Return to the hobby after a long time.... - Page 27
Page 27 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: Return to the hobby after a long time....

I'd like to cast my vote for the first option, over the top! Looks awesome, and I reckon you'll make it look incredible!

Oh, the last one, for sure. It will enhance the little story detail that most of that craft is salvaged from somewhere else. And it neatly emphasizes the level of sophistication of snotlings, I mean, they're even smaller and dumber than Gobbos. A childlike drawing would suit it perfectly in my opinion.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    A childlike drawing would suit it perfectly in my opinion.
    Yup, I agree on this!

I think the second drawing would look better. On that scenario (second drawing) I would not go with those stripes though... they look too perfect or too elaborated for that drawing... maybe a "simple" very dirty white cloth (splattered with grease and maybe dry blood) or a single dyed colour (beige, orange or reddish desaturated brown, or black with the drawing in white...) would work better with the simple "line" drawing. Another option would be making the stripes a bit more thick for the simple drawing to work on them.

If you are going for the elaborated drawing, the thinner lines on the canvas may work as they are now...

Just sharing my thoughts here and trying to give you more ideas to think about...
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Or make the sail colours very faded, with some stains. And the face in dried-blood red?
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

The sail needs some patchwork spots imo. Looks awesome.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Top advice everyone...all noted for this as it progresses.

Patches definitely!

Will definitely sand/fade these back if I stick with the stripes.

Wow, some great advice. In addition youcould also paint an orc version of the first pict on the back and have a big red X through it showing they requisitioned the sail, crossed out the offending logo, and added their simpler snotling version. In fact you could have a snotling stitched to the sail painting the loago with a severed rat.

Blog Entries

I'm loving this project all the way!

Currently trying to get a sun faded weathered look to this before I think about trying to summon my inner 4yr old for the snotling additions...at the moment whater they have painted will either be done as a thickly daubed red paint, blood or possibly a dirtier ,browner medium more suited to such feral, childlike creatures.....

@KB was thinking of having a snotling dangling from the sail...will need to get hold of an appropriate figure though to do this. Thanks for the suggestions!

Oh, gosh! How did I miss this? This might be the greatest thing I've seen!

Also, I def agree with meph. Childlike and raw is the best way to go^^

Name:  IMG_5767.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  122.9 KB

Progress on the sail weathering, took the original painted sail and painted in some damage on the blue areas, then shaded in darker sections of the blue and off white. Next took some wet and dry paper to it and carefully sanded things back. Finally I have added more staining with sepia washes and added woven texture in off white and sepia.
    Last edited by Hairster; 07-19-2017 at 03:00 PM.

I would never have thought to use sandpaper on something already painted. It's given a great effect, suitably beaten up for the snot-wagon

That sail looks awesome! Nice work.

Few updates on progress, have been practising the Snotling icon to go on the banner but haven't bitten the bullet yet...

Have been corroding metal in the meantime and making a start on the bait...

Name:  IMG_5771.JPG
Views: 237
Size:  181.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_5770.JPG
Views: 235
Size:  149.3 KB

Wow, that's some top-notch McGuyvering right there. You've got me all excited-like.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Keeping the updates coming as off on my hols on Monday... working on the wood on the old white metal bits

Name:  IMG_5782.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  176.7 KB

Vallejo game colour stonewall grey and leather brown 50/50 mix base coat the. Multiple ink and glazes over to build up the colour followed by highlights

Just wow man! The paintwork is definitely matching the build in quality. This is going to be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    have been practising the Snotling icon to go on the banner but haven't bitten the bullet yet...
    In situations like this I like to hit the banner or whatever with a layer of clearcoat before starting the freehand. That way if you mess up and need to erase you can be more aggressive at removing the error (I use a stiff brush and some flow-aid as a spot stripper if I need a do-over. It will lift the paint as long as it's not quite dry).

This is just looking great - that sail is spot on and the cow is a great touch!

I'm not sure if the sail needs the addition of the snottling icon - maybe as a pennant or flag flying from the top of the mast?

Thanks Khavor and Quiarcus....I've given that sail a mattcoat already so at some point will bite the bullet and get the sail finished...

Woodwork all coming on nicely, really pleased with the tones coming from it...hoping I can cleanly match it on the balsawork as well.

will try to post an update before I hit the airport for hols tomorrow.