Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1280

Thread: Return to the hobby after a long time....

It is getting a bit unbearable around here with the heat. Another week and a half of it if the weather guys are to be believed. The sun is just sticking around waiting, because it's coming home.

Good choice with the lighter coloured scales along the back. It breaks up the green nicely I think. Can't wait for the saurus to sit on top.

Really great work, my friend! That crest down his spine looks terrific and the whole figure is coming together very impressively.

I honestly don't know how you all tackle such huge projects!

What a delicious dinosaur!!!

Oh boy- a nice thing about going on vacation for a week is getting to binge out on all the progress!

With England looking like they could win the World Cup, it is hard not to want to watch! Footie, aside. This dino is really coming along! It is a treat to come back from apartment hunting and see this. Keep up the excellent work and with the World Cup winding down, I bet you'll have this guy wrapped up in the near future

ooh yes, its great to see hm all in one peice. looks fantastic fantastic.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

Gotta say what really blows my mind with all of you higher tier painters is the construction and realism of the bases. I have great difficulty figuring out how to add that level of realism. The model looks fantastic as well!

Thanks everyone, I laid off the paints over the weekend because of the heat here and the minor football related distractions....

I picked up some 30k marines off eBay with the intention of replacing the concrete/girder club on my Leviathan. After GD I relooked at it and felt that the club didn’t really sit properly in the hand and Jarred a bit.

So with this in mind I’ve been working on a limp heretic marine to sit in the Leviathan claw

a little chopping and reposing later...

Name:  8692D36C-34B9-41A7-A8A8-D9EAF95CAB89.jpeg
Views: 170
Size:  128.5 KB

...and some experimenting with metallics...

Name:  18413843-DC19-4ED7-B9E9-FD1D9DBF1D9B.jpeg
Views: 168
Size:  153.6 KB

@Guawol if it helps on the basing, I always try to find a real life landscape image to work from is a massive help, reference pics, being mindful of scale and a nice variety of found items to enhance the scene can be a big help.

Got to be honest mate, I think the marine will suit the leviathan a lot better than the concrete slab.

He’s looking great as well. Nice work with the inks. Do you reckon some metallic medium added into red paint would have the same effect?

Yeah I'm hoping so too.... Its probably my favourite model I've worked on, so keen to go back and improve on it if I can with the benefit of hindsight and time.

I'm not sure on the metal medium as I've never used any to be honest. I'm guessing it would give it a more pronounced fleck that the ink over chrome has (depending on the size of the metallics in the medium).

Might have to pick some up to experiment with.

that will look loads better I reckon, good idea.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

Stand out work mate
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Epic work mate.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

I really like the work you have done on the base....a fitting one for Mr Snappychops. The rocks and small details like the skull are very realistically painted and each brushstroke is perfectly placed. You seem to have found the balance of a great base yet not one that overtakes the miniature. I believe bases should complement a mini, not drown it out.
    Last edited by bullfrog; 07-13-2018 at 03:54 AM. Reason: I can't spell

The gold on the dinosaurs saddle is lovely mate, I see you haven't slowed down much in the last few months haha

Thanks Sicks, Bullfrog and everyone else...

heres the final pics of the changes I have made to my Leviathan.

Name:  F0927964-3FB4-4136-A2D5-0C626E240DAB.jpeg
Views: 39
Size:  119.4 KB
    Name:  93A7C5BB-1B87-47F7-9457-F53BD29D74B3.jpeg
Size:  113.2 KB
    Name:  AC13CFAC-364B-4415-9D6E-47C1BA7416E1.jpeg
Size:  121.7 KB
    Name:  2B716525-EE2B-4E4A-B79B-904DA1A33E96.jpeg
Size:  110.2 KB

Time to finish the Carnosaur now and get cracking on the Tau I have.

Yep, still looks incredible. I keep rediscovering bits on him I’ve forgotten about.
    Did you have any weight concerns sticking a massive cube of concrete on the display shelves at GD?

Cant wait to see what you do with Tau too. They got me into the hobby over a decade ago and I love seeing what experienced painters can do with them. They’re so often overlooked for the more grim-dark models.

Damn nice. I am blow away every time I see this at how realistic the concrete rubble is.

Wow, impressive man! I loved the heretic marine when you posted him a few days ago, but now I see where he met his end! The base is amazing. It's actual concrete?

Awesome work as per usual hairster, the space marine is an exceptional touch!!! Fantastic little touch up job