Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: trying this painting lark again

Hey CB

Don't loose heart on the Skaven....tricky minis to pull off when they are all robe like him. I've made a decision when buying minis recently to only look for things that motivate me creatively and to ensure they are not monotonous to paint and that there are not too many details I need to adhere to as I know my attention span will dwindle rapidly.

Keep at it and at the worst as you say put it down to experience and use it for the next mini.

The wet blending experiment looks positive, some flow improver added to your paint can help keep everything wet whilst you work on it....also keep those paints as thin as possible. I've been more prone to doing similar myself more recently, just trying new techniques on old stuff I don't care about...great carefree way to hone your skills.

thanks hairster. will try some flow improver next time for sure. and yes keeping on with the rat.

right so, for the most part this seeking I have been working on my plague priest.

ive completed the staff, it probably won't show in the photo but I got some nice blends going on in the skull that im quite pleased with. I have also got further along with the flesh, its pretty much finnished, but I will probably visit it again before the end. I have also made a start on some of the details assitcted with the fleshy parts. claws nails boils etc.

an finally I have done the leather bit of the book. I wasn't going to introduce another colour but decided it needed one in the end. So went for red with green shadows...

so yes heres the state of play so for the week....

front:
    Name:  rat-4-front.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  552.9 KB

back:

Name:  rat-4-back.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  581.0 KB

Hell yeah that book, omg that looks sensational, it’s all coming together quite nicely man.

That book is particularly excellent. Nice work
    error 404: signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Creations View Post
    Hell yeah that book, omg that looks sensational, it’s all coming together quite nicely man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    That book is particularly excellent. Nice work
    thanks chaps, yes I'm happy with how the book turned out to. It was a bit of a happy accident really as stated painting green then changed my mind

and so here it is, in all its glory... my first ever freehand:

Name:  rat-5-front.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  564.2 KB

and so yes, they can only get better I guess (hopefully)

Nice work on the freehand bud. It looks excellent and fits the model perfectly.
    error 404: signature not found

Well you powered through the ugly phase of painting a model to it really starting to gel. Nice job getting to this point.

I really like the red with green shadows on the book cover. Great job on the free hand. I'm always very nervous to do that after spending so much time getting the figure to that point. Looks like a classic plague monk - good job.
    pax et bonum

A massive for the freehand !!!! Turned out brilliant.

Thanks chaps. Glad you think the free hand is acceptable. Ive been too afraid to try it for a long time. But now I have I'm already planning on doing more

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotebreaks View Post
    But now I have I'm already planning on doing more

That's it now you are hooked!! Really addictive!

Haha I second that I’m now looking for places to add a little freehand

If this is your first than you have an innate ability to do this imagine 100 more lil freehands and project them in your mind how Uber awesome they will be each time getting more and more proficient at it!!! Great job!!!

The freehand has come out well mate, are you planning on putting anything else on the right hand page? It looks a bit plainer with just the symbol,maybe some text underneath?

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    If this is your first than you have an innate ability to do this imagine 100 more lil freehands and project them in your mind how Uber awesome they will be each time getting more and more proficient at it!!! Great job!!!
    Thanks BAM . I really struggle to draw with a pen and pencil. So I guess there must be something that I can use. Define TK need to get a few hundred done to get better though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    The freehand has come out well mate, are you planning on putting anything else on the right hand page? It looks a bit plainer with just the symbol,maybe some text underneath?
    thanks sicks , I wasn’t planning on doing anything there. That big symbol was meant to be the centre piece, but I will have think and see if there is any thing else I can think to do.

i might put some stains and marks ion as well for some additional interest if I can work out a way to do it.

Wow man, the shading and detail are freaking awesome!
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

The freehand looks perfect. The monk itself screams diseased rodent. Excellent work.
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland