trying this painting lark again

Thread: trying this painting lark again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default trying this painting lark again

Hi Everyone,

after yet another long break from painting, i have decided to get back on the horse. Im not sure why i keep falling off to be honest. as when I'm doing it I really enjoy it.

I think its mainly getting frustrated with the results. anyway I have decided to try again and not get too caught up in perfection this time. at least not until I have bait of a handle on how to actually paint.

anyway I have been working on this model of mr hyde for the last week or so. its really fun to paint but getting quite fiddly, I think I have painted myself into a corner with the shade and hi light,

anyway heres what I have manages so far, a bit rough around the edges but fun never the less
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks alright to me.what I'll say bud is what I say to everybody and what I've paid attn to. Stop stopping because the fact is painting and getting many finished models through your hands is the only way to get better.this I know and you def will increase your skills to yield better results. Stop stopping ,finish models,and you'll see you def will continue to bloom.its guaranteed. keep on painting.

Sage words from bam, I will add to stave off the frustration of not getting perfect results, aim to make each mini better than the last, it may be slow but you'll get where you want to be if you stick at it

This mini looks pretty good to me too you've got a good save point to continue from

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Looks alright to me.what I'll say bud is what I say to everybody and what I've paid attn to. Stop stopping because the fact is painting and getting many finished models through your hands is the only way to get better.this I know and you def will increase your skills to yield better results. Stop stopping ,finish models,and you'll see you def will continue to bloom.its guaranteed. keep on painting.
    Thanks

sounds very good advice, hopefully this time round i will heed it. getting lots of models cones sounds like a good way forward. I think after this one I will work on some easier ones just to keep the practice up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    Sage words from bam, I will add to stave off the frustration of not getting perfect results, aim to make each mini better than the last, it may be slow but you'll get where you want to be if you stick at it

This mini looks pretty good to me too you've got a good save point to continue from
    thank you. another good aim.

its been a productive weekend for me, I have finished Mr. Hyde as best as i can, still a bit rough, but decided rather then agonise over it, I would instead start a new mini and try and incorporate what I learned.

So I have picked a mini that is quite simpler but will let me focus on my blending and light and shade. so I have gone for a plague priest.

so far I have do the 1st shadow and the first to steps of highlight. I'm quite happy with it so far, the painting seems a lite smoother then my last model.

anyway crits and comment will be appreciated.

cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Your so on the track to vastly significant improvement I can see it in mr Hyde (my dog ate mine , not the whole thing Sammy my corgi was nice enough to leave me his head and hand..) and from mr Hyde to the skaven ( simple models with simple shapes yield the gr8test results fro getting better with practice) shows a huuuuge IMPROVEMET already in your highlight placement and wonderful blending and knowledge of. Color choice. I rest my case 1) more models that pass through your hands the steadily better your skillset becomes2) try simple shaped models and diff kinds as you'll get used to mastering your HL/ shading on a bunch of diff shaped surfaces eg space marine armore, wizards of skaven tones etc ill be back and fourth cause your going to be the next most improved artist!!!!

Think this was the last time I visited here before my hiatus, all the way back on the first page, just wanted to say you've definitely made a noticeable improvement since then, the troll is coming along nicely

Think this was the last time I visited here before my hiatus, all the way back on the first page, just wanted to say you've definitely made a noticeable improvement since then, the troll is coming along nicely

thanks sicks, glad you can see improvement and welcome back after your hiatus.

All I have to say is your blending has significantly made huuuuge gains and the trolls greenskn reaffirms that!!! Great job ...cmon coyote get him closer and closer this is prob gonna be your best ...you'll see I'm right again!!! the scoring will show and I'll stand by it.