Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: trying this painting lark again

Looks like a really strong start to me....so much character in the Malifaux minis

Definately keeping an eye on this developing

Nuffin to do wiv Cassar! Torn blue sky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Solid start and I have to say kudos for diving into NMM on such a tiny sculpt, no easy feat in and of it's own (never mind on something you could inhale building up a mistimed wayward sneeze). Stick with it, look forward to seeing how it turns out!
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    Looks like a really strong start to me....so much character in the Malifaux minis

Definately keeping an eye on this developing
    thanks hairster, yes the malifaux minis are great, so far I have really enjoyed painting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Torn blue sky View Post
    Solid start and I have to say kudos for diving into NMM on such a tiny sculpt, no easy feat in and of it's own (never mind on something you could inhale building up a mistimed wayward sneeze). Stick with it, look forward to seeing how it turns out!
    thanks, yes they are fiddly beggars

some more progress over the last couple of days, I have done his blue scrubs and his leather apron. I'm kinda regretting fully assembling him as its very fiddly painting him. but is I have managed to keep things tidy and not destroy existing work. so i guess the positive spin on it is that I'm practising brush control.

a few things seem to be clicking with blending and light placement, still a way to go, but IMO getting little smoother.

anyway heres sebastian now.

Name:  sebastian-2.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  361.0 KB

Little guy-I don’t envy you embarking on this tiny antagonist- but then again it looks like your not having any problems- keep pace and make certain you finish this guy. It’s starting out absolutely wonderful.nice flesh color palette.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Little guy-I don’t envy you embarking on this tiny antagonist- but then again it looks like your not having any problems- keep pace and make certain you finish this guy. It’s starting out absolutely wonderful.nice flesh color palette.
    thanks BAM, yes will deffo Finnish it, not much left to do now, and besides can't have an unpainted crew on the gaming table for too long

a little more progress over the last few days, Its been pritty slow going, really hard getting at the areas obstructed by the bone saw.

anyway I have got all the black bits done, base coated the metal part of the saw in readiness for shadows and hilights, and i have sent the painted section of the bone saw. I have had a go at doing some battle damage on it, (first go at doing any form of weathering really), I was going to do rust but it ended up as battle damage, Its not gone as well as i hoped it would, seems a like i may have too far with it. or not? (any feedback ideas appreciated )

Name:  sebastian-3.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  332.9 KB

Looking good so far I'd say. Skin is well done and I think the weathering is fine. Don't worry about it, so far so good.

I think the weathering is ok. You will have a better idea once you get some weathering on the saw blade.

Looks like a really cool effect for weathering you got. Maybe some dried blood on the blade or rusted or grimes with oil or hell everything I just mentioned. Lol have fun with it start in small doses than add as you go each time asking yourself is this good enough or do I need a “bit more”

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmar3 View Post
    Looking good so far I'd say. Skin is well done and I think the weathering is fine. Don't worry about it, so far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    I think the weathering is ok. You will have a better idea once you get some weathering on the saw blade.
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Looks like a really cool effect for weathering you got. Maybe some dried blood on the blade or rusted or grimes with oil or hell everything I just mentioned. Lol have fun with it start in small doses than add as you go each time asking yourself is this good enough or do I need a “bit more”
    thanks chaps, I have added some weathering to the blade and it looks better to me know, i was going to not weather the blade, so thanks for suggesting it.

I have done some rust effect on it using forge world weathering powder, only used it once before so was a tricky judging what it was going to do. but yes the orange looks good against the blue, so I left it there.

i have also got the rest of the metals finished, all done TMM style.

anyway heres a quick shot of it so far. pritty bad image but you will get the idea.

Name:  sebastian-4.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  378.5 KB

Something to be proud of!!!

good news everyone, Sebastian is finished. he's been great fun to paint. very fiddly at times, due to assembling before painting, but on the whole I'm pleased with him, and I think i have learned some stuff, and got over my feer of human flesh.

so yes quite happy, heres the finished thing......

Name:  sebastian-5.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  292.1 KBName:  sebastian-6.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  299.9 KBName:  sebastian-7.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  291.5 KB
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 10-09-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Seb's looking good. Nice bold style, and the weathering turned out great on the saw
    error 404: signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Seb's looking good. Nice bold style, and the weathering turned out great on the saw
    Thanks foxtail

over the last couple of evening I made a start on the next model for my malifaux crew, by crickey I may be at this one for months, due to the shear enormity of it........

or maybe not, this is mcmournings totem, the zombie Chihuahua. this has to be the smallest model I have worked on.

Name:  ZC-1.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  406.2 KBName:  ZC-2.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  571.0 KB

over the last couple of days I have finished off the zombie chihuahua, i wasnt getting that happy feeling painting it, (mainly as it was so small) so I didn't spend too much time on it. but heres the finished model.

Name:  ZC-3.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  474.5 KB

today I have made a start on the next member of my malifaux crew, one of the nurses. I have started roughing out a few colours and also done some rough shadows on her flesh. I have also just about finished the flesh on her face. I've attempted doing some eyes for her, there not great, but for tabletop standard they will do for me, I need to get more practise on human eyes, as i never do them.

I have a feeling this model is going to be a tricky one, lots of very small fiddly sections.

Name:  nurse-1.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  383.1 KB

I have also been preparing a skaven plague priest, which plan to take my time on and try improve my blending game on it. I will be chipping away at small sections when the nurse gets too infuriating. no pictures of the rat, its not got any paint on so nothing interesting.
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 10-15-2017 at 08:11 AM.

Nuffin to do wiv Cassar! Torn blue sky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dear god! That chihuahua is TINY! Proper "eyelash on a stick" material that 0.o I have a Raging Heroes Commissar type sculpt to do but been seriously putting it off due to the size lol. You're handling it well, keep it up!
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...