Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: Return to the hobby after a long time....

Oh boy, this'll be good! I love the idea of a cattle-crane.

Together with the roller on the front, it conjured up the image of a high-speed cow-harvester. Imagine the look on the farmer's face when he finds all his cows missing in the morning. An empty pasture, a broken fence, some small pools of blood here and there, and some weird tracks that seem like a cart going all over the place.
    Last edited by Meph; 07-13-2017 at 07:22 AM.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Thanks everyone....one of those projects that has sparked my imagination and I'm super motivated to make progress. I also have a ridiculously clear picture of the finished diorama in my head....whether I can realise it is another matter all together.....

@meph ha! Nice idea, would make a great scene. Not quite what I currently have in mind but we will see how things develop

a few day 2 pics...starting to work up the detail on the back section. Next stop green stuff for shrooms and fungal growths I think. MAy also add a section to the top front to allow me not space for the bait rod and the cannon...need to wait for those bits to turn up so I can get a better idea of scale.

Name:  IMG_5729.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  150.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_5730.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  118.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_5731.JPG
Views: 148
Size:  116.3 KB

Looks excellent! Nice sketching skills by the way
    Feel free to come by my WIP or have a look into my Gallery
    Voted on 5377 out of 235568 minis, and also left 847 comments on Cmon Gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    Looks excellent! Nice sketching skills by the way
    Yup, that's a next-level horsie alright.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

This is fantastic Hairster, full of the character the old GW minis used to have. I can already picture it crawling with snots. Brilliant work so far!

Hahaha, brilliant Cattle crane.

What's it going to be inspiring to Power the cart? Squig on a treadmill?

This is going to be excellent
    error 404: signature not found

Thanks Khavor and Fox, if you couldn't tell I'm really enjoying this!

Mast now in place....planning on painting something fun on the sail I think.

Name:  IMG_5743.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  203.0 KB

Hehehe, this is going in the right direction for sure!
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Love the design of this. Reminds me of the old days of Warhammer, before it became a little too grim dark and still maintained a healthy dose of irreverent humour.

I love what you're doing here. It's such a creative, fun, piece.

They should mass produce this model instead!!! hahaha I love it. It's awesome even without colours on it!
    Feel free to come by my WIP or have a look into my Gallery
    Voted on 5377 out of 235568 minis, and also left 847 comments on Cmon Gallery.

KB, Meph, Quiarcus, Fluisterwoud and Maenas thanks for the comments and encouragement.its all back in pieces now ready to be painted and have Greenstuff shrooms added.

I started looking at the sail last night and formed up a rough sail shape from modelling clay, then experimented heating up plastic packaging with a hot air gun to see if it would form to the shape...it kind of worked...I felt like I wanted more creases in it but in hindsight looking at some images the wind would pull most of these out....any thoughts?

Name:  IMG_5756.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  152.5 KB

Its had a coat of spray now so I will add some more detail with a drill and file ( rips tatters etc) try some paint on it and see what I think...guess the other option is to use this as a former and roll out some greenstuff so I can make something a bit more controlled.

Just the idea makes this my favorite piece ever.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Well, that looks pretty good actually, all nice and billowy. And with some extra detail it would look very good I think.

Hmm, most older sails have seams on the edges, but I'm not too sure if that would be doable. Perhaps before the blowing, fold a seam and gently melt it down with something hot such as an iron, a heated knife, or something similar. But then again, as they say: 'A goblin makes for a poor seamstress.'

And I'd definitely do a test piece first to try out the paint. Acrylic paint is relatively stretchy, but I'd want to know if the paint would crack or not if the sails was accidentally poked by a finger or put into travel packaging.
    Last edited by Meph; 07-18-2017 at 05:39 AM.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Fantastik got my best eye on this

Hmmm I see what you mean about the sail, but maybe the creases could be added when painting? The overall shape is great, looks like a scrap of fabric as opposed to a carefully crafted sail. Love watching this thread progress!!!

Thanks again for the comments and feedback on the sail....

@meph I tried a number of materials including some thinner plastic heatshrunk but at this scale and without a vacformer to suck them to shape they just distorted too much. This one was definitely the best of the bunch and at least gives me a rigid surface to work on. As Replica said I'm happy for this to be a tatty sheet or knackered old sail they have found and reused.

this brings me into my next question.... should what's on the sail be an excuse for me to try my hand at over the top freehanding? Or be more in keeping with the subject matter? E.g. a childlike scrawling on an existing sail...

kind of a style over substance question I guess....sail progress (basic paint and shaping) and ideas below....

Name:  IMG_5764.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  172.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_5765.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  179.8 KB

any thoughts are most welcome!
    Last edited by Hairster; 07-18-2017 at 04:09 AM.