Reaper bones ...Spirit of the forerst....

Thread: Reaper bones ...Spirit of the forerst....

Default Reaper bones ...Spirit of the forerst....

Just started, a Reaper bones Spirit of the forest figure with Green stuff added and textured by hand with a dental probe to represent moss.The moss was carried up the legs to give a really rooted look to the figure and make him look like he is morphing out or attached to the landscape...Milliput toadstools(on brass rod),real rock fragments and a twig have been added for extra interest. The figure has been primed with Vallejo black Acrylic-polyurethane surface primer to tie all the separate components together......
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by ADE70; 06-12-2016 at 02:57 PM.

Nice mods. I like the additional stump coming out of the base.

Ok, started to work on the bark.Using a large brush I roughly painted Citadel Calthan brown on leaving a lot of the black undercoat showing through for a high definition look.I then went over again with the same brown and a fine brush being more careful.After this I applied a wash of Citadel Rhinox hide mixed with Daler Rowney burnt umber.Once this was dry I went back over the bark using the Calthan brown.I decided to paint the tree stump behind the figure at the same time to tie it all together...
    Last edited by ADE70; 06-13-2016 at 06:24 AM.

Thanks for taking the time to comment...

Ok here we go again, still working on the bark....Now adding Citadel Iyanden darksun to the Calthan brown to brighten up the edges and increase definition with two more highlights...

Hes looking good so far, have you thought about adding some greenish tinges? It would help give him a more natural forest type look

As an example see the tree on the red riding hood figure here http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...bruary-Group-X which I did with gw colours, rhinox hide, xv-88, zandri dust, heavy layers of waywatcher green followed by athonian camoshade and then back over with zandri dust, it was mainly done with dry rushing since it was just a tree for the base but I think the green tinges in it made it look more natural

Hi and thanks for your comment.It's on my mind to do something like you've suggested but as there is so much greenery on him I don't want him to disappear into a green mass and lose his shape as he is already so densely textured...I'm just starting on some of the vegetation now will check how this looks....Once I'm happy with that I will decide how much further with the bark I will go.....

Here we go again....and finally for the bark at this stage a glaze of burnt umber and some of the deeper cracks darkened with Rhinox brown,black or a mix of the two....Now, I would normally do the base last but due to the overlap with the figure I decided to bring it up to a decent level at this stage to match certain parts of the treeman ,ie the moss on the head,back,elbow etc...I started with Citadel Caliban green then mixed in Citadel Warboss green then finished with Warboss green on it's own..using a dry/wetbrush technique then tidied up any overlap with a some black to end this phase....

In one last glorious push for today I went in and tackled the vines encircling the legs and waist. Using Citadel Warpstone glow as a base coat and then adding Citadel Skarsnik green to the mix for successive highlights...And that is it for today.....

Only had a couple of hours today so tackled the straggly mess on his back plus some of the larger leaves around his back and neck....Name:  TREEMAN FUR AND LEAVES FRONT.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  624.5 KBName:  TREEMAN FUR AND LEAVES BACK.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  578.5 KBName:  TREEMAN FUR BACK CLOSEUP.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  860.1 KBAttachment 49809

Good call on the different tones of green. Also you manages to make the extra tree on the base look like part of the sculpt. I think if you have a chance that adding some area highlights for more contrast would bring him up another knotch. For example the top fingers on the hands, the top of the head, and top of the lower lip. Just my 2 cents. Will you be gaming with this? Would be pretty impressive on the table.

Hi Krule,Thanks for taking the time to help, you're right about the highlights....These will go in nearer the end as I finish up other areas .As he is so densely textured there is a lot of overlay of different colours so I don't want to finish the bark completely and then get some paint from another area on it by accident.I try to be as neat as possible but mistakes are inevitable....The green is the biggest issue with this figure as I don't want him to end up like a shambling bush......I won't be gaming with him he will just be on the shelf with my other giants..

Another two hour session whizzed by with me achieving very little....I touched in a few areas which I finally decided were bark not vegetation.Then moving on to altering the neck as I had realised it was hair not leaves (the sculpts are soft on bones figures making it had to discern on such a heavily layered figure).Then it was on to some of the flowers which I went for a dark pink plus a orchid in pale blue and then followed this with the fruit around his lower back and legs.Lastly I started on the bracket fungi using Citadel Snakebite leather with white added for following highlights and with one last push ....basecoted the Fly Agaric toadstools with Citadel Mechrite red...

Another quick blast and the Fly Agaric fungi were done plus basecoated purple toadstools...Some areas of vegetation were brought up to speed ,a couple of flowers were picked out and now it has become obvious that the bark needs more attention to make it stand out along side the other colours....
    Last edited by ADE70; 06-16-2016 at 06:11 PM.

Getting close now folks...only had an hour today so tackled the purple toadstools,fungus on left shoulder,some bark touch ups after some mold lines became apparent and were removed,grapes under his chin and then started to pick out some of the bark again..I think now adding some green and other colour stains to the bark will add a bit more variety, this will be combined with the barks final highlights...took some side shots to show off the Fly Agaric better....All criticism is appreciated if you have time...

Well folks hopefully this is nearly it and with Father's day tomorrow and the promise of another new figure to paint I smashed into the treeman. I started by really hitting the bark up with loads of area highlights adding on some green areas to represent lichen and deepen some of the cracks....

Nice! I like the additional tones you added in on this last bit of work.

Finished!!!
    Last edited by ADE70; 06-19-2016 at 11:19 AM.