trying this painting lark again - Page 5
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: trying this painting lark again

Pretty... the nurse will find her way to my table as well, probably in a month or three.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oistene View Post
    Pretty... the nurse will find her way to my table as well, probably in a month or three.
    How very dare you! This nurse is no strumpet to be passed around! No sir!
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Quote Originally Posted by droidworkshop View Post
    Love the nurse mate, good work. The basecoat on the troll is really smooth, a strong start
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Digganob View Post
    Nice work coyote. Things are looking good.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Torn blue sky View Post
    Now we're talking! Always wanted to try a river troll. Something about them is just...Well...Awesome. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
    cheers, yes they are very cool models, loads of character, I hope I can do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by oistene View Post
    thanks, cool will keep an eye out, would be good to see another take on her.

Quote Originally Posted by Torn blue sky View Post
    How very dare you! This nurse is no strumpet to be passed around! No sir!
    lol thanks for defending her honour

over the past few days I have started work on my river tolls face. its been pritty slow going for the most part. I'm struggling to decide on what paints to use for the shadow and hi lights. When beginning this model I decided I would try not to complicate colour selection too much as I wanted to work on improving my blends.

But then i decided I wanted part of his flesh to be green and the rest to be yellow brown, a bit like the box art really. what didnt realise was how much more confusing this would make things. anyway I have been working on his face to try and plan some things out and seem to be going round in circles a bit. Im quite happy with where the yellow brown bits are going but the green I'm struggling with. its a bit too bright and saturated.

I tried mixing in some brown and glazing over the top. which look ok, but made colour selection difficult as I didn't now how to go darker and lighter. So for now I have gone back to working mainly with the green and just getting the contrast right, then I may go back with some brown glazes afterwards. or does anyone else have any ideas on how I can tone the green down from hear, without confusing myself too much?

so yes all in a bit of a frustrating start, but I'm going to persevere.......

Name:  troll.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  291.4 KB

a bit more progress on the troll. its slow going but I'm happier with things then last time i posted. getting some of the other areas on his head painted has helped me get a feel for how things are. the green is still a bit too bright for my tastes but I'm going roll with it and then one the whole mini is painted i will go back with some glazes and see what I can do.

but yes although the progress is slow I'm really enjoying it so far. fiddle bugger though, should have painted in sub assemblies really. you live and learn though i guess

Name:  troll2.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  213.1 KB

Those greens on the face are looking great. The eye looks nice to, I always struggled with the eyes.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

For me the caucasian skin tone and green tone look good individually, but look a tad off next to each other. Maybe working some of the skin tone into the green in spots or the green into the skin tones. ...or....looking at the color wheel and using the orangish yellow skin tone and the green as part of a split complimentary, you may be able to work some purple / blue-purple into both halves to tie them together.

btw, I really like the purple tones on the base of the teeth.

he is looking very exciting! love the blue hair! green it's looking good too

Krulebear that’s Ctually some great advice. I do love this piece so far my man ! Told you you’re get the hang of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Krulebear that’s Ctually some great advice. I do love this piece so far my man ! Told you you’re get the hang of it.
    Seems like I heard that color wheel advice from someone on these forums.....lol

thanks all for the comments, glad you like it so far.

@KB i agree there is a bit of clash. I will try some glazed to restore balance. are you thinking mix blue in with the colours I'm using or glaze it on top. I'm not sure how split complimentary colours work in all honestly. I've heard the term a few times but don't what it is.

if you have an andriod phone get the painters colour wheel app it has every thing you need. if you want to go deeper in to theory we can. but first just check out the colour wheel and work out complementary colours then split complementary.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotebreaks View Post
    thanks all for the comments, glad you like it so far.

@KB i agree there is a bit of clash. I will try some glazed to restore balance. are you thinking mix blue in with the colours I'm using or glaze it on top. I'm not sure how split complimentary colours work in all honestly. I've heard the term a few times but don't what it is.
    Yes, all of the above

Probably easiest to glaze the color into assorted areas. Blood As Medium has discussed color theory in his and others threads, so it may be worth taking a look in his wip.

nice one, thanks chaps. I will have play and see what I can come up with.

ill have a look for that app to.

quick update, I took KB advise on board and treid to address the colour clash between the green flesh and the orange flesh. I started off by adding some glazes of despair green (a dark blue/green tone) to the flesh on his chin. this seemed to work so I progressed on to his stomach. I started out by working with the same orange and brown tones I had on the face. then I made a slight error. rather then getting the blends and contrast right first I started to add the despair green glazes. it looked good, but it made tidying the blends difficult. so lesson learned for the future; make sure contrast and blends are right before messing with glazes.

anyway after playing with the despair green for a bit and some tiding with the other colours I decided the shadows were too brown. so i mixed some of the despair green in with my main shadow colour, black leather, which is the nice purple brown KB noticed on the teeth. I'm using despair green and this leather colour in all my shadows to try to make thing mesh more. after throwing all of these paints on randomly for a while, I decided that perhaps some blues was in order on the top of his stomach, so I glazed some sky blue on top. seems to work but I won't be doing lots of this. as in theory the top of his stomach is the lightest part of this flesh tone. the rest will be green.

I have also blended the scales and hornes and based his weeds. So yes right now I wait like how he's looking, not as tidy as I was going for originally but perhaps I will pull something out the bag at a later stage. the green looks a little vibrant now though, but I will probably bet it all painted then see if I want to glaze it back a bit.

anyway this is where it is now. what do you reckon ?

Name:  troll3.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  242.1 KB
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 11-06-2017 at 04:12 PM.

I really like the colours used on the stomach area, coming along nicely

Great mini, and I also like the colours on the stomach, they work together nicely

Looks great so far Coyote....nice pallete of colours and tight work on the eye there.

Keep us updated

thanks chaps much appreciated,

(@ hairster the eye was more luck then judgement truth be told )