Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: trying this painting lark again

That's a fleshy squig. It'll be awesome!
    error 404: signature not found

Awwwww i looove this mini I’m so looking forward to your completion but will def love the ride each step of the way.

what a cool looking figure... and off to a great start with some nice smooth base colours, can’t wait to see how you approach this!!!

p.s. nice to see another greenskin pop up in the forums

Looking good but that sounds like a lot of time for a base coat to me, maybe paint is a little too thin? Something I do when I'm base coating lighter colours is to first paint it white, painting for example a light skin colour over black can be a nightmare but it's a little easier over white

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    That's a fleshy squig. It'll be awesome!
    cheers, i hope so, I thought id for something a bit natural (ish) fleshy looking

Quote Originally Posted by metalasmedium View Post
    C'mon show us what you got!
    aye, hopefully something.....

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Awwwww i looove this mini I’m so looking forward to your completion but will def love the ride each step of the way.
    hopefully it will be a fun ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Creations View Post
    what a cool looking figure... and off to a great start with some nice smooth base colours, can’t wait to see how you approach this!!!

p.s. nice to see another greenskin pop up in the forums
    Cheers CC, yes agree always good to get more greenskins in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    Looking good but that sounds like a lot of time for a base coat to me, maybe paint is a little too thin? Something I do when I'm base coating lighter colours is to first paint it white, painting for example a light skin colour over black can be a nightmare but it's a little easier over white
    Thanks sicks, I may thinning too much, hard to tell. I find with scale 75 I have to thin them to a point where they flow, they seem to be quite thick and viscous before you get good amount on water in them. I check on my have that the paint is still opaque, but I fins the lighter colours take loads of coats.

Mind you on this one I priced black for a change, which didn't really help. I will not be doing that again. I usually go grey.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

Hello Coyote!
    Passing by your thread and gone through it with "fast" read t.. I really like those Malifaux miniatures... that GW troll was great! specially it's bright colours and his gaze. I pity this last miniature... his apron was so clean and white... hahaha
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    Hello Coyote!
    Passing by your thread and gone through it with "fast" read t.. I really like those Malifaux miniatures... that GW troll was great! specially it's bright colours and his gaze. I pity this last miniature... his apron was so clean and white... hahaha
    hi Maenas, thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the kind words. yes the apron a scary moment.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

i'll be honest, I fell off the wagon a bit this week, I was away working for a couple of days, but in the time ive been home I have pritty much done no painting. I got completely sucked into a netflix blackhole. I have managed to drag myself out of now though thankfully and I have picked up the brush again.

today I have been sketching in the lights and shadows using the good old two brush blending technique. I have been trying to get a nice bit of zenital lighting and lay the foundations for some nice contrast.

its looking a bit messy but I think things are where they should be. next job will be smoothing out and pushing the contrast further. Well thinking about it ive still got to do the shadows for the squig, but then once those are done I can then start smoothing and stuff.

so yes here's where im at now.

Name:  gobbo2.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  518.8 KB
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 04-14-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Missed the response before but yes I have the same trouble with scale 75, maybe a side effect of using them with brush instead of airbrush but it can take forever to get a solid colour with the middle or higher tones, I know they have their own brand of thinner which maybe works better but I never bought any, inks can be good to increase flow without hurting the coverage as much but I generally only use it if my ink is a close match for the paint I'm using, I only have the scale 75 inks and can't be bothered with trying to mix up a time close to he paint I'm using

I agree with you, I reckon he is exactly where he should be at this point. It’s looking awesome and I can’t wait for more progress
    error 404: signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    Missed the response before but yes I have the same trouble with scale 75, maybe a side effect of using them with brush instead of airbrush but it can take forever to get a solid colour with the middle or higher tones, I know they have their own brand of thinner which maybe works better but I never bought any, inks can be good to increase flow without hurting the coverage as much but I generally only use it if my ink is a close match for the paint I'm using, I only have the scale 75 inks and can't be bothered with trying to mix up a time close to he paint I'm using
    i might have to try the thinner at some point. I have some VMC glaze medium on order that I plan on trying soon. never used mediums before always stuck with water but would like to see if they improve things any

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    I agree with you, I reckon he is exactly where he should be at this point. It’s looking awesome and I can’t wait for more progress
    cheers foxy glad you think so to. should hopefully get more done on him this week.
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 04-14-2018 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metalasmedium View Post
    More paint!
    That is my main plan for today as it happens

Looking good mate, building up nicely.

Curse you netflix. Stop making good shows.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Creations View Post
    Looking good mate, building up nicely.
    Cheers CC

Quote Originally Posted by Digganob View Post
    Curse you netflix. Stop making good shows.
    indeed, the are buggers for doing that. mind you this time round i wasn't even watching anything good. was a proper take over.

trying to get off on the right foot this week I have got some more work done.

First of all sketched in the shadows for the squig:

Name:  gobboside.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  390.8 KB

And then stated trying to smooth out the goblins face (doesn't look much smooth on the photos, but is marginally better IRL):

Name:  gobboface.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  454.5 KB

So I should be able to focus on the blending over the coming week. (and this time there will be no netflix I promise)
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 04-16-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Love this mini. Great work so far mate.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Keep chipping away it’s looking better and better.