Light to paint by

Thread: Light to paint by

Default Light to paint by

I've trawled through the forum for a little while looking for anyone suggesting the best lights you can get to paint by.

I currently use daylight bulbs in angle poise lights, these have been fine but they do get really warm and I can't help think they're drying my paint a little bit quicker than I'd like. So I want to replace them with some sort of LED version that's got good illumination and you can angle it how you want.

I found this on Amazon but it seems a touch more expensive than I was anticipating it to be at £110 - LINK - can anyone recommend anything else that's good and durable and maybe half this cost or less ?

Thanks
    In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OttLite-263...lite+led+lamps I use two of these Ottlite LED lamps... nice part is they are "portable" on battery power or use a DC power adapter for long term home use.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerlith Kinspirit View Post
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/OttLite-263...lite+led+lamps I use two of these Ottlite LED lamps
    Thanks for the heads up. Portable isn't something I need as they'll be fixed within my working area. I'm not sure they have the sort of movement I want as they're only 320mm tall but they're cheap so I might get one to get it a try and see how it works out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lightcraft-...Magnifier+lamp

I use one like this which covers enough area to work on a mini, it has a ball joint by the head which is handy for positioning and 2 strengths of magnification (I think it's something like 2x magnification and a smaller 10x magnification circle built in)

Mick Clark's recently built an arched light using LED strips which looks to give a very bright clean light.
    I'm looking to find the picture as I'm going to build one myself.

Found them:-

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 199
Size:  594.8 KB
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 197
Size:  44.1 KB

Looks like a good good light to work by.
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 06-10-2016 at 08:36 AM.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

@Sicks, thanks. I might look into that for the light alone, I've used magnifiers before and they distort when I'm putting my brush so I'm not sure it's the best route to go for me although with my old eyes I'm thinking it might be better as all the new plastic GW mini's seem so detailed compared to the metal ones I used to paint.

@Dragonsreach - WOW, never seen this before. Is that on this forum ? I searched for lights and LED before I posted this and couldn't find anything (does the search work properly on the forum ?) I've not idea how to build or wire something like this so if he has plans a link to them would real helpful

Yea i mainly just use the magnifier for things like eyes or other tiny details, for the most part I just use it as a lamp. I like the look of that one DR showed but I think I'd blind half the household with it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    Yea i mainly just use the magnifier for things like eyes or other tiny details, for the most part I just use it as a lamp. I like the look of that one DR showed but I think I'd blind half the household with it lol
    One word:-

MANCAVE.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

It took over a year to be allowed a man-corner lol give it a few more years and it's bound to have spread out enough that I'll be allowed a full room

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemunkie View Post
    I use cheap 'daylight' LED corn bulbs in an old uplighter with a reading lamp.

Bulbs from AliExpress. Cheap as chips, near-daylight and they stay cool as.
    Thanks for the heads up Spacemunkie ! Real useful. I normally use 60W daylight bulbs in the angle poise. What sort of power are you using ? They look like they put out a load of light and I wondered if it might be too bright ?