Green shimmering gold armor ?

Thread: Green shimmering gold armor ?

Default Green shimmering gold armor ?

I would like to create a golden armor which should have a greenish shimmering (e.g. for the Green Knight of Bretonnia).

My idea so far is to use a green wash (or watred down green) on an golden painted armor. So far, I am not that satisfied (armor looks a little bit too dull /dirty..not mettalic)

Who has some ideas, tutorials or actual experiences with metalic armor with colored washes? Even pictures?

I should be something like the metallic-looking color of this beetle (see picture)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sturmfeld; 05-17-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Me
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/323641

and a walk through here:
    https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?bl...9;src=postname

adapt to your needs and colors.

enjoy.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Suggest using iridiscent paints. Could probably also try a metallic stippling and then hitting it with a thin coat of a candy paint.
    Models completed in 2016 so far: 16
    Models in WIP: 22

tp://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/gohkm

Yep. I'd also use iridescent colors for this.
    Like: https://www.paintwithpearl.com/shop/...-ghost-pearls/

Or some acrylic equal. From golden acrylics for example.

Here I used GA interference and oxide colors: http://www.coolminiornot.com/350163
    Forgot, that it works again.

+1 for irridescents. I use Mr. Hobby, but there are several brands available. Failing that, paint it silver and shade/highlight strongly, then glaze a few times with green ink, or maybe even Tamiya clear green. Something transparent, anyway (i.e. not regular paint, thinned or otherwise.)
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

yea, I have experimented a little bit : used green (different tones) and brushed them with gold..well, you receive the look of a typical bronze (withered) statue (looks interessting)

But I want something like the mentioned beetle has.

Best results so far is still a basis of gold (drybrushed with a mix of gold and silver or metallico) and then carefully washed with watered down dark green (any other greens don´t look so good). I will buy a green wash and then will see , how that looks. Or do you think a green (dark?) ink is better ?

The trick is, that in some parts the gold has to be seen more then on other parts. An additional drybrushing with gold doesn`t work......that destroys the iridiscence look I want to have. On some parts I could use watered down gold for highlighting...Perhaps a clean varnish (satincoat) to finish the model?

yea, I have experimented a little bit : used green (different tones) and brushed them with gold..well, you receive the look of a typical bronze (withered) statue (looks interessting)

But I want something like the mentioned beetle has.

Best results so far is still a basis of gold (drybrushed with a mix of gold and silver or metallico) and then carefully washed with watered down dark green (any other greens don´t look so good). I will buy a green wash and then will see , how that looks. Or do you think a green (dark?) ink is better ?

The trick is, that in some parts the gold has to be seen more then on other parts. An additional drybrushing with gold doesn`t work......that destroys the iridiscence look I want to have. On some parts I could use watered down gold for highlighting...Perhaps a clean varnish (satincoat) to finish the model?

Ps: imagine a golden armor which is spotlighted by an green light.
    Last edited by Sturmfeld; 05-18-2016 at 05:27 PM.

My specific process would be:

1. Basecoat black.
    2. Stipple Model Air Metallic Black on the upper half of the carapace.
    3. Stipple Model Air Aluminium on the upper third of the carapace.
    4. Stipple pure Metallic Medium on the upper 10% of the carapace.
    5. Airbrush a very light coat of Tamiya Clear Green all over.

If I need the upper carapace to glisten even more, I can go back and hit the carapace with either more pure Metallic Medium or black, then airbrush another very thin coat of Clear Green.

I think it would be very difficult to achieve this iridscent effect through drybrushing and washes alone, but I'm not a very good painter, so I tend to take the fastest, easiest process.

instead of getting disappointed with the gold+green (wash or drybrush) combo again and again. you really should take a try with the iridescent / interference colors. They are made to get those effects.

With those gohkm's steps could be replaced with the following:
    1. apply color

with the optional:
    1. if you want you can shade/highlight the color however you want.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Yeah, MaXXxx, problem is for just the one model I don´t want to buy any "special" colors . So the "normal" colors have to suffice. The inking/washing of the golden armor so far is ok for me . I don´t want to simulate a real carapace of an beetle. It is rather a knight in an golden armor with a (ghostly?) green aura/shimmer. Imagine a golden armor which is spotlighted by an green light.

The 'green glow' from under the armour is not readily apparent. The armour looks gold, in its own right, albeit a bit washed out (a green glaze over gold will do that) - it will need some highlighting to bring back the vibrancy.

It's a good base upon which to build things. But I think contrasting colours on the wings and weapons may be challenging.

I would avoid the green wash between the armour plates and use straight out paint for a mild OSL effect.

Yea , it is nothing more then a base of highlighted gold with a "glaze" of thinned down dark green (not much thined..about 1:3 ..if it is too thined, the model/gold starts to look dull). I wiped away on some parts the green and carefully highlighted some of the edges. Afetr that two layers of watred down gloss varnish.
    All in all, given the materials (no additional "special " colors ), I am satisfied .

I tried some additional highlighting on the flat surfaces (I experimented on one of the spare Liberators )..but the results wasn´t what I wanted. With this, the armor indeed starts to look like an gold (fair/polished bronze) armor with some verdigris (corrosion). ..After all, I wanted an golden armor/green knight with a green glow/aura

What gokhm said above sounds good, paint it in silver/aluminium colour but instead of applying green all over apply a bright yellowy/green to only certain areas, maybe just the recesses. Apply Sepia/yellow to the higher areas, blend in the edges where the two tones meet. Might work, but will be hard to get the same effect.

Also, the transitions between light and dark in the photo of the beetle are very hard so you would need to try to mimic that as well. Notice the very bright area at near the head, right beside the almost black area. You'll need to try and get that sort of contrast as well.

a shiny clear green (like tamiya clear green or citadel waystone green) over a gold base works nicely, i would also preshade the armour before adding the clear coat to avoid glowy recesses

Your results are pretty darn good. Mimick the contrast of the breastplate elsewhere. You can go much lighter in the highlighted areas. Also, remove some of the thicker areas of green paint. But again, looks pretty cool
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

The new gem paints from GW look pretty good over matalic silver
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 338
Size:  1.54 MB

Use Fastback green from the Createx Auto-Air or Wicked Color ranges. They are green metallic with a gold shimmer. Use gloss varnish to make the green metallics really pop.