trying this painting lark again - Page 30
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: trying this painting lark again

Those with the Eki rust idea and you’ve got a total package Gone too far gone too far -HOGWASH ITS NEVER TOOFAR !!! Lololll Naruke Dane looks great -after the sponge trick you can gonin with very tight and extremely thin lines diff lengths and in diff directions - just another way to use thespinge trick in tandem with a brush the both used together look very believable it’s an ork not a high class Eldar sissy!!! Great job ninetheless just carry some of the damage over to the boots as horn hinted st and your in !!!!

Nice work. A bit of rust or dirt around the metals on his boots I reckon

I'd also (I know it's at a late stage in the painting) be tempted to drill out the gun barrel
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

This is coming together wonderfully!! shading is beautiful, and the weathering is really pulling it together. Im with BaM, keep it coming!

thanks for all the comments and tips.

I have taken then on board, added some dirt and rust to his boots also some dabs of rest elsewhere. I attempted to drill the gun but found it a bit tricky this late in the game.

So yes I'm calling him done now. for a warm up piece to get my eye in again im happy with how he turned out. learned a few new things along the way. im looking forward to starting my next mini now,

anyway hers some snaps of the finished chap.

Name:  orcfin1.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  820.5 KB

Name:  IMG_9140-copy.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  675.9 KB
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

Looks great! I love it. Nice contrasts between the pants, leather, metals and skin.

Quote Originally Posted by gorb View Post
    Looks great! I love it. Nice contrasts between the pants, leather, metals and skin.
    cheers gorb, glad you like it.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

Well after finishing of my orc last weekend I jumped straight into my next paint job.

im have started work on a creepy figure by freebooters fate, called miedo a morir.

I decided I wanted to try go for a limited palette type of a colour scheme. I had vague idea of what I was after but was not sure, so the first thing I did was what I can only call a colour sketch. whereby I basically just through on same colour quickly to see how they worked.

colour sketch:

Name:  coloursketch.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  809.3 KB

after doing this I have bassiclly spent most of the week working on the back of his cloak trying to get the blends smooth. its been a battle so far in all honestly. on the one hand im struggling to get a nice contrast and on the other im fighting the chalky uneven coverage. So its been lots of backwards and forwards. I think im just about getting to grips with it now though. mind you with all the back and forth I have tried out lots different blending techniques and am starting to piece together an approach that might start yielding results for me.

anyway not wanting to bore you too much with my ramblings. here's where im at with the cloak:

Name:  cloak.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  684.5 KB

a little more tidying on this side then I wil make a start on the front side. hopefully that will come together quicker now I have a vague idea of what im doing.
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 11-14-2019 at 05:59 PM.

That is looking good!
    Are you planning on making the highlights on the cloak lighter still?
    And would you mind sharing some of the realizations you've had in getting over the chalkiness? I've got a long way to go and I'm trying to figure out the 20% that'll get me 80% of the way there

That is looking good!
    Are you planning on making the highlights on the cloak lighter still?
    And would you mind sharing some of the realizations you've had in getting over the chalkiness? I've got a long way to go and I'm trying to figure out the 20% that'll get me 80% of the way there
    Thanks mate,

I'm still trying to decide what to do with the highlights. they are actually a little brighter in real life. but I think it's more a matter that the shadows need to be darker to make the lights pop. But i'm struggling to get them dark at the moment. The flatness of scale 75 paints doesn't help. I am mixing my final shadow with VMC black to try and help, but i think the problem is in the midtone layers. I think I will need to get the inks out before long.

My discoveries with regards to chalkiness are not revolutionary, but more understanding how i was making life harder for myself and then how to fix.

The main causes of chalkiness is putting down a lighter colour on top of a darker colour. As the paint is transparent it shows up really well over the darker base. also as the paint is in a thin inconsistent layer it looks patchy and chalky. This much I pretty much knew all along, but where I was going wrong as I painted a lighter layer, I would notice it going patchy and straight away try to fix it buy blending back with the base colour again, but at this point I would have already done some shadows and the base colour would look patchy over shadow colour. and basically I would be stuck in an ever increasing spiral of messing things up an going round in circles.

But what I have come to discover is that there was no fixing it working this way as every coat I was putting down, was inconsistent and not covering properly. so the bad layers are always showing through, making the whole thing look patchy and chalky. scale 75's are super transparent and very unforgiving in this way, so not helping.

Anyway i have discovered a better aproach, is still do the same blending techniques, i'e use thin paints, push pigment to where you want them to lie, feather with a whet brush etc. but when putting down the layer initially don't get hung up on the blend. My main focus is to get a constant opaque layer. if it blends nicely, that's a bonus but I mainly make sure where the hi light is meant to be, it is solid. then once happy with that, go back with a darker colour or fix the blend where needed. Once things are settling down a bit I can also fix with glazes of midtones with no adverse effects. But ultimatly there is always a transparent dark layer sitting on top of any blend.

Once realising this, it has taken loads (not all mind ) of back and forth out of the process. so yeah not revolutionary, but just really observing what im doing and changing things up.
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 11-16-2019 at 06:04 AM.

Gotta to admit that the green skin is throwing me off right now (I know it will look different later on), but I really like the colors on the rest of it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Gotta to admit that the green skin is throwing me off right now (I know it will look different later on), but I really like the colors on the rest of it right now.

Thanks Eki. The skin will eventually be a more normal looking skin tone. I’m just trying out starting with a green underlayer as it’s supposed to do good things.

Thanks Coyote, that is super helpful!
    no worries, always happy if my discoveries and misadventures can help others in some way.

a mini update.

I spent most the time since my last past working on the front side of his cloak. It was a little quicker working on this side after implementing the learnings I made on the back side. Ive the last couple of daysI have started base coating the flesh. its been very slow work. the pain does not cover well at all. I'm on about coat nine and it still not quite there.

so yeah a bit more work there then I can try and get the shadows and hilgihts in.

sos yeah here's where im at.

Name:  beaky.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  561.4 KB