How do i make red cold?

Thread: How do i make red cold?

Default How do i make red cold?

When i paint red i usually do it like this (using vallejo game colors)

Basecoat Scarlett Red, shadow 1:1 Scarlet Red - Negro Black, highlight Gory Red, 2nd highlight Hot orange and then i end it with a glaze of Scarlett Red

I have been told it produces a very warm color, well here´s the problem i want my Satyxis Blood Witches to have a cold feel to them.

So is there anyway i can make my Red cold? Maybe give it a blue glaze or what can i do?

red is inherently on the "warm" side of the color wheel. Anything you do to make it "colder", is probably going to take you into purple side of things. (At least into the more burgundy-esque type colors)
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

i usually shade red with blue as i also prefer the colder side of things works well i think, like a blue filter in the shadows.
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

you can shade with dark blue, and highlight by progressively adding a little white. This will result in a pinkish/washed out highlight, but then glaze over the mid/highlights with red ink a few times to bring it back to a poppy red (whilst maintaining the blue-ish shadows) without introducing any yellow/orange tones.
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Another way is to desaturated the red by adding in a small amount of a cold color like space wolf grey...

I use dark flesh (which is closer to a brown) as a basecoat for red. You could perhaps work up from that by adding some grey/white as BAM suggested and avoid pure reds altogether. I've never tried this before though, so test on something first...

A cold red introduces blue to move towards purple. If you truly want a cold feel, do not just shade with blue as some have suggested. You want you base coat to be a cold red, so simply add more and more blue to your basic red until you get the desired effect. Base coat with this, in the shadows add more blue, in the highlights either take out some blue or simply add white to your base tone, though this may result in too much of a pinkish cast for you.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

I think your bet bet would be take all the advice and see what works for you if the model is at the highlight stage then really no reason IMHO to reprint and all that stuff. It's really important to take what the best is for you at the stage your in for you miniature.that being said you could answer your own dilemmas by buying a color wheel and studying it . They have them at every art store . Even advanced types that rotate and show warm/ cool colors and how to achieve them by adding certain hues. This way you'll get used to working with color saturation/desaturation .. Warm/cool contrasting complimentary and analagous colors. Knowing these terms will not only answer your ?s but increase your skill set to become a more experienced and effective miniature painter.

Blueish shadows indeed. With the red moving towards brown/burgundy I thinks it's better than using whites or greys to get a slight washed out effect. But altering the red tones depends highly on the rest of your artwork. Go try some stuff.