trying this painting lark again - Page 2
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: trying this painting lark again

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    I went to the same workshop, it was fantastic to meet Mike mcvey. I grew up following his work in white dwarf.
    ah cool, i remember there being a few members from here there didn't realise you were one of them and I've been dipping into your WIP thread for a while now.

yes it was a great day and great to meet mike, also very cool to see his jade night mini IRL as well. i would say I learned loads on the day, but its only recently that some of what I learned is making sense. For example its only now that Im beginning to understand how to 2 brush blend. I could do with another lesson on skin tones and NNM thoughts most of that knowledge is now forgotten......

I like the shading on the Malifaux piece. Looking pretty good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain927 View Post
    I like the shading on the Malifaux piece. Looking pretty good so far.
    thanks captain

i was supposed to be studying today, but after a busy week at work, I wasn't in the right frame of mind for solving maths problems. So I made the sensible choice, put on some tunes and wheeled over to my painting dest to work some more on my flesh construct. After only a few brush strokes I realised I had made the right decision.

So I started out trying to tidy up the blending with some of the base colour (hammer fall khaki) with the add bit of the shadow colours here and there. but after a short time I realised I needed to get some lighter tones in there as a point of reference.

So I started out with a mix of hammer fall khaki and ivory (vallejo) applied it to the main areas of lighter flesh, then went another layer lighter by mixing in some more ivory, this was applied to smaller zones of light flesh. I then went back over the mini with with diluted mixes of all the colours used so far to try and smooth out the blending.

I felt I needed to go darker in the shadows some mixed some deep sea blue into the sanguine base to make a nice dark purple and applied this to very small areas of the deepest areas. after that a few rounds of tidying layers, and things seem to be starting to blend reasonably well.

I think some of transitions are too sharp with abrupt changes from dark to light, so next session will probably be another tidying session.

but yes all in all its been a nice afternoons painting.......

Name:  construct-2.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  252.9 KB

finnished the flesh off today. started out with some watered down applications of the main flesh shades, also did his face at the same time. the finished with some very dilute washes of irati green (scale 75) and ultra marines blue (GW) just to add a bit of nuance to the skin. Im going to start the metal bits next week, I'm feeling like i need another colour in there as an anchor, so I can decide if the flesh needs anything else. also once the metals are done I can come back to the skin and add some bruising and soreness where the implants are.

anyway this is where I am.........

Name:  construct-3.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  222.0 KB

quick session this evening, just added some black blue mix to the metal areas in preparation for the metalics. just getting rid of the grey prima seems to have brought more depth out of the flesh.

quite happy with progress, so far, but would be interested to read any critiques.... on progress, particularly shadows, are they too much ?

Name:  construct-4.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  408.5 KB

Shadows are not too dark, contrast is your friend.

I like where this is going. I suggest trying to add a little purple and red inks here and there, that will make it look more sore and decayed. Particularly where parts join, this will look great.

Quote Originally Posted by oistene View Post
    Shadows are not too dark, contrast is your friend.

I like where this is going. I suggest trying to add a little purple and red inks here and there, that will make it look more sore and decayed. Particularly where parts join, this will look great.
    thanks Oistene, that sounds a good plan, i shall give it a go once I have the metalics sorted.

In other news I have just noticed there supposed to be exposed brain underneath the metal bits on his head, does any one have any ideas on how to paint that? i suppose it should be blue/grey or reddish to match the scheme, but not sure, may be a contrasting colour?.....

Try a cool light grey mix in some off whit with it than when dry, use some extremely thinned down carrosburg crimson to that in the recesses.

Thanks BAM will give that a go.

EDIT: I gave it a go, only had baal red though, but seems to have worked Ok.
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 09-17-2017 at 06:44 AM.

Love it. Has a real bruised, battered, and abused feel to it.

Good news everyone, the flesh construct is finished.

for the most part I'm happy with it, I feel like I have learned things, going slower at the shadow stage was definitely a good idea. I think if it were a display mini id probably try and get things smoother, but being as it for gaming I think I done enough and should move onto pastured new.

but yes if any one has any comments or crits on what I've done so I can take some learnings to the next model that will be a big help.

hope you like him anyway.

cheers

Name:  construct-6.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  386.2 KBName:  construct-5.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  334.2 KB

Blog Entries

Noice! came along very well. Listening to the comments really helped. I sense greatness in you =P Keep it up, let this give you the boost you need to get dug back in. It's good stuff, well done.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Quote Originally Posted by Torn blue sky View Post
    Noice! came along very well. Listening to the comments really helped. I sense greatness in you =P Keep it up, let this give you the boost you need to get dug back in. It's good stuff, well done.

thanks for the kind words, will keep at it.

Super piece.

For improvement on your next project, I suggest that you look around at rust effects. There are some really neat things you can do that are really simple and look really good.

thanks chaps.

Oistene i will give that go on the next one for sure, something I've been meeting to try for a while so may as well take the plunge.

It's a lot easier than it looks, and you've got loads of people you can ask for advice here!

i have just got back from a weeks holiday, so not much painting has happened recently , I was hoping to get some done while i was away but the cottage i rented had no room to set up. but in between times I have started another model.

Its another one from my malifaux crew, so again not going for display standard but still trying to get a good finish.

In the interest of learning, I will be trying some new stuff out on this mini. As per oistenes suggestion I will do some rust or weathering of some type, probably on the bone saw, I have also made my first attempt at doing a proper human flesh tone (with the help of the scale 75 flesh set; which is really nice BTW), well I did have a lesson in faces years ago at the workshop i mentioned, but I've not tried it since, as its something I've always been scared to mess up. I have also attempted some NNM and painted glass effects on the goggles. again fist go a NNM since after that workshop.

so yes a few new things in there, the NNM didnt go as well as I hoped, probably a bit too smaller thing to start out on though really.

anyway, this sebastian so far......

Name:  sebastian-1.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  426.0 KB
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 10-02-2017 at 05:11 AM.