trying this painting lark again - Page 15
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: trying this painting lark again

Lovely simple, clean and well executed freehand there CB. The model has really pulled together....perseverance pays off! Well done mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Digganob View Post
    Wow man, the shading and detail are freaking awesome!
    thanks digga glad you think so

Quote Originally Posted by moetle View Post
    The freehand looks perfect. The monk itself screams diseased rodent. Excellent work.
    thanks moetle, glad the disease is showing as that was the plan

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    Lovely simple, clean and well executed freehand there CB. The model has really pulled together....perseverance pays off! Well done mate.

Thank very much hairster and yes glad I didn’t throw the towel in . But will be more careful selecting projects in future

so my plague priest is pritty much finished as far as painting goes. Just need to make a base for him now. I may tweak a little further once he's on the base but to be honest honest ive not really enjoyed this one and am keen to move to pastures new. Still I feel I have learned some stuff, and I did my first free hand. so yes not a waste of time

Name:  rat-6-front.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  420.0 KB

Name:  rat-6-back.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  453.1 KB

Well done coyote, I think you have done some brilliant blending work on this figure. I still believe this is one of the best painted books I’ve seen on a mini, that’s something you should be really proud of. All round an excellent paint job.

Quote Originally Posted by metalasmedium View Post
    NICE! I like him!
    thanks nice

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Creations View Post
    Well done coyote, I think you have done some brilliant blending work on this figure. I still believe this is one of the best painted books I’ve seen on a mini, that’s something you should be really proud of. All round an excellent paint job.

Thanks very much CC must admit I’m happy with the book too. Tried very hard with the blending , so glad you like that to

I have some models lines up that should let me get some better blending practice in to

Good for you seeing this one though....was definately worth the effort.

Onwards to something new and hopefully more satisfying!

He may have been a pain in the rear for you, but he turned out to be a pretty nice mini.

thanks chaps, yes glad i persevered. Treid him out on his WIP base this morning and already looks a lot better. so looking forward to getting the base painted now and finishing it off.

I have some great new minis in the pipeline. hard to decide what to do next. well i have decided on the next model as I alternate between malifaux and display. so it a malifaux next. which will hope fully give me a couple of weeks to decide the next display project.

The skin tone and the boils on the priest are very well done; looks disgustingly putrid . And like Chaotic said, the book looks great!

Thanks Octavian (sorry for the late reply)

Ok So over the last couple of evenings I have made a start on a new mini.

this time it is another member of my Malifaux Crew, Rafkin.

I have decided on for this model I want to accomplish two things. The first is to get a really strong feeling of the light source, I have decided to go for zenital, the idea being that an easy light source will help me better focus on getting it looking right. As well as there being a really strong light I want to push the shadows hard as well. really going for some very strong contrast if possible.

The second thing im trying to do is use a muted, desaturated pallet with only some very strong hints of colour. allot of the malifaux artwork has really neutral colours then spots of strong colour, this is something I really like.

So the plan is to have lots neutral colours so brown will feature allot, brown hair, brown trousers, brown belt. Then another neutral colour white, his apron will be white. (its blue now but I will be working up to white.) skin will be fairly pale, starting again with brown and beige tones, will then add some red to liven it up. His shirt will be a very dark green. so there is colour there but not too much. then for the hit of real colour I plan to add loads of blood splatter to his apron. this blast of colour will hopefully really stand out in a nice way. It will also contrast with the green shirt. I can also use the same red to darken the green and add life to the skin, so add harmony. thats the plan any way.

I got my hands on the figopedia book yesterday. This has given me loads of ideas with regards to lighting so with that in mind I attempted to sketch in lights and shadows first thing.

I usually do this in a more subtle way but thought id try going stronger. At this stage i'm not sure if it will help or hinder. but nothing ventured nothing gained. the difficult thing was getting the light the correct shape, also getting a nice opaque layer down is not working too well. doesn't help the the mini is so small. So I have placed lights but they are probably to scruffy to be used in any serious way. But yes guess I will find out.

