Lone Lemming's WIP - Page 24
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Lone Lemming's WIP

The way your using color on here is ingenious. Great work so far!

Quote Originally Posted by gorb View Post
    I'd like to see a zoomed in photo of the skull tattoo.
    TBH the skull tattoo is a bit in the dark, as the sun was shining yesterday, here is a close-up:

Name:  DSC_1653.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  53.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    Bit of old masters painting wisdom put to great use.
    Thanks, Hairster, but I still feel that it is an incidental result coming from the shade color. But I am especially satisfied with it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    The shading on that arm is awesome, but the red on the gun is droolworthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    The way your using color on here is ingenious. Great work so far!
    Thanks, KruleBear, SaintToad! I messed it up totally, of course, see below

Quote Originally Posted by CyAniDe View Post
    Yap that skincolor on the arm is just mind blowing. Super realistic!
    Can't wait to see the finished mini but I'm sure it will be awesome
    Thanks, CyAniDe! Was planning to finish it yesterday, but the other tattoo was not progressing as well as I planned. Maybe tomorrow. And I will try to add some flow improver, too, based on your idea.

Back to the mini, I added some weathering and finished the sidearm:

Name:  DSC_1648.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  171.7 KB Name:  DSC_1646.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  61.0 KB

Some SBS about the other tattoo (seems to be bigger than a palm, but hey, maybe he is some ex-army mercenary):

Name:  IMG_20181209_114131.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  41.6 KB Name:  IMG_20181209_122310.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  41.5 KB Name:  IMG_20181209_174032.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  45.2 KB Name:  IMG_20181209_185724.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  67.9 KB Name:  IMG_20181209_221615.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  65.7 KB

The tattoo work is great, thanks for the photos! The metal, the skin, everything looks super.

Wow, thanks for the SBS pics. Really interesting to follow along.

This figure is going to be epic once your finished... absolutely brilliant work on the freehand tattoos there mate, they look awesome. I’m really looking forward to seeing this one complete.

Very nice work on the tattoo. How did you paint it onto the arm? With maximum diluted black paint?

Thanks guys,

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Very nice work on the tattoo. How did you paint it onto the arm? With maximum diluted black paint?
    I used watered down 1:1 skin:VMC DarkSeaBlue mix. (You should be aware the VMA and VMC Dark Sea Blue are two really different color!)

But gluing together is XXL PITA, minigun is heavy as hell, my finger hurt and went numb keeping the arms in place. I really need a glue which:

- Bonds in less than 10 minutes
    - Can bond metal, will not chip off like superglue
    - Strong, stronger that superglue

5 min Gorilla epoxy glue seems not up to the task.

Name:  IMG_20181211_182215_S.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  78.9 KB

Next try tomorrow, bought some mini clamps, maybe it will help. But I feel that it will look good...

I used watered down 1:1 skin:VMC DarkSeaBlue mix. (You should be aware the VMA and VMC Dark Sea Blue are two really different color!)
    If you haven't got any Vallejo paints yet, Model Color Dark Sea Blue is a MUST HAVE !!!! xD
    It's great for everything.

But gluing together is XXL PITA, minigun is heavy as hell, my finger hurt and went numb keeping the arms in place. I really need a glue which:

- Bonds in less than 10 minutes
    - Can bond metal, will not chip off like superglue
    - Strong, stronger that superglue

5 min Gorilla epoxy glue seems not up to the task.
    Hmm epoxy glue was the first that came to mind but since you already tried it I don't know anything that would fit that requirements.
    Did you pin the parts? With pins in place the glue bond doesn't have to carry the weight and therefore doesn't have to so strong. Superglue is usually enough then.
    For pinning I'ld have drilled a small hole for the pin in the arm, glue the pin in with superglue. Then drill a much wider hole into the body part, fill it with epoxy putty (like milliput) and fit the arm into position. That way the pin makes it's own hole into the milliput and fits perfectly. Another good tip I learned is to use some vaselin on the pin and anything that would touch the milliput. That way you can easily seperate the parts after fitting since the milliput won't stick to the fatted parts. You can even let the milliput dry and seperate the parts after it cured.
    Learned that when I built an anime figure in 1:8 scale. Since I painted the different parts with airbrush I had to make sure that everything fits perfectly after painting the different parts.^^

Great work on the tats. Guess I need to get some VMC Dark Sea Blue

Dark Sea Blue is a magical colour. Up there with Ivory and my new favourite Rakarth Flesh in my most-used pile.

Sorry to hear about your gluing woes Lem. Maybe a bit of accelerator? Never used the stuff myself but heard good things

That is looking great Lem!

@CyAniDe, awesome advice on the pinning + gluing. I'm taking notes...

Just showing you the assembled mini, did not touch it in the last couple of days, but you deserve to see it in its current state. I did not have the time and the enthusiasm to fix the flaws, but I plan to do them next week. I will reply to you tomorrow.

Name:  DSC_1661.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  202.2 KB Name:  DSC_1663.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  162.0 KB

Name:  DSC_1665.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  155.1 KB Name:  DSC_1667.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  170.1 KB

Wow! Those free hand tattoos look freakin amazing! Awesome work Lem.

Thank you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by CyAniDe View Post
    Did you pin the parts? With pins in place the glue bond doesn't have to carry the weight and therefore doesn't have to so strong. Superglue is usually enough then.
    Issue was that the arm turned around the pin, and it was hard to keep it in place. Maybe I will need to spend even more effort to prepare the mini. And use two pins for heavier parts.

But this whole "assembling" thing was always a problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Maybe a bit of accelerator? Never used the stuff myself but heard good things
    Accelerator is for super glue. And sadly it still easily chips off the metal.

But this whole "assembling" thing was always a problem for me.
    Yes I absolutly hate it too^^ Seamlines are unavoidable but if something doesn't fit properly or if there're gaps between parts that I have to fill with putty I'm super annoyed.

Don't give up this is really coming together nicely.

Yes, please don't give up on this guy, he looks great! I'd love to see the final build, with base and all.

Thank you guys, I won't give up on hip, but TBH I lost some motivation. Really enjoyed painting the mini, but I am now struggling with the assembly and background, however I can show some progress on the latter.

I used
    - home cut 8x8x15 mm XPS blocks, separated by 1mm plastic cards , covered with wood filler, to build the walls and some uncut xps sheet for the edge of the sidewalk
    - Used Dioramasphere's excellent tutorial to build the road and the sidewalk
    - Failed miserably in case of building the drain gate, but used an Atztech one instead
    And tested it with some colors, but it turned out to be to desaturated:

Name:  DSC_1668.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  237.7 KB Name:  DSC_1674.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  193.2 KB

Nice one Lemm, I like the scratchbuilding.

My two cents, for what it's worth: I think you are right with the desaturation - the figure itself is fairly desaturated, so it isn't standing out from the background.
    Maybe make the background darker?

Then again, he is wearing urban cammo in an urban backdrop, so maybe that is what you want. Like I said, my two cents, I'm no expert or anything

The figure is looking great, and the base is very fitting for him. Great work