in a box like a centrifuge and almost everything was alright after gluing them together.

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    "whats it made of??" i almost answered explosives.
    Those kind of jokes rarely go down well...

I agree with the metal mini thing. Even small HF minis can be a problem, as they sometimes have very little room for pinning the mini to the base. It was a tiptoeing HF mini that was damaged for me.

by the way this is the way i do it; http://5-th-dimension.blogspot.se/20...portation.html

bullet proof for everything but security no-brainers.
    Last edited by SkelettetS; 04-18-2016 at 03:37 AM.

I agree about lead minis entirely, I wouldn't use screws for posting a mini anywhere... A few years ago, one I sold self-destructed because it was secured at the base and postal service bumps meant the weight of the mini did the job. I was, and still am, really sad it happened.

I like the furniture plug - very cost effective and I think just as nice as the expensive ones I use!

I had some delicate stuff sent to me recently. It was packed in a box within a box. I had to ask the sender what they had used to pack it with. Toy stuffing as in what you put inside soft plush toys is readily available from ebay, cheap and won't damage anything. Link

It's not as secure as Squidders suggestion but for posting things it's idea as there's not much weight to it and I guess if you were to pack mini's in your hand luggage with it they've be safe too.
    In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Been thinking about transport ready for Euro and after the screw-up I did to my Salute entry I'm definitely adding a repair kit capacity into what ever I build.
    BUT thinking about the logistical issues of lugging a case onto trains and through London, should I go with MDF or Plywood?
    Also not sure if I should go briefcase size or smaller?

One thing the interior is going to have a foam lining, that's for sure.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    , and proud of it.

I would highly recommend Velcro. Hook side on the carrier, soft side on the plinth. Cut correctly it looks very tidy and unseen on the plinth, very strong, I guarantee the mini won't come off (unless you kick the shit out of the carry case) and the best advantage for me is the ease of removing the mini at the event! I thank Conrad (prawnpower) for helping me out with this
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Lee, would never have thought of Velcro.
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    I would highly recommend Velcro. Hook side on the carrier, soft side on the plinth. Cut correctly it looks very tidy and unseen on the plinth, very strong, I guarantee the mini won't come off (unless you kick the shit out of the carry case) and the best advantage for me is the ease of removing the mini at the event! I thank Conrad (prawnpower) for helping me out with this

I've been using velcro in this way for ages. It's absolutely the best method I've seen, heard of, or experienced for myself for keeping everything in its rightful place.

MDF is going to be a lot heavier, something to think about when carrying around all day. I make my cases (made, past tense. ) out of plywood and never had a problem.

Zach

Quote Originally Posted by GunmetalDude View Post
    I've been using velcro in this way for ages. It's absolutely the best method I've seen, heard of, or experienced for myself for keeping everything in its rightful place.
    What do you sit the plinth on when you take it off the velcro and set it on the table? Seems like it would be wobbly just sitting on a soft velcro strap. Pictures?

Useful informations here.

I use blutac as well but it's nice to come across other options.

I take the chance to ask about SHIPPING miniatures instead.. what you guys think is the safest method?

I'm talking about shipping large/complex models, e.g. 54mm or more on a complex and fragile scenic base...

I still have to find a good way to ship them..

Quote Originally Posted by CrookedEye View Post
    What do you sit the plinth on when you take it off the velcro and set it on the table? Seems like it would be wobbly just sitting on a soft velcro strap. Pictures?
    If you cut out correctly and place to the very edges of the plinth it will be stable. I havent had a problem on very small or large plinths (yet!)

Name:  Axis of Chaos.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  212.2 KB
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    If you cut out correctly and place to the very edges of the plinth it will be stable. I havent had a problem on very small or large plinths (yet!)

Name:  Axis of Chaos.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  212.2 KB
    Ah, I see. if you essentially go the whole base area it's just a pad on the bottom instead of rubber feet or velvet.

It's been several years since I painted enough to do anything like this, but here's what I have: http://www.crookedeye.net/forsale/box/box.html

Zach

Well, I gave in and Purchased a MDF case, haven't had time to make one. (Retired and no time? WOT? HOW?)
    Lee, much indebted for the Velcro tip, Bolton to Folkestone via Manchester and London, nothing shifted.
    , and proud of it.