Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: trying this painting lark again

Default trying this painting lark again

Hi Everyone,

after yet another long break from painting, i have decided to get back on the horse. Im not sure why i keep falling off to be honest. as when I'm doing it I really enjoy it.

I think its mainly getting frustrated with the results. anyway I have decided to try again and not get too caught up in perfection this time. at least not until I have bait of a handle on how to actually paint.

anyway I have been working on this model of mr hyde for the last week or so. its really fun to paint but getting quite fiddly, I think I have painted myself into a corner with the shade and hi light,

anyway heres what I have manages so far, a bit rough around the edges but fun never the less
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks alright to me.what I'll say bud is what I say to everybody and what I've paid attn to. Stop stopping because the fact is painting and getting many finished models through your hands is the only way to get better.this I know and you def will increase your skills to yield better results. Stop stopping ,finish models,and you'll see you def will continue to bloom.its guaranteed. keep on painting.

Sage words from bam, I will add to stave off the frustration of not getting perfect results, aim to make each mini better than the last, it may be slow but you'll get where you want to be if you stick at it

This mini looks pretty good to me too you've got a good save point to continue from

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Looks alright to me.what I'll say bud is what I say to everybody and what I've paid attn to. Stop stopping because the fact is painting and getting many finished models through your hands is the only way to get better.this I know and you def will increase your skills to yield better results. Stop stopping ,finish models,and you'll see you def will continue to bloom.its guaranteed. keep on painting.
    Thanks

sounds very good advice, hopefully this time round i will heed it. getting lots of models cones sounds like a good way forward. I think after this one I will work on some easier ones just to keep the practice up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    Sage words from bam, I will add to stave off the frustration of not getting perfect results, aim to make each mini better than the last, it may be slow but you'll get where you want to be if you stick at it

This mini looks pretty good to me too you've got a good save point to continue from
    thank you. another good aim.

its been a productive weekend for me, I have finished Mr. Hyde as best as i can, still a bit rough, but decided rather then agonise over it, I would instead start a new mini and try and incorporate what I learned.

So I have picked a mini that is quite simpler but will let me focus on my blending and light and shade. so I have gone for a plague priest.

so far I have do the 1st shadow and the first to steps of highlight. I'm quite happy with it so far, the painting seems a lite smoother then my last model.

anyway crits and comment will be appreciated.

cheers

Your so on the track to vastly significant improvement I can see it in mr Hyde (my dog ate mine , not the whole thing Sammy my corgi was nice enough to leave me his head and hand..) and from mr Hyde to the skaven ( simple models with simple shapes yield the gr8test results fro getting better with practice) shows a huuuuge IMPROVEMET already in your highlight placement and wonderful blending and knowledge of. Color choice. I rest my case 1) more models that pass through your hands the steadily better your skillset becomes2) try simple shaped models and diff kinds as you'll get used to mastering your HL/ shading on a bunch of diff shaped surfaces eg space marine armore, wizards of skaven tones etc ill be back and fourth cause your going to be the next most improved artist!!!!

Your so on the track to vastly significant improvement I can see it in mr Hyde (my dog ate mine , not the whole thing Sammy my corgi was nice enough to leave me his head and hand..) and from mr Hyde to the skaven ( simple models with simple shapes yield the gr8test results fro getting better with practice) shows a huuuuge IMPROVEMET already in your highlight placement and wonderful blending and knowledge of. Color choice. I rest my case 1) more models that pass through your hands the steadily better your skillset becomes2) try simple shaped models and diff kinds as you'll get used to mastering your HL/ shading on a bunch of diff shaped surfaces eg space marine armore, wizards of skaven tones etc ill be back and fourth cause your going to be the next most improved artist!!!!
    thanks for the words of encouragement, glad things seem to be moving forwards. I have had a hectic couple of months but have been doing a bit of painting, ill post an update in a mo

so yes I have had a really hectic few months, I've started doing a part time HNC so its taken up most my free time, the first term has been a particualrly work intensive thing as I have had to get my maths up to scratch again, (I've not been to school for 20 years and it was rubbish then). So all this has meant not much painting time. Things should settle next term, so I should have a few hours a week painting time.

anyway enough of that, I have been doing a little painting over the last few weeks, I made a right mess of the skaven so it got abandoned. So I have been working on squig hopper, again I chose this mini because its fairly simple, and its also got lots of character so its been fun to paint so far.

annoyingly i didnt prep the model as well as I should have so there are a few holes in the resin, and I left some flash on round the back, but I have couple more from to do, so i can consider this a practice run.

I thought id give scale 75 colours a go, so I brought the green set which I have used on his skin. they are good colours but taking some learning as they are very different to what I have used in the past.

so most bits are about done. the tabard is what I'm working on currently. I have the shadows done and will be starting the hi-lights this evening.

anyway enough rambling, heres the mini so far.

Name:  IMG_4196.JPG
Views: 365
Size:  80.2 KB

(Edit no idea why its sideways, will have to find out for the next update)
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 12-19-2016 at 05:01 PM.

