Urban Sketching Symposium

Thread: Urban Sketching Symposium

Default Urban Sketching Symposium

Guys/Girls;

For the next few days I'm a Volunteer at the 7th International Urban Sketching Symposium in Manchester.
    So I might not be as "Visible" as usual, I'll still be checking Pictures and Comments, just won't have a lot of time for other stuff.
    Please don't think I'm ignoring you, I'm just going to be up to my 'Cuddly Butt' dealing with delegates from All Around The Globe.

If anyone's interested in what this is head over to WWW.URBANSKETCHERS.ORG where pictures should be appearing all through this week.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

1st Volunteer day over, 500 goodie bags packed by hand with a lot of artsy stuff.
    Some of our sponsors have been VERY GENEROUS INDEED.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 164
Size:  161.7 KB

Production line packing.
    And a tired crew.
Views: 165
Size:  124.7 KB
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    , and proud of it.

that is very cool. one of my fave youtube artists is doing a series of urban sketches
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Very cool! Too bad I'm no where near there, that sounds like something I'd enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    Very cool! Too bad I'm no where near there, that sounds like something I'd enjoy
    David, There is an L.A. Urban Sketchers Group.
    Look them up on the main site, it's very good for building up your observation skills.
    , and proud of it.

Well talk about "Herding cats", 500 delegates, 10 volunteers and a few others, including our youngest delegate who is 9 years old.
    Photo taken via 'selfie stick' by my friend Hakym, on Saturday at the traditional close of the symposium.

It's been a BLAST, but I have to admit to being Knackered.
    12 hour days and using 45 year old schoolboy French, a little German, Italian, and what tiny Spanish I know was serious fun.
    (OK so as it turns out I was able to direct Ladies to the Female toilets on the first floor {Second to you Americans})

Made some new friends, had a Damn good laugh at being compared to Tom Selleck by two people at the same time (?).
    Even managed to get a couple of sketches done. ( Those I'll post tomorrow).

Views: 117
Size:  233.4 KB
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 08-01-2016 at 02:34 AM.
    , and proud of it.

Views: 104
Size:  834.3 KB

The Salutation a much drawn and favoured pub.

Views: 103
Size:  568.0 KB

Tina Koyama a luminary in the Seattle Urban Sketchers, caught by me while she was in deep concentration.
    , and proud of it.

cool! love the toned paper
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Have you considered making the oil painting plunge? Your sketches indicate that you may be very skilled at alla prima, loose and painterly style portraiture, figure, or scenic painting. See John Singer Sargent.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    Have you considered making the oil painting plunge?
    B.O.K. The quick line sketch of Tina Koyama was done with 'gifted' brush pens, the Salutation pub with Watercolour pencils. I've not painted "Plein Air" with oils, only in a Studio environment both Bob Ross classes and more traditional Oil structures.

Your sketches indicate that you may be very skilled at alla prima, loose and painterly style portraiture, figure, or scenic painting. See John Singer Sargent.
    Thank you.
    However Urban Sketching doesn't really lend itself to Oils, being a very speedy practise and is much akin to Impressionism at times, which is something I'm more comfortable with using watercolours towards.
    My problem is that my "Mindset" is very detail orientated, which for oils would tend to propel me into the high detail Pre-Raphaelites school and methodology.
    (My pencil work tends to get very detailed rather than sketch based, but it's not a big issue)

If you want to see the loose style of watercolours I'm aiming towards look up Mark Taro Holmes at Www.citizensketcher.com

Oh and if you want an idea of what the symposium was like and a quick interview with me:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYGuiiH0zpA

I'm embarrassing myself around the 12 minute mark, and I really have a face which is best suited to the back of a camera.
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 08-08-2016 at 03:37 PM.
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    If you want to see the loose style of watercolours I'm aiming towards look up Mark Taro Holmes at Www.citizensketcher.com

Oh and if you want an idea of what the symposium was like and a quick interview with me:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYGuiiH0zpA

I'm embarrassing myself around the 12 minute mark, and I really have a face which is best suited to the back of a camera.
    Nonesense! You film quite well! Great interview...

I am a member of the Art and Design Society of Fort Walton Beach. A couple weeks ago, we got a nude model in and she posed for 1 minute, 2 minutes, 4 minutes, etc and then had a 2 hour pose at the end. I was surprised at how much "sketching" lends itself well to oils. They blend themselves quite well, so little attention need be paid to half tones and transitions.

I I very much prefer a half finished, sketched look to my oil paintings. It is actually a challenge to discipline yourself to leave things and not add too much detail. Very often I paint the face with a moderate level of detail and then simply scratch in a background and outline the clothing without painting it in fully. The Tina sketch above somewhat reminds me of this. You captured what was important in the figure and left the rest to our imagination. I love this...I love the spectral highlights on her glasses, the rather austere looking face that looks pensive from its lack of details. You say so much by NOT saying more.

John Singer Sargent is the greatest oil painter. Ever. Next is Rembrandt. The former has always been loose, the latter adopted a loose style over time. Take a look at some Sargent sketches...I think you'll be impressed with what he accomplished in short order.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

BOK; (Which by the way is Portugese for BYE. I found out at the symposium)
    Really going to have to disagree with you about the greatest Oil Painter.
    Singer is amongst the greatest without a doubt, but having seen Rosetti, Rembrandt, Holman Hunt, Titian, and Singer, in the Canvas (so to speak) I couldn't claim any single one of them to be the The Greatest.
    (The UK has some fantastic Art Collections and Galleries, hence my fortune in seeing these.)
    , and proud of it.

Looks like fun, some good work
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    BOK; (Which by the way is Portugese for BYE. I found out at the symposium)
    Really going to have to disagree with you about the greatest Oil Painter.
    Singer is amongst the greatest without a doubt, but having seen Rosetti, Rembrandt, Holman Hunt, Titian, and Singer, in the Canvas (so to speak) I couldn't claim any single one of them to be the The Greatest.
    (The UK has some fantastic Art Collections and Galleries, hence my fortune in seeing these.)
    Extremely jealous that I haven't had a similar opportunity. As such, I will defer to your experience. That is some good company there...love Titian and Rembrandt especially.

BOK!