Return to the hobby after a long time....

Thread: Return to the hobby after a long time....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Return to the hobby after a long time....

Hi All,

New to the site and returning to mini painting after over 20 years away from the hobby.

I was probably 18 or 19 when I last painted a miniature and I turned 41 this year.

Wow things have changed...It was all lead minis when I last painted. I'm also getting used to the amazing array of paints and resources that are now available....

I picked up Zombicide Black Plague to play with my kids and as a means of getting back into doing some painting.

So after starting to replenish my long dried up paint and brush collection I have started again...

Heres my fist stab at Nelly from the game.

Name:  COMBO.jpg
Views: 3180
Size:  1.25 MB

It's a bit rough and ready but pretty pleased with it as a start.

The base and detailing need work.....as clearly does my dodgy smartphone photography!

Theres so much info/tutorials/videos out there now to soak up I'm sure I'll be improving slowly.

Comments are obviously welcome!

Good to be back in the game.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Hairster
    Last edited by Hairster; 04-26-2016 at 08:18 AM. Reason: added link

Welcome back to the hobby and to these wips. She looks good and the freehand line around the skirt is very neat. Also like the controlled application of blood. I would have went even less on the back as I expect most attacks occur to her front and would create most of the blood splatter there. Very nice work.

Welcome aboard, it's a great starting point, there doesn't seem to be any colours spilling over to places they shouldn't be, I made a pigs ear of my Nelly, I found her face and chest difficult to get at because of the pose, the only way is up from here!

Welcome back to the hobby! Looks great. Nice colors and I like the details like the stripe on her skirt and the blood splatter.

welcome back, nice start
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Thanks for the replies and comments...much appreciated.

I've just finished the Abomination figure from the game so will post up some pics of that very soon.

Its also about time I started a proper WIP so will take pics of the painting process of the next of the Hero mini's I paint.....possibly Baldric or Samson

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Now that is one Bloody Nellie. Welcome back to painting, doing much the same thing myself.
    HEY I DON'T NEED YOU TO TELL ME I CAN'T PAINT
    THAT JOBS ALREADY TAKEN

Posting up here got me thinking back to how I got into the hobby.

If i'm not very much mistaken it consisted of this figure....

Name:  DSCF1559.JPG
Views: 2978
Size:  216.2 KB

...picked up from Games Workshop Birmingham back when I was 9 or so. (1984)

I think this was my first experience of miniatures and having looked with awe at the ones in the shop I proceeded to take it home smear it in copious amounts of green and brown humbrol paint...

We've all got to start somewhere i guess....

Something about the golden oldies (not all mind) that I still find compelling.
    HEY I DON'T NEED YOU TO TELL ME I CAN'T PAINT
    THAT JOBS ALREADY TAKEN