The squib is looking really nice, I love the scale 75 colours once you get used to them, if I could get them as easily as he paint I'd probably replace 90% of my paints for s75 ones as they run out

The squib is looking really nice, I love the scale 75 colours once you get used to them, if I could get them as easily as he paint I'd probably replace 90% of my paints for s75 ones as they run out

thanks sick, indeed I'm very impressed so far. they seem the blend quite nice once you get the hang of them
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 12-19-2016 at 05:25 PM.

Yeah and the colour choices in the sets seem well thought out for the most part. At first I found it quite difficult to get a smooth base coat down with them but I think I just didn't make a big enough hole in the nozzle, alot of medium came through without much pigment

Yeah and the colour choices in the sets seem well thought out for the most part. At first I found it quite difficult to get a smooth base coat down with them but I think I just didn't make a big enough hole in the nozzle, alot of medium came through without much pigment
    indeed, i found similar. really struggled to get the base coat down. but the colours seems to really work nice when painted on top each other for the shadows and hi-lights. i could almost put them on pure in some cases then just feather it back with a damp brush, and the blends came out pritty smooth

happy new year everyone,

well i didnt get as much painting done over the christmas break as i had of wanted, but i have managed to get the my goblin finished. other then that I had a slight disaster with the base, he came unattached so i need to find a way to reattach him. mind you i noticed that I had made a right mess in preparing him, lots of artefacts from the abomination they call citadel finecast - i mean crickey its like they expect to you to be able to re sculpt the mini as you remove it from the sprew. but i digress.

anyway I have a couple of images of where I got to with him. and yes for the most part I'm quite happy with how it came together, I'm getting better grasp on some elements of blending and light placement. i think. need to work on tidiness still though

Hi everyone,

I'm back after another long absence, I've been really struggling with time since the new year. as I mentioned in my last post I have been a part time HNC and it completly took over. I realised a recently that although learning is important I cant continue to let it take over my life, as I have literarily seems very little of anything other then my studybooks.

anyway now that I have realised my errors I am now making sure that I spend a little bit of time doing the things I love. Painting minis being one of those things.

I have started playing malifaux, so to get me back into painting I'm working on a malifaux crew, I decided that working to tabletop standard might ease me in a bit better, and force me get more minis painted faster.

so yes I have just finished the first mini, its canine remains.....

Name:  canine.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  591.1 KB

Glad your back your stuff rocks bud!!!!

Glad your back your stuff rocks bud!!!!
    thanks BAM, its good to be back

I can see such an improvement in your latest piece of work....even if you have been away from it for a while. Malifaux has some nice minis but they are sooooooo damn small so I'll give you an extra point.

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    I can see such an improvement in your latest piece of work....even if you have been away from it for a while. Malifaux has some nice minis but they are sooooooo damn small so I'll give you an extra point. ������
    thanks for the comment, yes the minis are tiny, I have a zombie chihuahua to do at some point and that is right tiny. but yes really nice minis, i have started working on a flesh contract this evening and its a joy to paint. really nice lines and shapes

having done a bit of self appraisal on my painting, I have concluded amongst other things that Im going too fast.

Years ago I went to a workshop with gollum and studio mcvey, where I learned how to 2 brush blend. I have ever since used this technique. It makes getting the first layers of shadow and hi light down a quick and painless experience, but on reflection, it has made me do this stage too fast. so I find I'm getting loads of paint on the mini without much thought and often my shadows are placed far too heavy handedly and I then spend the rest of the painting time trying to recover from the errors made in the first stage, as much fun as that first stage is, its not been helping.

So with my next mini I have said to myself that I will take it steady, be more mindful with the first steps and then hopefully not have so much correcting to do for the rest of the time. or any correcting that I do do will be more minor tweaks.

I have been working on my next malifaux mini over the last few days, its a flesh contract this time, Im using the same flesh recipe as the my hide model above, but the less heavy handed approach seems to be working better.

I actually got the recipe from a miniature mentor video, but in that video the points were much more diluted, so the effect I have looks a bit different to how it should.

My base coat was hammerfall khaki (P3), then for the first shadow I used gun corpse brown (P3), this was two brush blended, in reality it should have gone on much more transparent and only been used as a guide to the shadows, but going slightly heavyer also made a nice starting point. I tried to ensure that I didn't extend the shadows too far.

The 2nd shadow was sanguine base (p3), again I two brush blended this. I tried to cover a little less of the shadow layer, but for the most part I ended covering up the first layer of shadows completely, but even so it seemed to blend Ok.

Having now got the shadows down where I want them, I will be trying to tidy it up with base colour again, or a mix of the base colour and the shadow colour if I can get things to gel. but yes thats for another time.

anyway heres where i am, flesh construct, rough shadows done......

Name:  construct-1.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  347.9 KB

I went to the same workshop, it was fantastic to meet Mike mcvey. I grew up following his work in white dwarf.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.