Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Lone Lemming's WIP

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Lemming View Post
    Guys, thanks, all of you!

clarke:

I would add to Arkaan that I am using 1:1 mix of yellow:shade for the shades and 3:1 yellow:white mix for the flat highlight, and pure white only for some dots.
    I had to experiment a little to find out how will it look like a true metal, but as I said, it was a pleasant surprise to me, too.

So continuing with the head.

Horn is VMC Chocolate Brown, but I had to paint some recesses by hand to make it look good and even. Shade is as usual

Skin is VMC Red Leather, VMC Basic Skintone. I noticed that mixing TitaniumWhite to RedLeather made it chalky, I had to add an intermediate color for good result. Shade is as usual

I had some problem with the eyes, too, they are too small to see any pattern I can paint on them. I feel that does not matter what I paint, the horns simply distract the viewer.

Attachment 61607 Attachment 61608
    Thanks for that, will have to give it a go.

Continuing with the base (see message #262):

I painted it with some earth tones (VMC ChocolateBrown, VMC German Cam. Black Brown, VMC Dark Sand, GW Nuln Oil, GW Agrax Earthshade, GW Typhus Corrosion), then added some marjoram/black tea mix to the top:

Name:  IMG_20171111_113856.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  70.7 KB Name:  IMG_20171111_113918.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  81.0 KB Name:  IMG_20171111_113930.jpg
Size:  80.2 KB Name:  IMG_20171111_113940.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  97.0 KB Name:  IMG_20171111_114014.jpg
Size:  112.9 KB Name:  IMG_20171111_114022.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  128.4 KB

Krule,

I was thinking to add tarragon and oregano, too, but did not find any at home.

Going back to the standard, I bought some bloodletter flag, Citadel skulls (I do not know why did not release it sooner, I bought some skull pack, but anyway..), copper and plastic rod, and voilà, my first building project (kitbash?):

Name:  IMG_20171112_230156.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  178.6 KB Name:  IMG_20171112_233658.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  277.1 KB

And da masterplan:

Name:  Standard.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  51.1 KB

Had to join this thread, as your chaos lord is looking awesome so far... but more so I’m quite excited to see how you go with that freehand on the banner !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Lemming View Post
    Krule,

I was thinking to add tarragon and oregano, too, but did not find any at home.
    I love the raiding of the kitchen cabinet. I have all kinds of spent crushed tea leaves I have yet to use. I am thinking I need to tint them different colors before use. As is it looks like the layer of leave decay below the surface that I am used to seeing in hard woods.

I like the direction you are going with the standard. Will keep an eye on it as it comes together.

Some more small progress on the standard pole (I hate painting NMM rods the most)

Painting the back side gold:

Name:  IMG_20171115_000707.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  90.6 KB

And sketching the front side:

Name:  IMG_20171115_000737.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  96.6 KB

The Khorne logo (some highlight still needed and yes, I broke it down):

Name:  IMG_20171119_214522.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  38.0 KB

Painted the skull with mix of VMC 70.859 Black red (shortcut for 1:1 red and shading), VMC 70.815 Basic Skintone and White:

Name:  IMG_20171130_231630_HHT.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  110.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20171130_231614_HHT.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  106.5 KB

And some progress on the horizontal bar and the back side (even thou the right side is too shiny):

Name:  IMG_20171130_231453.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  163.7 KB Name:  IMG_20171130_231543_HHT.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  161.7 KB

getting good.

Some small things:
    - I iz jelaous, that I can't make it to GD this year
    - base looks great (next time try green tea, much better than black )
    - you are getting pretty good with freehands (on the shields for example, but even before with the Tbell)
    - red flag starts good

- pole, icon and skulls NMM (gold)... they don't really look metal at all. I still think it's the same thing I said before, you don't push the contrast high/fast enough.
    Most noticeable on the khorne icon. The back is highlighted toward the sides, which isn't really how light would fall on it if it is held upright (like how you did the light direction for the skulls/cross-rod).
    The many lined on the front... what would it be? multiple light reflections? if yes, then it doesn't have that effect, there are too many, too close to give that result. To make it readable you'd need 1, max 2 secondary highlight. If it's something else... no idea what it could be (which again means the part is 'unreadable'(sorry it's a term used by Rackham painters, to say "you look at it and know immediately what it should be"))

Pole... it is a b*tch. The best chance I know is doing a line along the length, but it looks good from only one direction (and a 2nd one in an angle(like in this flag) makes it even worse). Photoed from other ones make it look bad. But that's really just a limitation of NMM in general, there is no real good way of circumventing it.

Of course if it's mainly painted for the NMM dwarf army you have (and not only for a painting comp.) then ignore everything I wrote above. It wouldn't match the rest and would be a pain to change things on a whole army.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Thanks MaXXxxx!

- I did not wish to intoduce anything green, and purple, only blue/red-orange-yellow
    - Sorry, shields are not freehand, they are from Dwarf Warriors box and instantmolded from Island of Blood. Tinkle, though, is
    - Thanks, I planned to reconsider the poles and the skulls, I was not satisfied with them either. Pushing contrast AND keeping them smooth is still kind of difficult for me, they need to be revisited. Furthermore I was thinking to switch the silver to wood, but the standard then will look too warm. I will finish the freehand and will see.

- The Khorne symbol was this: Name:  chaos-space-marine-rhino-khorne-symbol.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  11.1 KB
    (http://www.bitzstore.com/en/chaos-sp...ne-symbol.html) Had those etched lines across in the original plastic, too.

- no idea what you meant with the green. For Green Tea I suggested as a green tea fan, that it's better than black ones. , No colors involved.

- hmm, so surface irregularity / battle damage. In that case I can think of 2 things (both are a pita to do at this point):
    -- the lines should be more irregular. More like a collection of dots and dashes than a full line. (similar to writings on 40k purity seals.)
    -- no real need for a transition between the 'line' and the surface, just a sudden dark line for the identation and a white/light underneath to show the 'damage'. I think you did a one-sided blend for example between the white line and the golden surface.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Started sketching the outlines.

Took a photo of the banner, pasted it on the image, printed in the same size (in 3 instances), put a masking film on it, cut out the outlines, airbrushed the silhouettes:

Name:  IMG_20171203_231703.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  191.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20171203_232642.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  138.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20171203_233831.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  113.0 KB

Clever clever clever you Lil banner painter you!!!

I’ll echo what BaM said, that is a very smart way of doing things.
    Things are looking great Lem
    error 404: signature not found

Nice method to get postion and proportions correct.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

thats a great way of doing the banner. its looking good to

Thanks guys, really! As I cannot paint and draw, I had to find out something

There is a hungarian term, penguining (toddling around idly, trying to find out what to do), I did that for a while, not knowing how to continue, finally decided: "eyes"! So started sketching, beginning with the eyes, eyebrows, top of the head, around the head, and the background.

Background is VMC Light Flesh, VMC Basic Skintone, VMC Japanese Uniform (tried VMC Salmon Rose, too, but was too desaturated), VMC Black Red, and VMC Black Red shaded with 1:1 mix of VMC Black and VMA Dark Sea Blue:

Name:  IMG_20171207_000831.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  88.9 KB

So far so good man, looking like your on the right track to make this epic... I think everyone is eagerly awaiting how this turns out!!!

This is turning into a top rate banner. Very cool.