Return to the hobby after a long time.... - Page 85
Page 85 of 89 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 1777

Thread: Return to the hobby after a long time....

that is freakin' awesome! Love the colors and patterns you got on the carapace!

That is awesome, great work. Really menacing and atmospheric. Congrats on this

Fantastic
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Best of luck at the competition!

Toad, CC, BaM, Eki, Ten, and Sigmar many thanks!

Unfortunately the store voters thought otherwise and I got a silver....so no progression to the main online vote....pretty gutted about it as I felt this was my best work to date.

Oh well...regroup....go again!

Glad I don't go to your store then! Seriously, hard to believe that 'Nid got beat out.

Wait..... what ????? That’s ridiculous!!!!! Well I guess that’s the problem with public voting competitions !!!! This is still one of if not the best entry I have seen put forward for this competition out of the hundreds I have seen so far!!! I am really surprised by that... what a bummer. Oh well at least you have your next GD entry ready to go

With this kinda thing -the initial voting getting off the ground Iain very dark ,deep , And extremely cruel realities that one gets involved in. A woman and her some can come into a store that can be their first time only to have her family of 12 come in a half hour later stating wow we never knew you were even round here - oh we can vote on today’s events really!! I’ll take that one that looks like a seahorse- oh no wait I want ...hey jedediah come vote on this one it looks like pecko our dog!!!!

BaM.
    sad that only those who understand what their looking at -understand what their looking at. These are more a fun way of potentially getting into a roulette wheel style luck of the draw way of winning an item that’s 7,000 dollars. Now the actual skill part takes over way after the initial way from the early voting fruition.

and even then it’s the best pictures and photoshop take it over a cellphone.

how to react - it’s simple- you didn’t lose (I saw the winner) you didn’t get the VOTES NEEDED!!! Those votes were what nobody would want anyway. You didn’t get beat . Someone else grabbed the B.S. VOTES THAT ARE A NECESSARY EVIL NEEDED TO ASDVANCE !!!
    plain and simple- keep that head up . Whoever won -there’s is no reason anybody would be thrilled if they surpassed another’s work that was 10xs the skill level!!!
    BaM ;-)

Wow, that’s tough. I won’t try to parse the result, but a silver medal does an injustice to your work. It’s easy to say that the award isn’t important, or that the true reward of the effort is intrinsic, but it weighs heavy on the creator when that effort is directed so decisively at something. So damn, man, I really feel bummed for you.
    I know you’ll keep rocking your own style and pushing yourself to new heights, but don’t let this result dent your pride in this piece for a second. It’s an absolute stunner. I’d have voted for you.

Hairster, I applaud you for taking the high road on this and you have the support of everyone on CMON as you've demonstrated your skill time and time again. The Tyranid is an innovative mini and is some of your best work yet. It is a shame that the voters at your local store didn't recognize this but I think the genius of this piece is widely recognized both here and on Instagram which is no coincidence. So keep at it and I know that you'll get the recognition you deserve in future competitions! Also, please put him in your gallery here on CMON so we can flood it with votes of 10!

Cheers everyone, I got the bum deal this time that’s all. It’s the nature of the beast and style of competition, my local store is also definitely not a painting centric one either so not sure that helped.

More than anything I’m frustrated to not be able to take the model further as I have had such positivity about it from people who know their onions, both here and on Instagram.

Really appreciate everyone’s support here as always.

Back soon with something new!

I can totally understand your frustration at this one especially considering the excellent painting. Well, you can just enter it at the next GD and see how it does, a chance at the Slayer sword and a Golden Demon would at least ease not getting the chance to go for the Everchosen. Besides, if the heathens at your local store couldn't appreciate the skill and artistry that went into your piece then shame on them. I am sure it will earn you something if you enter it in other contests in the UK/Europe you can make it to.

I don't understand why you only got silver... Your work deserve much more imoo. THIS IS an outstanding piece!

I will echo the sentiment...your ‘nid is COOL! Lovin’ the skin pattern and it is really complimented by the base.

Any new magic happening in your work space? Miss looking forward to your posts!

Quote Originally Posted by DaBeebs View Post
    Any new magic happening in your work space? Miss looking forward to your posts!
    Well....something a bit different....following the frustration of the Everchosen result I threw myself into some solid modelling as a break from painting and to clear my head. I picked up one of the paint your own Space Marine funko pops with the intention of doing some heavy conversion on it.

Firstly dismantled it by submerging it in boiling water to soften the vinyl, then gently pulled it to bits with the aid of a scalpel where needed

Name:  1F0CFBCA-4C7C-4BDF-A213-0CBC74EDFFF6.jpeg
Views: 203
Size:  268.7 KB

I decided I could make this work as a Noise Marine and it would fit the fun aesthetic of the model....so next I did some blu tac proof of concept work followed by beginning the slow build up of putty.

Name:  846D82AA-BAD7-4154-876D-4C919C3673A4.jpeg
Views: 202
Size:  118.2 KB

Putty work continued slowly building up the shape and form

Name:  E58268B5-94DD-4289-924E-762CFDE027C0.jpeg
Views: 203
Size:  99.5 KB

I’ve just primed the head for the first time to check for defects before moving on to the Mohawk. You can see the areas that need tidying up on the pics

Name:  B1CBF4A4-6AFA-4BC8-8355-EAE15D6F8E0D.jpeg
Views: 201
Size:  97.7 KB

The body is also currently being reshaped and reposed and I have completely converted the backpack to reflect the Chaos backpack of the mini. Will update on those when they are in a more complete state!
    Last edited by Hairster; 08-03-2019 at 04:39 AM.

This definately looks like it will be a fun diversion.

Hairster, I love that xeno you did, the smoothly shaded purple carapace looks gorgeous. And the base is fantastic.
    The noise marine looks cute, it'll be a fun project!

Bit more Funko for you....getting close to finishing the conversion work

Name:  726653D0-2679-4C65-9FA0-FACBA8103E85.jpeg
Views: 159
Size:  108.3 KB
    Name:  F2281BFF-5A60-4B52-8C6A-796A45E7CBC3.jpeg
Views: 157
Size:  106.8 KB

Awesome idea. The backpack, in particular, looks great!