I really can\'t wait for the Wood Elves
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I really can\'t wait for the Wood Elves

Default I really can\'t wait for the Wood Elves

Hey guys,

I am eagerly awaiting the release of the Wood Elves sometime next year, but they are a long way off, and I wondered whether there was any point in starting to collect now.

Many people think the models are ugly, and outdated, but in my opinion, only the wood elf archer regiment is outdated, and I have found the perfect replacement - http://www.wargamesworld.com/item.asp?buyitemno=93825&category=Black%20Tree%20D esign&catgroup=28mm%20Fantasy&catid=Wood%20Elves

I am aware there is no army book released, and that they are not the most popular army ever, but is it silly to start collecting now, even though they will be remade sometime next year? Would I be able to use the older models etc?

Default i agree...

The current Wood Elf line has some great minis in it.

The plastic archers are pretty bad, but the rest of the stuff is very cool. Especially the scouts and waywatchers.

Also, drawing from some of the high and dark elves, you might be able to come up with some pretty cool conversions...

Of all the armies that I have, my Wood Elf is the closest to completion....

I think as far as rules go, there were some pretty extensive \'to get you by\' rules in some of the White Dwarf mags.

I say \'go for it\'...you can always add some of the newer stuff to your existing collection....:D

The codex is the problem though. It will be the first army I have ever collected \'properly\', so i\'d need to know just what i\'m doing.

To add to this, i\'ve never played the table top game, even though i\'ve been a fan of the Games Workshop range for several years.

What do you think of the archers I gave you the link to? Are they the correct sizes, and rather good miniatures?

Just a thought, but would\'nt it be cool to have wood elves riding stags or maybe a stag drawn chariot, it would make a good change from horses. Anyway what about some of the lord of the rings figures, you could even use faramirs rangers.

Originally posted by Brother Tom
    Just a thought, but would\'nt it be cool to have wood elves riding stags or maybe a stag drawn chariot, it would make a good change from horses. Anyway what about some of the lord of the rings figures, you could even use faramirs rangers.
    If I remeber correcctly I posted somwhere on this forum a list of probable upcoming wood elfs mini and stag riders were part of it. So rejoice and curse the ogres for beeing in front of the wood elves ;)
    I think the actual wood elf range as some amazing models. I really like the waywatcher, actually I think they are some of my favorit model from WHFB. And that dragon is definetly good looking :D

The Black Tree line is just a smidge smaller than the \'normal\' GW elves.

I have a few of those (the Wood Elf chariot) and the sculpts are just a little more rudimentary.

I still think they would work very well.

I also like the idea of Wood Elves riding Stags. Hopefully in the next GW incarnation they will be much more feral and in commune with nature.

OK, so it\'s decided ... But the codex! The codex!

I would guess that we may even see centaurs with the new wood elves, that would be nice

There you go found it :
    so for Wood Elves: Concept and early design phase at this point. THe range will be redone making the woodelves a lot wilder (and somewhat creepy ) The Dryads will no longer be trees, but return to more traditional dryads, i.e. wood nymphs (creepy chicks). There will be new troop types including Elk (stag) riders and a sort of swarm/fairy type troop made up of pissed off fuzzy woodland critters. There will be a new metal treeman and best of all, possibly the most joyous news to come out of GW in decades is that there will be a new elven steed! In general the WE will not be HE without armor, instead will have a unique, feral feel to them.

No centaurs as of now though. I\'m eagerly waiting for them to come so I can my very own night elf army complete with yellow eyes and purple skin and blue hair :flip:

Originally posted by frenchkid
    There you go found it :
    so for Wood Elves: Concept and early design phase at this point. THe range will be redone making the woodelves a lot wilder (and somewhat creepy ) The Dryads will no longer be trees, but return to more traditional dryads, i.e. wood nymphs (creepy chicks). There will be new troop types including Elk (stag) riders and a sort of swarm/fairy type troop made up of pissed off fuzzy woodland critters. There will be a new metal treeman and best of all, possibly the most joyous news to come out of GW in decades is that there will be a new elven steed! In general the WE will not be HE without armor, instead will have a unique, feral feel to them.
    Ok, the way you say it makes it very hard NOT wanting to buy them :P

I have got some high expectations for the wood elves and you\'re not making things better Frenchkid!!lol I always liked wood elves, but never liked any wood elf minis.

I think FrenchKid may have something personal against my bank account...

From his posting things about Forgeworld, Ogres, or Wood Elves, he may finally succeed in destroying my savings!
    lollol;)

Originally posted by frenchkid
    a sort of swarm/fairy type troop made up of pissed off fuzzy woodland critters. There will be a new metal treeman and best of all, possibly the most joyous news to come out of GW in decades is that there will be a new elven steed!
    HA HA HA I want a whole army of squirrels and bunnies and duckies!

Seriosuly isn\'t the current elf horse the one that looks pissed off? I\'ve never seen a horse make a triangle with it\'s teeth like that. They remind me of Sauron\'s horses (from the books) where Gandalf tells\' em that more than just orcs are bred in mordor. He needs horses to. Or perhaps the flesh eating horses from the 12 labors of Hercules.

But who cares CONQUOR IN MY NAME CHIPMUNK ARMY OF DOOM! mwah ha ha!

Really new horses?
    I hate the current plastic ones. Lets hope the new ones are better.
    The faerie swarm sounds cool.

aphillipsonuk

Default of course - if you don\'t want gw figures...

i thnk the BEST wood elves i\'ve ever seen (or painted) are from the old master Tom Meier at thunderbolt mountain

www.thunderboltmountain.com

whatever they do woth the GW range i will still be basing the bulk of my army around them!

Originally posted by aphillipsonuk
    i thnk the BEST wood elves i\'ve ever seen (or painted) are from the old master Tom Meier at thunderbolt mountain

www.thunderboltmountain.com

whatever they do woth the GW range i will still be basing the bulk of my army around them!
    wow, indeed, they do!
    thought it was 72mm until i noticedf the ruler besides som of them
    awesome details and by far the most realistic sculpts ive ever seen

The new wood elves are going to be something different! I have been chatting to my mates in the studio and apparently they look bloody awesome. It is rumoured that the masters of the waywatchers and the wardancers have been circulating up at GWHQ and people have been drooling...

Default that is completely unfair!

don\'t be dropping those nuggets without some sort of concrete evidence (ie concept pics...):flame::flame:

lollol

No, just kidding...I crave ANY info on the Wood Elves. I sure hope they capture some of that feral, wild look that is in some of the art of the current Wood Elf book.

Default regarding Thunderbolt mountain miniatures...

Thunderbolt mountain a line of underappreciated miniatures. So many of those miniatures are so well done, but, sadly they never seem to get noticed.

Those Wood Elf miniatures are very cool. They remind me of Tolkien\'s vision of Elves. I will have to definately check some of those out!

Well, the plastic archer(s) suck badly, but I think the metal look decent, but you can check out http://www.jrn-works.dk and see his Woodies, they look great and he used HE shadow warriors for archers.