So yes thats the plan lets see how he turns out.

Anyway here he is so far, (anyone who does the sketching thing do you know if i need to get my light patches covered better, or will sort itself out further down the line?)

Name:  rafkin-1.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  430.2 KB

This is basically what I do at the start of a project, take 2 or 3 colours for an area and sketch in the highlights and sometimes shades, it helps visualise the final look without spending too much time on it, easy to adjust the light source if needed too then. I'll look forward to seeing how this goes

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    This is basically what I do at the start of a project, take 2 or 3 colours for an area and sketch in the highlights and sometimes shades, it helps visualise the final look without spending too much time on it, easy to adjust the light source if needed too then. I'll look forward to seeing how this goes

cheers sicks, yes it seems like it might be helpfull. As long as im able to smooth things off sufficiently. will find out over the weekend no doubt.

Hui ui. I want to learn sketching too and try it again on my next mini
    As far as I've seen exmaples in videos and tutorials these guys go pretty wild with highlights in this sketching stage. Blending pure white with wet in wet techniques.

the difficult thing was getting the light the correct shape, also getting a nice opaque layer down is not working too well.
    It seems your white was a bit too thin. If you try to build up coverage with that thin white be patient. On the belly it looks like you are starting to get craters. This happens when you go over a surface that hasn't fully dried. With the shapes you are on the right track. Seperate your mini into different parts and imagine them as simple geometric forms. Belly=ball, arms=cylinders ...
    But you did that right already ^^ Just work out the white a bit more and don't be scared. It might look quite messy in the beginning but you have plenty of time to work it out in the further painting progress.

Then another neutral colour white, his apron will be white. (its blue now but I will be working up to white.)
    If you want it to be white in the end I'ld recommend to try it the other way around. Means start bright and shade it down. Since your blue is quite dark it might get quite hard to push it towards white. (you see that it's already quite hard to sketch in the white and it's hard to get the coat even)

Another thing you might want to consider is darklining/blacklining. It really helps to define the different parts of your mini and gives it an overall cleaner, defined look.
    Missed that on the skaven a bit. The blendings are super nice but the the details kinda blurr a bit into each other.

Hope it helps you. You are on a good way. Keep trying new things

I've started wet blending for that, I'm not very good at it but it's enough to fudge the line between colours which makes it easier to glaze smooth later

[QUOTE=Sicks;857147]I've started wet blending for that, I'm not very good at it but it's enough to fudge the line between colours which makes it easier to glaze smooth later[/QUOTE

yes I should have tried that really. I was doing some feathering but the areas
    were to small for any real control . Need to try and get more into wet blending in general I think

its been a busy few days so i haven't got as much painting done as i would have liked. never the less I have made a start on rafkin's face. I may still come back with a little more lights but for most part its about there i think. i have also done a tiny bit of smoothing on his shirt, still loads more to do but I just wanted to see how well the base colour smooths.

i tried to paint some eyes in but they are too small for me to see. so it was all guess work really. the detail on this face are tiny, making me box eyed trying to paint.....

anyway heres where were at.....

Name:  rafkin-2.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  482.0 KB

a little more work on rafkin this morning. more work on his face and his hair. damn this model is difficult struggling to focus on any of the details. (think I need to get my glasses upgraded lol ) anyway still looking quite rough. but I think im in a position to start work on the rest of him. ill probably come back to the face once some of the other ares are looking better.

Name:  rafkin-3.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  737.9 KB

Looking good man, the skin tone is great, just the right amount of contrast at this stage...

Thanks CC. its a new recipe so glad you like it.

ive been doing more stuff this afternoon. mainly smoothing out his green shirt. trying to make the blends as smooth as possible and get as much contrast in there as possible. the fold in the cloth are tiny so its very careful work. I thought it would be fun to get my proper camera out and see what a image from that looks like.

cricky it looks rough, to the naked eye it looks reasonable, but man I need to do loads more smoothing to make it work on camera.....

Name:  rafkin-4.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  481.5 KB

(needless to say the 6D will be staying in my bag in future