ADE goes giant mad... - Page 10
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: ADE goes giant mad...

Cheers Krulester.On with the body!...arms and neck off,build up with tinfoil and hot glue then clay added over the top and textured.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

OK finally, Tree man starting to look like something .Used a wire coat hanger and masking tape to form the armature for the left arm.Drilled the shoulder and pushed a wire through and bent this over to form an incredibly strong joint as the figure needs to move. This has been such a steep learning curve as each day new challenges arise. The arm was built using a sketch for dimensions(the first real planning of the figure). At this stage it currently stands at 9 inches.The Apoxie sculpt is a wonderful material drying to a semi gloss finish,almost like Polyurethane resin.

This is really cool work. I am glad you are showing the process you are learning.

Frost Giant finished.Really pleased with the washed out look of this figure.Nice distraction from all the recent sculpting.

Tree man....another arm bites the dust.

OK,Tree man sculpt finished for the moment.If it gets a paint job a few more smaller details will go on, but at this stage robustness is key so people can handle it .Managed to keep full rotation of the upper torso.The last two pics show him twisted with body easily laying over either thigh.Still has front and back movement too.

Great sculpt.

The texture of the wood looks covincing, very realistic. The only thing I could criticise are the eyes. I think they need an eyelash or something to make them look less comic-like. Apart from that it looks awesome. Great work.

Cheers Spawnster, he does have a comic book feel which was unintentional....my care free ,make it up as you go along attitude is to blame for that.

Another awesome sculpt mate. I quite like the eyes. How many trees with eyelashes have you seen recently?
    He is going to look sweet when painted up!

Cheers Gorb, now for a bit of light relief decided to have a go at a custom toy.Made from the parts of four action figures.All additional details added with Apoxie sculpt.

Now back to the serious stuff. Ogre sculpt using Super Sculpey medium clay over an aluminium armature.

Amazing work man. Those sculpt are badass! Super cool face on the tree dude!

Cheers Stephan. Day two on the Ogre.A bit of resizing in a few places plus some skin texture added. The head is only temporary for my own amusement.

Great start! Haha I can see myself adding faces like that when I start to sculpt. Great shape on that guy too. Love the proportions. Nice to see more sculpting from people like you and Chaos. Can’t wait to start tweaking out on that stuff.

Cheers Stephan, now the moment of truth.Decided to add a left hand before putting him in the oven for his first baking.Hopefully no cracks ...

Good luck. After reading that last reply I realized that I hadn’t considered cracking before. Sculpting sounds pretty daunting haha. Is that why you built up the shoulders on your tree guy with tinfoil instead of putty? To help keep uniform thickness and even drying?

I just want to start off by saying I think 90 percent of the tree sculpts on the market are totally cringeworthy. Don’t like em. Wouldn’t paint em. Especially GW ones. Out of all the minis I’ve rated. I think I only like a single GW tree mini and that was because it was painted superbly. Your sculpt however is different. I really like it and I like that cartoonish quality about it too. It has character yet you still know you are looking at a tree. Please don’t change the eyes. They really make the face.

Edit : it would look really good painted up with some moss and vines. Maybe an epiphytic plant or two. Sculpt some fungi along a limb. Awesome.
    Last edited by bullfrog; 02-12-2019 at 06:32 AM.

Wow!!! This is quite a project!!!

Hi Stephan, the Tree man was made from Aves Apoxie sculpt which won't crack and like Milliput and Greenstuff drys by chemical reaction, the disadvantage to this clay is it's speedy drying time but it's really tough.The reason the tin foil was used is to save money on clay.The Ogre is made from Super Sculpey medium which can crack if applied in a thickness of over half an inch. Still finding my way with armatures as I don't want to apply too much tin foil then not be able to sculpt to the required depth.Although on my Great unclean one sculpt I used the Dremel to get some depth back in a couple of areas.The advantage to Super Sculpey is it stays wet until baked so you can take your time which is perfect for more complex projects like the Ogre where i'm not so confident.However Sculpey is brittle and can break easily once hardened.

Managed to get loads done today.The cracked lower leg shows how brittle the clay can be once cured.This happened from me pressing to hard while pushing on new clay.Easy to fix though, it will disappear under the next round of sculpting.